Discotheque Vs. Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matthew_Page2000 said:
And it wasn't a show stopper live. It was a "go get a beer and popcorn" song unfortunately. Disco was a studio recording and U2 could never make it work that well live.
what?!?!?! you are insane! during the first leg of popmart, maybe. but man...the mexico city version is brilliant! :)

The great thing about Discotheque is that it's such a unique entry in their catalog. It's total dance (esp. the David Morales mix) and sounds like nothing else. Whereas Vertigo, though it's catchy as hell, sounds kinda like the same formula used on Elevation. I prefer Vertigo to Elevation though. Also, Vertigo is so damn loud just like the rest of the album. I have said this before but turning up the fucking volume does not equal rocking!!!

I like Discotheque just fine, but my vote goes to Vertigo. It's a really fun, jubilant song.

I still think Beautiful Day is their best album opener in years, though.

I don't know, even with the flashy video and added beats I felt that Discotheque was, deep down, a rock song trying to be dance.

I personally never heard Vertigo as being "Elevation part II" as some said. Rather it reminds me of U2's earliest two albums.

I love Discotheque... And the live version was wonderful :D ... (and the guitar riffs :drool:). It was written in a time when they didn't give a f***

Hm... almost five years on this board - and so few posts... :scratch:

Last edited:
What a dilema! I'm a huge fan of both songs. I think it's great when U2 has fun and kicks out the jams. They don't have to blow my mind with heavy duty lyrics and themes on every song.

Well, the band coming out of the ridiculous disco lemon during Popmart was an absolute riot, also you have the goofy lyrics and the cheesetastic chorus...yeah I'll have to go with Discotheque.

MrBrau1 said:
Vertigo.

Discotheque is a good song, until the ultimate in cheese: "Boom Cha." One of U2's lowest moments. One of rock's lowest moments.

Pop hater, eh?

I prefer Discotheque, and I always will.

People actually like Discotheque live? Really?
Gone rocked live. Please rocked live. LNOE rocked live.
Velvet Dress was much better live than on the album.
The acoustic SATS was brilliant.
I though Discotheque was the low point of PopMart.
Even the huge production surrounding it (rolling mirrorball lemons, spotlights, explosions, smoke bombs and Led Zep lyrics) couldn't save Discotheque. Whereas the album version is rocking AND limber the live version sounded hollow AND cumbersome.

To each his or her own I guess. That's what's great about U2--they have so many songs that we fans will never agree on all of them.

Discotheque absolutely rocked on Popmart. I can barely listen to the studio version now because the live one was so good, especially at the end with snippets like Whole Lotta Love. Absolutely awesome.

But I think I prefer Vertigo, only just. It's more directly rocking. Hmm ... tough choice. Ask me in an hour and I'll probably take Discotheque.

I love both songs. I think Discotheque has an amazing guitar riff. I like the 1990-2000 mix of it better, though. But I love the verses to Vertigo, too. They're both little bits of wonder U2 has graced us with.

xana dew said:
What a dilema! I'm a huge fan of both songs. I think it's great when U2 has fun and kicks out the jams. They don't have to blow my mind with heavy duty lyrics and themes on every song.

Well, the band coming out of the ridiculous disco lemon during Popmart was an absolute riot, also you have the goofy lyrics and the cheesetastic chorus...yeah I'll have to go with Discotheque.

Have to agree and pick Discotheque. And I'm glad sombody else liked that big ass lemon. I think Discotheque has more "rhythm", if that makes any sense, and lends itself better to dancing as opposed to just rocking to the beat. It also appeals a little bit more to me than Vertigo because it was so different, fun and crazy for U2 to do a song like that. Would love to hear it live again (along with Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car). So when I want to rock :rockon:, I listen to Vertigo. But when it's time to get my groove on :dance:, it's Discotheque.

punkreas said:
:drool: c'mon...discotheque is nothing exepct a mistake!!!don'you really know U2...

Well, been a fan for over 20 years so I hope so. I saw the whole Pop thing as a lovely mess. Sure there was confusion and some missteps(or miscalculations if you like), but there were also cool moments. Obviously Discotheque wasn't the future sound of U2, but I see no harm in them trying to mix it up a bit. If you don't try new things, new ideas you become boring, your own cliche. Call it a mistake if you like, but we should all be so lucky to have mistakes like that. :wink: They did it, you survived it, I enjoyed it. Nuff said.

The lyric from Discotheque "you know your chewin' bubblegum, you know what that is but you still want some" really appeals to me. I love a great pop song. Not so much the stuff that comes out today, more specifically the great pop songs of the 70s and 80s. Not that I'd want a steady diet of that stuff, but a great pop tune can really be a hell of a lot of fun. And that's the feeling I get when I listen to Discotheque.

Discotheque is amazing!

U2's 4th greatest ever song and what an album opener!

Vertigo is really good too, but shouldn't have opened the BomB in my opinion.

hmm..im not sure. Both songs are great...the boomchas as cheesy as they are so seriously awesome...Vertigo doesnt have the completely awesome guitar riff, but idk...i think vertigo is better...

Back
Top Bottom