Discotheque Sample

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
The credits for Discotheque say that it contains a sample from "Fane" performed by Freeform and written by Simon Pike.

Anyone know which bit this is??

I've actually wondered the same thing.

Could someone please say which parts of the songs in "Pop" contain samples?

I have an idea on some of them, but I would like it to be doublechecked.

Thanks.

LDM007 said:
Could someone please say which parts of the songs in "Pop" contain samples?

If you look in the booklet of Pop you can see exactly which songs use samples.
I don't know exactly what you can hear of each sample. The only two I know are You Showed Me in The Playboy Mansion (sample by The Byrds (I think) and it's the slide guitar lick) and Besrodna Nevesta in Wake Up Dead Man (sample by Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares and it's the strange voices going in and out of the mix).

:)

Popmartijn said:

If you look in the booklet of Pop you can see exactly which songs use samples.
I don't know exactly what you can hear of each sample. The only two I know are You Showed Me in The Playboy Mansion (sample by The Byrds (I think) and it's the slide guitar lick) and Besrodna Nevesta in Wake Up Dead Man (sample by Le Mystère Des Voix Bulgares and it's the strange voices going in and out of the mix).

:)
You Showed Me was originally by The Turtles but the slide guitar is form Lightning Seeds cover of it. The song Fane is just a drum loop with some ambient sounds on it, but the drum loop does sound like the one in Discotheque. Last Night on Earth also uses samples but I can't hear any of it.

Nisse said:

You Showed Me was originally by The Turtles but the slide guitar is form Lightning Seeds cover of it.

Is it? I thought that cover by the Lightning Seeds came out after Pop...
:scratch:

Nope. 1st there's no slide guitar in the Turtles version, and the Lighning Seeds album came out 1996

IIRC the Rolling Stone Pop review or NME says one of Larry's drum riffs in Miami is from Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks.

I've been interested in Fane too-there are some randomly quick but funky drum noises on Discotheque if you listen on a stereo or in your car, maybe that's it.

Back
Top Bottom