Discotheque - what tour has had the best live version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mauwer

War Child
Friends ,

What tour has had the best live version of Discotheque????

Popmart , Elevation or Vertigo

I think Popmart!
( coz of the amazing way the band appeared from the lemon and the boom-cha`s and the added snippets )

Runner-up though is the Vertigo version.
( only played two times (right ?) but what a rocking version , shame Edge didn`t like it )

I never liked the Elevation version though , never got off somehow?

Now what is your fav version????

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. It would`ve been cool if the band had played Discotheque on more 2nd nights of the Vertigo tour!
Inmagine : 1st night Zoo Station:drool: , 2nd night Discotheque :drool: :drool:

Never heard a elevation Discotheque so can't tell about that one.

Popmart had it charms but i think the Vertigo version rocks out everything.

Chizip said:
Vertigo by far

oh man it rocked

Never heard a vertigo version. Could anyone point me in the direction of a recording? much appreciated.

We need to get that Toronto IV version with the Relax snippet. I´m starting to get desperate.

ANYBODY????!!!!

1. Vertigo
2. Popmart
3. Elevation

My favorite part was Larry's changed drumming. Similar to the good changes on The Fly, especially the drumming during "You're gonna be the one..."

While Discoteque is one of my favorite U2 songs, I've always felt the live performances left a lot to be desired.

I like the Vertigo version of the song, but can't love it. This version is too muddled in its pacing and never really achieves the 'force' that the song deserves.

My thought is that the band would have liked to play it with the same dynamics that they played Elevation on this tour, but didn't because it seem a little to staged (both songs being drawn out), but Disco suffers from this decision. While Vertigo version Elevation takes off because of the slow build up, disco suffers because of it.

I like the idea, but I think it would have worked much better if the band would have alternated it with Elevation and played both songs with the same dynamics.

Dalton said:
While Discoteque is one of my favorite U2 songs, I've always felt the live performances left a lot to be desired.

I like the Vertigo version of the song, but can't love it. This version is too muddled in its pacing and never really achieves the 'force' that the song deserves.

My thought is that the band would have liked to play it with the same dynamics that they played Elevation on this tour, but didn't because it seem a little to staged (both songs being drawn out), but Disco suffers from this decision. While Vertigo version Elevation takes off because of the slow build up, disco suffers because of it.

I like the idea, but I think it would have worked much better if the band would have alternated it with Elevation and played both songs with the same dynamics.
:up:

I think that also answers the question why it wasn't played more regularly

All of you who really think the vertigo version is better than the popmart version are insane.

I did love it at first, but its flaws become apparent with repeated listenings. The bass during the verses is still cool and really captures the dance club atmosphere. However, the vertigo version shows just how Larry's creativity when it comes to drumming has really taken a dive. And don't flame me for this, but Bono's voice doesn't really suit the Pop songs these days. Say what you want about his voice during Popmart, but it had a very unique syle that perfectly suited the Pop material, and Discotheque is no exception. I can definitely see why Edge didn't want to keep playing that version--although I would have loved to see it at the show to which I went. That said, Discotheque's outro on the Popmart tour is the kind of thing from which legends are made.:drool:

Aygo said:
Hopefully it'll be a stapple on the next tour... if the band has the decency...
yeah, because the song is such a U2 classic ........
classic U2 live song? ...........

actually, even though I think it's a great song I don't lose any sleep not hearing it ever again in concert

Hmm. It's close between Vertigo and Popmart. Vertigo had an amazing reinvention and sounded thoroughly spectacular, but I'll have to give the nod to Popmart. The way Edge's guitar wailed and chainsawed at the end was very impressive.

The Elevation version was nothing to write home about. I feel it got a bit dull and boring, especially with the waffling, drawn out SATS outro. It really can't compare to the Popmart and Vertigo versions. While I may not think much of the studio version, this really has been one of U2's best live songs. :drool:

Salome said:
yeah, because the song is such a U2 classic ........
classic U2 live song? ...........

actually, even though I think it's a great song I don't lose any sleep not hearing it ever again in concert

Did you ever think to hear Zoo Station again before Zoo TV started? Discotheque is more popular, thankfully there is still many people who like it and it always work great in a show too because of stage effects that deal with the song.

If they didn't play it more times it's because they're stupid and they didn't want too. The song would've worked as well as Zoo Station or many other songs.

Vertigo's version was great, especially Larry's more pronounced drumming, but I still have to say PopMart.

Edge's riff/extended solo is in full display at the end while Bono shouts through many random '70s song snippets, it's hard to top that.

Back
Top Bottom