Do the New Mixes/Singles improve Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mobvok

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Everything you know is wrong, eh? So I pose the title question for you.

As far as I know, the complete list of changes is as follows:

Discotheque [New Mix]
If God Would Send His Angels [Single Version]
Staring at the Sun [New Mix]
Last Night on Earth [Single Version]
Gone [New Mix]
Please [Single Version]

I consider the Jools Holland Velvet Dress to be an outside collaboration, and so I'm not including it on this list. Thread starter's priviledge. Also, I don't have it. :wink:

So, do they improve Pop? My answer- NO.

The Discotheque New Mix sounds like they got halfway done with it then quit. It's a nice start, with an appealing intro and the Edge's riff is cleansed of the dense production of the original, but at the end it finishes a little TOO underproduced. .... .... Discotheque! .... ..... Discotheque!

Underproduced, and underwhelming.

IGWSHA, Staring at the Sun, and Gone fail to muster a sort of reaction either way. They're not my favorite songs to begin with, so absent some compelling reason I will stick with the album versions.

Last Night on Earth is clearly inferior in the Single version. The most immediate removal is that of the "false start" guitar at the very beginning. When people talk of Pop's appeal being that of a work-in-progress, that's part of it right there. For the Single, the opening was sanded down into a more bland concoction. The bridge is also completely reworked to match the live version, which is a mistake in my opinion because it had no need to be altered at all. The bridge is fine, if you're going to change something, why not the chorus?

Ironically for a song that Bono recorded the final vocals on at 7 the morning the album had to be mastered, I also prefer the vocals of the album to the single. Maybe it's because at that point he was knee-deep in a tour and his voice was suffering accordingly, but it's a little raspy and harsh.

Finally Please.

"'Cause you, my love, I could never believe."

8 words. In spite of the added solo, in the album version, they begin to be said at 4:48, and in the single, 4:49. On Pop, it takes 14 seconds from that point until the song resolves. On the single, it takes a minute as we wait....and wait....and wait for Bono to stop dragging out those 8 words. Then we wait even longer for the electronic twinkling to stop. It's a nifty conclusion live, but it belongs in a live performance. If I put this in Pop instead of the album version, I don't feel like waiting 40 seconds to get to Wake Up Dead Man.

On the album, Please has an electronic rhythm, a repetition, and an efficient, uncluttered approach that is really immensely charming to me. The absence of the solo is disappointing, but the "oohs" at the end almost make it up for me. Into the Heart said that both the instrument and vocal tracks were recorded in one take. They hit the nail on the head the first time. With the single version of Please they had an opportunity to fix a few minor things like Adam's bass being out of key and the lack of solo, but it was altered so much that, while still being a better mix then any of the New Mixes could dream of, it loses sight of the original. It's tough, but the Pop Please is superior IMO.

Your opinions? Thoughts? What do people think of the IGWSHA/Staring at the Sun/Gone mixes?

Last edited:
All The album versions are better with the exception of Please, as I like both versions equally for what they are. Album Please I love for it's grittiness and its context on Pop, Single Please I like for it's standalone appeal. Which makes sense I guess as it is a Single.

Also I prefer the album version of LNOE, though the only version of the single I've heard is the video cut. And I don't know if that is the same. However the video sounds butchered, a real cut and paste job. The bridge is crap and the chorus is NOTHING compared to the power of the album.

Pop was perfection when it was made, with the exception ot The Playboy Mansion. Its a shame it is hardly recognised as such.

I think POP captures a certain time and frame of mind. The fact that it sound unfinished is what makes it shine for me. I've always referred to it as Techno-Punk, the sleekness of techno and dance music with the rawness and roughness of punk.

It's an amazing, under-appreciated album.

Discotheque [New Mix] better than the album, the song finally becomes the rocker it really is

If God Would Send His Angels [Single Version] don't care either way for this song but it climaxes better and I like the added lyrics at the end

Staring at the Sun [New Mix] album version is better, but the definite version is the live one IMO

Last Night on Earth [Single Version] don't care either way about this song

Gone [New Mix] again, an improvement from the album IMO as it gets new energy by more clear piano, and better vocals from Bono

Please [Single Version] I like both versions equally, maybe a slight edge for the solo ending in the single version

All of the album versions are superior. Some of the single versions have certain moments that would've been nice on the album but overall, Pop, for me, has always been a dirty, un-radio record, and I feel that all of the single versions and new mixes attempt to make the songs from that record too polished.

Discotheque > Discotheque(New Mix) because the new mix is entirely too polished, and the omission of the boom-chas is I think symbolic of the difference between all of the album versions vs their counterparts...certain character and uniquenesses are removed to make them more 'radio'.

If God Will Send His Angels > If God Will Send His Angels(Single Version) because the single cuts some lyrics and has a more chorus-friendly arrangement. The album version has a much stronger buildup imo. The lyrical outro of the single version would've been nice but the :drool:-inducing instrumental outro of the album version more than makes up for it. Great song.

Staring At The Sun > Staring At The Sun(New Mix) because the new mix sounds hollowed, and the electric guitar that made the original work so well is pushed to the background.

LNOE > LNOE(single) mainly because the chorus is better on the album version. The lyrics are different, plus I feel liked Edge and Bono's vocals work together better on the album chorus. Both bridges have something to offer but the album version bridge's lesser degree of accessibility attracts me.

Gone > Gone(New Mix) because the new mix destroys the vibe and the atmosphere of the song. One of the main reasons for the new mix was to add Edge's 'down's in the chorus but even that wasn't done very well. Edge's other backing vocals during the last verses that was prominent in the album version are pushed to the background on the new mix. A less unique guitar is placed in the chorus to replace the ever-so-unique siren that was used on the album version.

Please > Please(Single) because...and this was the most difficult, as usual...as has been said, the precussion is weaker and the stacato rhythm is much weaker in the single version. The strings could've been nice, but they're overdone. I feel like the string outro was trying to recreate the end of Please live, but there are certain live atmospheres and sounds that can't really be dupicated in a studio, especially where U2 is concerned. That's why people pay large amounts of money to see U2 live. And then there's the solo. I love that solo. But not enough to give up the stacato rhythm and overall vibe of the album version. Also, Edge has some really chilling backing vocals during the last parts of the song - oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh - that I literally ache to hear when I'm listening to the single version, to no avail. So, with hesitation, I choose the album version.

No "New Mix" can match both the album or single versions :drool: . "New Mixes" are easily the worst piece of shit they´ve ever put onto a record. Now, Comparing album and single versions, sometimes I prefer single ones, but sometimes I prefer album ones :heart: ;)

The only version that can be better than original POP 1997 master version, is a brand new remastered - but no remixed:censored:. George Harrison did a great job by remastering but no remixing his exhilarating timeless masterpiece "All Things Must Pass" :up: :laugh: - version of the original album:heart:

Peace :wave:

It's funny how we talk about this subject every other week or so...

Discotheque - Single version for me (NOT the Best Of)
Staring At The Sun - Album version
Last Night On Earth - Single version
If God Would Send His Angels - Single version
Gone - Best Of version
Please - my own version :wink: (officially, the single version)

I agree with everything namkcuR wrote, but want to add two additional points:

The New Mix of Discotheque - like the live version - also omits the bent guitar riff during the chorus. That's one of the coolest little riffs Edge ever came up with and I missed when it was played on tour.

And, the New Mix of Gone is missing that almost Asian five-note piano phrase in the background when Bono sings "good-bye / you can keep this suit of lights". Again, it's those little details that I love so much, and it hurts when U2 erase them because they think they're not good enough.

For myself I like the
new mix of Gone
If God Would Send His Angels - Single version
Last Night On Earth - Single version
Discotheque - Single version the one with the faster intro but then new mix

What's with the boom chas. I really didn't care for them. Ohhh those boom chas. They made the new for me. lolol

The one I didn't like was Please. It feels like it could have be made for a sound track the album version sounds much more stronger.

I like the new numb mix better too. I like how they brought out Bono vocie more, singing like the fat lady and the fake crowd noise enhances the sound.

Cheers
Steve

So, do they improve Pop? My answer- NO.

Yes

The Discotheque New Mix sounds like they got halfway done with it then quit. It's a nice start, with an appealing intro and the Edge's riff is cleansed of the dense production of the original, but at the end it finishes a little TOO underproduced. .... .... Discotheque! .... ..... Discotheque!

Underproduced, and underwhelming.

I'd say it's more ambient than underwhelming. Plus anything that gets rid of the boom-cha's is a good thing. Also, by shortening the song and giving it a little atmosphere, it highlights what's good about it where otherwise it gets lost in the shuffle.

IGWSHA, Staring at the Sun, and Gone fail to muster a sort of reaction either way. They're not my favorite songs to begin with, so absent some compelling reason I will stick with the album versions.

IGWSHA, both versions have their pluses and minuses. I love the falsetto on the single version, but I hate giving up the second verse to listen to it.

SATS (New Mix) has a much better beat.

The piano on Gone (New Mix) provides some depth and makes it sound less like a demo version. Plus the new mix also makes the introductory, and then recurring guitar riff sound less like a loop.

Last Night on Earth is clearly inferior in the Single version. The most immediate removal is that of the "false start" guitar at the very beginning. When people talk of Pop's appeal being that of a work-in-progress, that's part of it right there. For the Single, the opening was sanded down into a more bland concoction. The bridge is also completely reworked to match the live version, which is a mistake in my opinion because it had no need to be altered at all. The bridge is fine, if you're going to change something, why not the chorus?

Huh. Disagree again. Agreed, the false start's cool; but I'd trade it for the new bridge in a second.

Finally Please.

"'Cause you, my love, I could never believe."

8 words. In spite of the added solo, in the album version, they begin to be said at 4:48, and in the single, 4:49. On Pop, it takes 14 seconds from that point until the song resolves. On the single, it takes a minute as we wait....and wait....and wait for Bono to stop dragging out those 8 words. Then we wait even longer for the electronic twinkling to stop. It's a nifty conclusion live, but it belongs in a live performance. If I put this in Pop instead of the album version, I don't feel like waiting 40 seconds to get to Wake Up Dead Man.

Couldn't disagree more here. Those are a magical 8 seconds, mon frere. I love the strings as well, but that plea at the last eight seconds truly hammer home the emotional impact of the song.

Plus, I could wait 40 years for Wake Up Dead Man

Back
Top Bottom