Do they still have another classic left in them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seconds

The Fly
What do you guys think? Do you think U2 still has another classic left in them? I think they do.

Let's hope its the next album.

PS I mean a classic in a true sense. For example albums like The Joshua Tree and Achtung that are not only loved by us but by the rest of the world.

No offence to POP or ATYCLB fans :)

daisybean said:
:shrug:

Who knows....

Personally I think that everyone of their albums have at least one classic song on it. Just because the mainstream media didn't glorify it, doesn't mean that it can't be considered classic.

I understand your point of view, but I'm talking about an album with 8 or more classic songs, not just several songs. IMO POP and ATYCLB have about 3 classic songs, but I wouldn't call the whole album classics.

Besides, I didn't say the album's had to be glorified by the media to be a classic. But usually, a classic album is an album that is loved not only loved by the media, but also by the fans and critics also. Usually....

Anyways, I think it's gonna happen. They have an 80's classic album, a 90's classic album and now we just need 00's classic album.

:huh: But I have heard ATYLB referred by MANY (fans, critics, etc) as U2's third masterpiece.

Oh, yeah...There's always hope that there will be another classic. Definitely!

wertsie said:
:huh: But I have heard ATYLB referred by MANY (fans, critics, etc) as U2's third masterpiece.

The critic who reviewed ATYCLB in Rollingstone called it U2's third masterpiece, and almost every write-up about U2 written after that review mentioned that Rollingstone dubbed ATYCLB U2's "third masterpiece." I don't agree with this. I like ATYCLB, but the album hasn't aged as well as AB or JT. (Or Pop...or UF...)That, in my mind, is a characteristic of a classic.

While I don't doubt that U2 have some great albums still left in them, I don't think that they will be able to come up with a collection of songs as timeless as AB or JT. I'd love for them to prove me wrong though. :)

Last edited:
To be fair, 2 years is hardly "aged." But it is my humble opinion that All That... is a born classic and will age well with time. Maybe it won't be so popular with the regulars in these parts, but for the "average" music fan, this album will be treasured like masterpiece. Is it a "big 3?" :yes:

Of course they do. Don't underestimate ATYCLB's legacy either. Rollling Stone and some other highly placed people have already called it a classic. Think about it now, BD, Walk On, Kite, and all the songs with significance to the times: POE, WILATW, New York and even Stuck. I really believe this is an album that will be remembered even greater as time goes on and will go down as a part of history, not just musically but of social and cultural importance.

Beautiful Day will be a classic.

As far as the rest of ATYCLB, I don't know if it will be the classic caliber of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I think it will probably get the recognition that The Unforgettable Fire does, not overtly acclaimed but nothing to laugh at.

TUF is my second fave album

Hmm. Interesting topic.

I'd like to think they do, but truthfully, I'm wondering if they'll just make one or two good-but-not-great albums and then retire.

That said, I think ATYCLB is a classic. It's a very good album, and definitely has several classic songs on it. Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, and really, even In a Little While. If ATYCLB is a sign of what they can still do, I think the next album(s) will be definitely be good.

My only worry is if they DO make another good album, that it'll be just as .. classic U2. I'd like them to be adventurous and daring again, but I don't know if they can. I guess we'll just have to see. :shrug:

Classic...what you think may be a classic, I think of as an average album. (Joshua Tree). I think that Zooropa is a classic, although it doesn't have the mass appeal that JT had. I think that U2 continues to grow with each album. (Except Rattle and Hum). I think that "Electrical Storm", and definately "Hands that built America" is a step up from ATYCLB, which was a step up from POP. I think the next album will be great. Tell me this...has U2 ever disapointed you? Honestly, have they? Just because the media said POP was a FLOP, doesn't mean that the music was bad. The next album will seriously kick ass. They threw some of the heavier tunes off ATYCLB, and hopefully we'll get some of those. I'm not expecting another Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree. I expect something better, because that is the standard they have given us.

U2Kitten said:
Rollling Stone and some other highly placed people have already called it a classic.
Most of the people who work for Rolling Stone are complete idiots. Ick.

Anyway, I think they could still pull a classic off. There's a lot of great music that hasn't been written yet, I'm sure, and even though I didn't love ATYCLB, I don't think they're burnt out yet.

is there an established definition of "classic"? looks like that's the only problem here.

IWasBored said:
is there an established definition of "classic"? looks like that's the only problem here.

Yeah...It's such a broad term, isn't it?

I guess when I think of "classic" I think of albums that a band will be remembered for...even by people that are not necessarily fans. Albums that will stand the test of time. I think that the band has released three such albums so far, JT, AB, and ATYCLB. This definition has nothing whatsoever to do with how I, personally, feel about the albums. It's just based on observations I have made...

When I mention U2 to people who aren't as familiar with their work, they always either bring up JT or AB, and now, ATYCLB...I don't think that's just because ATYCLB was their most recent album. When POP was released, people I talked to were still talking about JT and AB. POP? What was that? But with ATYCLB, in general, it was totally different.

*reminder: this is all based on my observations and not on my opinions, so I don't think it's TOO biased :sexywink: I mean, you all KNOW how much I love POP!*

I think that it's really the outside world that makes an album a classic, not necessarily the band itself. I mean, there are gazillions of great albums out there that for whatever reasons are not considered as classics. It depends so much on where you ask, too: in one country, a band might be considered as a one-hit wonder, whereas somewhere else it's albums might be worshipped as true classics.

So while it's up to the band to create a great album quality-wise, the rest is pretty much out of their hands.

Saracene said:
I think that it's really the outside world that makes an album a classic, not necessarily the band itself. I mean, there are gazillions of great albums out there that for whatever reasons are not considered as classics. It depends so much on where you ask, too: in one country, a band might be considered as a one-hit wonder, whereas somewhere else it's albums might be worshipped as true classics.

So while it's up to the band to create a great album quality-wise, the rest is pretty much out of their hands.

that's an interesting point. *thinking*

let's see:
boy
october
war
uf
jt *classic*
rattle & hum
achtung baby *classic*
zooropa
pop
atyclb

next one is destined to be a classic.

*hopes*:reject:

Saracene said:

:yes: That's a good point. I think you're right. It's such a subjective topic to begin with, isn't it?

ATYCLB not a classic compared to...

...WAR

I like ATYCLB but War qualifies as more of a classic to me now b/c it represents the best album in that period of U2's history.

It also has songs that helped create the image of an activist and political band that people sometimes remember of U2. When people think of U2, they think of Sunday, Bloody Sunday as much as With or Without You or One. Heck, I've reas of many U2 fans and non fans prefer War style U2 over their Joshua Tree and Achtung work.

It has many songs that qualify as classics (SBS, New Year's Day, Two Hearts..., 40, Drowning Man [to many U2 fans it seems], etc...

Heck, I hear War era stuff on classic rock stations more than any other U2 songs.

ATYCLB doesn't have enough years to qualify it as anything classic. Heck, I think third masterpiece is a little bit much...

War was considered the best of the early rock/ new wave U2. Joshua Tree was the best of the early experimental/ delay driven U2, and Achtung was the best of the ironic U2.

Back
Top Bottom