DMB fans are spoiled!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Acrobat
Just a little anecdote from a hot, sunny afternoon on the LIRR heading into NYC....

as word came down on Monday, April 15th that the Dave Matthews Band had canceled the first of two sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden b/c of voice problems for Dave Matthew, many faithful DMB fans began to complain and voice their frustration over the unfortunate circumstances. Overhearing this whining, I couldn't help jump in and mention to a girl next to me who was busily telling others about the cancellation:

I said, "you guys are spoiled(DMB fans). I have to wait 4 years to see my favorite bands tour."

The avid DMB fan than said to me, "who are you referring to?" and I replied, "U2 and Pearl Jam."

To that she just smiled.

BTW: the hoarsed-voiced Dave Matthew has rescheduled his shows at MSG for May 28th and 29th respectively...

I hadn't heard that. I'm seeing them in 3 weeks...hope he's all better by then. I've never seen them live before. I absolutely love about half the songs--the ballads mostly (he writes *gorgeous* ballads that sound like nobody elses's)--and the other half, the R&R songs, eh. But I have to see them because their live show is what they're all about.

His voice so whiney and hard to listen to anyway I can't image a little sore throat would make much difference
wink.gif

I'll take Bono's voice at 50% over Dave's at 100% any time.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

~**The LONE She-Wolf of PLEBA!**~

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
His voice so whiney and hard to listen to anyway I can't image a little sore throat would make much difference
wink.gif

I'll take Bono's voice at 50% over Dave's at 100% any time.

Yay, Stormy, we agree on something else! I hate DMB with a passion. Dave sounds like Kermit the frog on acid.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by wertsie:
Dave sounds like Kermit the frog on acid.

lmao. I'm gonna have to agree with that. Although I do respect his musicianship. I just can't STAND his voice. Couldn't pay me to go to a show.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
lmao. I'm gonna have to agree with that. Although I do respect his musicianship. I just can't STAND his voice. Couldn't pay me to go to a show.
tongue.gif

Yeah, at least the band is doing something original, music-wise. I respect their playing ability and all that. I just can't stand them. "The Space Between" or whatever it's called is a beautiful song until Dave starts squawking away! All these people my age are die hard fans. Makes me ill!

------------------

You didn't like his performance of "Everyday" on the 9/11 tribute show? I used to not like his voice but now I really love it...but again, mostly the ballads. There are a lot of songs on each record I don't like, but the songs I like I *love*. When it's just Dave and his guitar, I find him very moving.

If you want to hear about how spoiled DMB fans are, look at the way they complain about the setlists.
Take for example these two lists on back to back dates on this tour:

list one:
Too Much
Grey Street
If I Had It All
I Did It
You Never Know
Crush
Drive In Drive Out
One Sweet World (Instrumental Intro)
Lover Lay Down
So Much To Say
Grace Is Gone
Dont Burn The Pig
The Space Between
Big Eyed Fish
Bartender
Two Step

Encore:

Where Are You Going
Ants Marching
----------------------------------
list two:
When The World Ends
What Would You Say
Grey Street
Seek Up
I Did It
You Never Know
Warehouse
The Space Between
Rhyme & Reason
Lie In Our Graves
Sleep To Dream Her
Grace Is Gone
So Much To Say
Too Much
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel

encore:
Where Are You Going
Two Step

I would personally say these are pretty different, and yet they keep complaining
about lack of diversity. If U2 switched out eight songs from one night to the next
I'd freaking die happy. It just shows you as an artist can't please everyone.

[This message has been edited by tkramer (edited 04-17-2002).]

Fans always complain about setlists. Always. I've never seen this not happen, especially with bands like DMB and U2 where fans travel all over the place to see them.

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Fans always complain about setlists. Always. I've never seen this not happen, especially with bands like DMB and U2 where fans travel all over the place to see them.

That's so true, joyfulgirl. I'm not saying I don't complain occasionally, but I usually am just ecstatic to see U2 perform anything.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I have to say I have seen Dave twice in concert and have most of his albums and I actually like him. That being said-- yes, U2 needs to tour more and-- yes, there are fans of every band that complain. I can drag out all those ticket price threads if need be.

I liked DMB until the last album. The whole thing with them scrapping the Lillywhite sessions for something more "radio friendly" really bothered me.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

DMB are great people and a great band, even if it's not your taste. They work hard. Dave's lyrics are beautiful and deep and the music is passionate. I actually didn't like them until I started listening to stuff that isn't played on the radio. I'm not a big fan of their hits, but there are some absolutely stunning songs on the record..."Lover Lay Down," for one. It's chills-up-the-spine beautiful. How can anyone hear that song and call them a crap band or say that they 'suck real bad'. The musicianship is amazing. Their fans love them with the same passion and fervor that U2 fans feel. It's one thing to say you don't like a band's music or that you don't like Dave's voice--that's fine, I certainly feel that way about a lot of popular artists--but why does it always have to get ugly? Some of these comments are just plain juvenile.

Lover Lay Down

Spring sweet rhythm dance in my head
Slip into my lover's hands
Kiss me oh won't you kiss me now
And sleep I would inside your mouth

Don't be us too shy
Knowing it's no big surprise
That I will wait for you
I will wait for no one but you

Look please lover lay down
Spend this time with me
Together share this smile
Lover lay down

Walk with me, walk with you
Hold my hand your hands
So much we have dreamed
And you were so much younger
Hard to explain that we are stronger

A million reasons life to deny
Let's toss them away
See you and me we
Lay down look see
She and he
By my lover's side
Each other's tears to cry
Lover lay down

Oh please
Look please lover lay down
Oh please lover lay down
And you weep
Lover lay down
Cause it's over
Lover lay down
Say lover, say lover, say lover, say lover, say lover
Could I love you
Could you love me
Could I love you
Could you love me
Could I love you
Could you love me
Could I love you
Could you love me
Darling it's
All the same
All the same
All the same
All the same
'Til we dance away
'Til we dance away
'Til we dance away
'Til we dance away
Chasing me all around
Leading me all around
Leading me all around in circles
Leading me all around in circles
Say...

Originally posted by gherman:
FUCK YOU!!! I hate it when people say a band is crap just because you don't like them. That is just plain ignorance. They are an exelent band and I can respect someone not likeing them, its your opinion, but how does it make you feel when someone says U2 is shit because they don't like thier music!

woahhhh... chill, man. No need for the language. Please note that some of us qualified our remarks with a "this is my personal opinion" sort of notice. We are allowed that, are we not?

and that's why threads not about U2 shouldn't be posted in this forum but in Lemonade Stand where only people react who are interested in that particular band

but does anyone ever listen to me
noooooooo

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I hate these types of threads. I hate it when people bash bands because they don't like them. People get pissed off and defensive when someone says something bad about U2 so then they go right around do it to someone else. Hipocrits

I've seen them live a handful times in the last 6 or 7 years, and I've always been very impressed. I'm not a huge fan, I think I only have a couple of their disks, but I think they've put out some excellent music. I totally understand about Dave's voice. My wife can't bear to listen to it. I kind of enjoy its annoying nasally-kermit uniqueness. But there is one thing that has stuck out to me almost every time I've been to one of their shows. I've been in awe of the way they play together as a band. It's rather unique instrumentation for a rock band (with the violin and sax), and everyone is playing something beyond the obvious. I don't know if that makes sense, but what I mean is that each individual is playing something really interesting and it all blends into music that is very approachable. I've grown a little tired of their music, but I still think they've done some fantastic stuff. I'm still blown away by some of it.

Now after I had gone to all those DMB concerts, I finally saw U2 last year and, well...I don't know if I would enjoy a Dave Matthews concert as much now. For me, nothing measures up to being elevated.
smile.gif

gherman, if you hate these threads so much why did you bother reading it or even responding to it? Resorting to vulgarities makes a person look alot less intelligent and you are not going to sway someone or help them understand your opinions by doing so.

Personally (and this my opinion here, to clarify and avoid vulgarities directed at me). I dont care for DMB. I agree though with some previous posters who say they can respect the bands musicianship and they at least write their own songs which I can appreciate. But then again Hanson meets that criteria!? (LOL).

Dave doesnt have much of a voice but that has never been a requirement in rock and roll (ie Bob Dylan)

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 04-17-2002).]

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
I've seen them live a handful times in the last 6 or 7 years, and I've always been very impressed.

Now that I see the posts that came up while I was writing, maybe I should point out that I was referring here to the Dave Matthews Band, not to people who bash bands because they don't like them or people who get pissed off or defensive when someone says something bad about U2.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 04-17-2002).]

...people who bash bands because they don't like them or people who get pissed off or defensive when someone says something bad about U2.

I have seen some of those people, as well, a handful of times over the past 6 or 7 years, but I guess the difference is I haven't been particularly impressed.

Have I made myself perfectly clear?

------------------
Real Saturday Morning Conversation
(a play in one act.)

Spiral: (to wife) What are you watching?

Spiral's Wife: Digimon.

THE END

I've seen them live a handful times in the last 6 or 7 years, and I've always been very impressed. I'm not a huge fan, I think I only have a couple of their disks, but I think they've put out some excellent music. I totally understand about Dave's voice. My wife can't bear to listen to it. I kind of enjoy its annoying nasally-kermit uniqueness. But there is one thing that has stuck out to me almost every time I've been to one of their shows. I've been in awe of the way they play together as a band. It's rather unique instrumentation for a rock band (with the violin and sax), and everyone is playing something beyond the obvious. I don't know if that makes sense, but what I mean is that each individual is playing something really interesting and it all blends into music that is very approachable. I've grown a little tired of their music, but I still think they've done some fantastic stuff. I'm still blown away by some of it.

Now after I had gone to all those DMB concerts, I finally saw U2 last year and, well...I don't know if I would enjoy a Dave Matthews concert as much now. For me, nothing measures up to being elevated.
smile.gif

Nice critique. I think I agree with every word, except that I haven't seen them yet (not for 3 more weeks). I am not expecting to be blown away like I am at a U2 show (not anywhere near that, in fact) but I'm looking forward to sitting under the stars in a very tiny outdoor ampitheatre and hearing them.

Last weekend I was driving home from a 6 hour roadtrip and I was listening to Dave, wanting to become more familiar with the music before seeing them, and I was blown away by each of the musicians, just exactly as you say. I was singling out each instrument and following it, then I'd play the same song again and single out a different instrument, and even though people describe them as mainstream (and I suppose the hits are) I couldn't really think of any other band that sounds like them--except on some songs, the songs I like the least actually, they remind me a little bit of Little Feat (remember them?). I'm not a big fan of jam bands in general, though I do appreciate that kind of musicianship.

Anyway, I have a growing appreciation of what they do, but I think I will probably always be more of a casual fan, but sometimes enthusiastically so.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
But then again Hanson meets that criteria!? (LOL).

Dave doesnt have much of a voice but that has never been a requirement in rock and roll (ie Bob Dylan)

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 04-17-2002).]

rotflmao...

Oh, and just to clarify, the stuff I said (i.e. Dave sounds like Kermit on acid) is my personal opinion. You would THINK people would realize stuff like this. I don't think you should have to SAY "this is my opinion" every time you state your opinion.

------------------

I kind of enjoy its annoying nasally-kermit uniqueness.

I just needed to single out this hilarious line. The kermity-smilie signals my approval--lol.

I find I am still not quite done. I just want to add that I was always annoyed when DMB came on the radio. I kept saying, I don't get DMB, why does everyone love them? I just don't get it. Then I saw him solo on TV with just his guitar a long time ago, and it was like the proverbial lightbulb went off, er, lit up. It's the passion that comes through in the visual that started turning it around for me. The voice was less annoying if I was looking at him. Now I love it.

Geez, I didn't know I had so many opinions about Dave.

I just needed to single out this hilarious line. The kermity-smilie signals my approval--lol.

Dude, I didn't even see that the first time I scrolled through. Thanks for singling it out!

It's not easy being green...

You know, I used to have this HUGE crush on Kermit when I was little...lmao

------------------

I find I am still not quite done. I just want to add that I was always annoyed when DMB came on the radio. I kept saying, I don't get DMB, why does everyone love them? I just don't get it. Then I saw him solo on TV with just his guitar a long time ago, and it was like the proverbial lightbulb went off, er, lit up. It's the passion that comes through in the visual that started turning it around for me. The voice was less annoying if I was looking at him. Now I love it.

Geez, I didn't know I had so many opinions about Dave.

It must be an acquired taste thing then. I don't think their music is a taste I'll ever acquire, but I find that that's an interesting way to look at it.

I guess sometimes you never know how many opinions you have on a subject until someone brings it up!

------------------

Originally posted by wertsie:
It must be an acquired taste thing then. I don't think their music is a taste I'll ever acquire, but I find that that's an interesting way to look at it.

I guess sometimes you never know how many opinions you have on a subject until someone brings it up!

Just watch him next time you see him on TV in a live performance--or if you have the Tribute video (w/U2). He has a nice face, for one thing, and there is sincerity and kindness (or I project that onto him, lol...), intensity and passion...and it's like, how can I not like this guy?

*forming more DMB opinions by the moment*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom