Do Republicans listen to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HelloAngel said:

And about Katrina, sweetie, it's not just Democrats that question the Bush Administration's response to the hurricane aftermath. It's everyone. Even fellow Republicans.

Sorry about getting into a little political debate, but I couldn't resist. The following was written by a black Reverend regarding hurricane Katrina.

Say a hurricane is about to destroy the city you live in. Two questions:
What would you do?
What would you do if you were black?

Sadly, the two questions don't have the same answer.

To the first: Most of us would take our families out of that city quickly to protect them from danger. Then, able-bodied men would return to help others in need, as wives and others cared for children, elderly, infirm and the like.

For better or worse, Hurricane Katrina has told us the answer to the second question. If you're black and a hurricane is about to destroy your city, you'll probably wait for the government to save you.

One wonders how there was "no way" for these people to evacuate the city. We have photographic evidence telling us otherwise. You've probably seen it by now the photo showing 2,000 parked school buses, unused and underwater. How much planning does it require to put people on a bus and leave town, Mayor Nagin?

Instead of doing the obvious, Mayor Nagin (with no positive contribution from Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco, the other major leader vested with responsibility to address the hurricane disaster) loaded remaining New Orleans residents into the Superdome and the city's convention center. We know how that plan turned out.

President Bush is not to blame for the rampant immorality of blacks. Had New Orleans' black community taken action, most would have been out of harm's way. But most were too lazy, immoral and trifling to do anything productive for themselves.

By Rev Jesse Lee Peterson

Chewystick69 said:

Sorry about getting into a little political debate, but I couldn't resist. The following was written by a black Reverend regarding hurricane Katrina.

Still, what you quote has no relation to your statement about democrats blaming republicans for the problems in society. It's interesting that you don't address that.

And just because a black reverend says something, doesn't make him any more correct or right then any one else. I don't hold a person of religious ascension (like a reverend or a deacon) any more important than say any other person who comes in great contact with the general populace.

To answer the original post, I believe that more moderate republicans have no problem with U2 and probably are more likely to open their minds to musicians that they may oppose philosophically on some issues. I also believe people meeting this description describe the majority of republicans in the USA.

However, the extremist right-wingers in power in Washington (from Bush on down to many of the junior U.S. congressman)calling themselves "republicans" probably want nothing to do with U2. Those folks call themselves religious and moral then turn around and do everything in their power to take away from the poorest people in this country and the rest of the world. They say they care about the middle class and the working poor and then pass bill after bill that do nothing but give money to the richest people and biggest corporations in this country while further driving the middle class into the ground. I highly doubt that U2's anti-NRA and pro-Africa positions appeal to them. Basically these folks are some of the most hypocritical, mean-spirited, cold-hearted people you can ever meet.

HelloAngel said:

Still, what you quote has no relation to your statement about democrats blaming republicans for the problems in society. It's interesting that you don't address that.

Ok Miss Hello Angel.

My original reply did involve the Hurricane Katrina response. Which you said everybody questioned Pres Bush's response.
The fact is that the "first responders" are emergency personnell from the City (AKA New Orleans) at risk. Then the State (Aka Louisinana) sends in their troops.

So whose fault is it that the city was not EVACUATED? Definitely not the Presidents. How about the chocalate city mayor and democratic governor?

Yes the federal government was slow to respond to the emergency after the hurricane hit. But the main problem came from the City & State not evacuating on time.

Yet this is Bush's fault. A friend of mine even said that Bush was responsible for the strength of the hurricane because of global warming. lol. But he was serious. what a joke!

PLEASE. Dumocrats! Keep blaming the hard working white people for your problems. As one Dumocrat said in an earlier post, "Well we tried but there were too many dead republicans casting their ballots! Hopefully we'll get next year's election right."
But there is no election next year. Keep on voting Dumocrats. The Republicans are fed up with you.

lol... funny thread. As an outsider, I think Republicans (as an institution, not as a collective term for those that support/vote for them) are just unbelievable. Unfathomable that they pass with people at all. I have no idea how they do it. In response, I just can't imagine how truly stupid the Democrats are. What a mess.

I can also vouch that it is possible for Republicans to drink bucketloads, swear like sailors, listen to (mostly) good music, try and fail to get a shag, end up in a park drunk at 6am arguing with a group of Australians before throwing up in a garbage bin and heading back to their hotel to shower, change and head off to the next full day of a Conventions worth of brainwashing. Top work. Seriously.

Chewystick69, calling people Dumocrats is really going to get you far.

Chewystick69 said:

Ok Miss Hello Angel.

My original reply did involve the Hurricane Katrina response. Which you said everybody questioned Pres Bush's response.
The fact is that the "first responders" are emergency personnell from the City (AKA New Orleans) at risk. Then the State (Aka Louisinana) sends in their troops.

So whose fault is it that the city was not EVACUATED? Definitely not the Presidents. How about the chocalate city mayor and democratic governor?

Yes the federal government was slow to respond to the emergency after the hurricane hit. But the main problem came from the City & State not evacuating on time.

Yet this is Bush's fault. A friend of mine even said that Bush was responsible for the strength of the hurricane because of global warming. lol. But he was serious. what a joke!

PLEASE. Dumocrats! Keep blaming the hard working white people for your problems. As one Dumocrat said in an earlier post, "Well we tried but there were too many dead republicans casting their ballots! Hopefully we'll get next year's election right."
But there is no election next year. Keep on voting Dumocrats. The Republicans are fed up with you.

Maybe because you've never lived in a Hurricane state. Evacuations, even if they are mandatory are never completed. First of all, there's too much traffic to get everyone out safely. Secondly, the majority of the people who died in the city where the poor who had no mode of transportation to get out of the city in time. Thirdly, and perhaps the most important part, the government (regardless of local, state, federal) had checked the levees and deemed them to be unsatisfactory against hurricane conditions. All three modes of government (forget party politics here) should have taken the responsibility years ago to reinforce the levees.
I don't claim that it's Bush's fault that hurricanes are getting stronger, but it's definitely the fault of every person in this planet who is doing nothing to correct global warming.

Now that I've written to you like you actually gave a crap what a Dumocrat had to say, I can say this:

The fact that the government took so long to act while their own citizens were drowning in a city cespool is disgusting. Faster mobilization was made with the Tsunami last year. Maybe this brings thing to an important light. People aren't as willing to help Americans as Americans are willing to help people. I wonder who could have amplified the discontent for this country. Hmmm, must be those idiot Dumocrats. Those damn minority Dumocrats did it all!

Keep blaming the hard working white people for your problems.

Because apparently hard working Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, and Arabs mean absolutely shit to you.

I've never seen such a crap post in my life. Honestly. Can you be any more racist?

If I were to just look at Bono's quotes I'd say he was definitely a christian, but loking at his lifestyle I can't see how a life so full of pride could also be filled with God. Plus as far as I know he doesn't believe Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

shart1780 said:
If I were to just look at Bono's quotes I'd say he was definitely a christian, but loking at his lifestyle I can't see how a life so full of pride could also be filled with God. Plus as far as I know he doesn't believe Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

And this is a problem?

Why on earth would Jesus be the only way into heaven?

Chewystick69 said:

Ok Miss Hello Angel.

You are all over the place attempting to make your points, my dear. Perhaps you should go into Free Your Mind for a political discussion. What you're positing has nothing to do with Democrats.

No one needs you to regurgitate what happened with New Orleans, as you did above.

Your problem is blaming critique of the situation on Democrats alone. What I'm saying is that both parties, Dems and Republicans, are questioning what happened with Katrina. Do I blame the President for it? No. I'm not an idiot. I actually read and comprehend. The blame lies all over the place here, (and yes of course with city and local governments) and that's why I'm interested in the current investigation.

And by the way, alot of fellow "Dumocrats" take my line of diplomatic reasoning. But I guess when you shoot from the hip and not attempt to seek to understand, that's where flagrant misconceptions come in to play, and you start making blanket statements like you have done.

shart1780 said:

Plenty of people I know who are "filled with God" are the most sanctimonious, smug, judgemental and egotistical people I've ever met.

Chewystick69 said:

Ok Miss Hello Angel.

HelloAngel needs no help defending her views, but I want to state that I agree with her.

Yes, the mayor, governor and the people themselves were to blame for the poor action PRIOR to the storm.

However, once the storm hit, this is where FEMA and the federal government came into play. This is where they did a horrendous job and this is what is being questioned. HelloAngel is perfectly right - read the news - even Republicans are questioning what the heck went on there. Perhaps you aren't one of those questioning Republicans, but you are actually becoming the minority.

As for the strength of the storm - O.K., Bush isn't directly responsible. However, his regime has all but avoided any talk of global warming. Often reports by NASA and other groups were "silenced". That's finally ending - the data is just too strong to ignore. Yet, the Bush White Office still pursues oil at all costs. So, in a very indirect way, Bush is responsible for the strength of the storm. By refusing to acknowledge global warming and continuing to promote oil, the Bush regime is essentially helping the earth become even more warm. This in turn leads to more storms and stronger storms. Expect a lot more Katrinas....

well, this thread was kinda civil for a while. what whether or not bono is saved has to do with this thread, i don't know. or insulting an entire political party.

the answer was pretty much posted on the first page when people on the forums said "i'm a republican and i like U2" so since now we've just got people arguing about how bush reacted after katrina - which has got nothing to do with this thread or this forum - this thread is better off closed i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom