disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvandPeace1980

War Child
I don't know about anyone else but U2 not playing Live Earth has quite dissapointed me.

I thought U2 would have jumped at the ability to support this crisis.

I know it's not Bono's main concern but it's kind of a huge issue and I would say a larger issue than even the Poverty crisis.

Is it just me?

LuvandPeace1980 said:

it's kind of a huge issue and I would say a larger issue than even the Poverty crisis.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I believe Africa is more important- but that's just my opinion...

I don't think the band would want to be linked to yet another cause. If Bono were to suddenly jump on the climate change band-wagon too he would be shot down by the media more than what he already has copped over Africa. I think people would doubt his commitment to Africa and say he's just wanting the spotlight if he'd performed at Live Earth...

Generally I'm content by the amount of work all the guys do for a wide variety of social causes and am not disappointed they missed Live Earth- they do more than their fair share already...

Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Acrobat Angel said:

I'd have to disagree with you there, I believe Africa is more important- but that's just my opinion...

i really never said 'important', i said larger. as in it's going to be a bigger and more complicated problem to resolve

When have U2 made these types of decisions based on what the media have thought?

I think U2 performing at Live Earth showing some support is not going to make people think that at all.

Yes if Bono becomes head of the makeglobalwarminghistory party yes, but performing at a concert doesn't mean that.

Acrobat Angel said:

Totally agree... their means doesn't help their cause...

we are going to be using energy and jets and power for the mean time.

it doesn't take away from the argument that these concerts are trying to bring awareness.

it's such a silly argument.. 'The concerts cause emissions so boycott the purpose'

Last edited:
I wasn't surpised and I didn't care about the whole Live Earth thing anyways (I didn't realize that Gore created a Live Aid type thing until it was too late anyways).

*Sorry if that sounded like I don't care about Mother Nature.....I do....but it's not one of my strong suits...if you can call it that*

Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

LuvandPeace1980 said:

i really never said 'important', i said larger. as in it's going to be a bigger and more complicated problem to resolve

When have U2 made these types of decisions based on what the media have thought?

I think U2 performing at Live Earth showing some support is not going to make people think that at all.

Yes if Bono becomes head of the makeglobalwarminghistory party yes, but performing at a concert doesn't mean that.

I think people should just come to terms that the damage has been done and it can't be reversed. The way the world is there is no way we are going to change our activities to an extent where major, positive changes will be made. The whole carbon off-set theory is a load of bull too- dollar notes will not fill the hole in the ozone layer! I personally believe the fact that people are dying from preventable circumstances is a major downfall of our society and is what we should concentrate on. 'Climate change' is just the new political buzz word to win elections.

As i said previously the band do more than their fair share and i hold nothing against them for not participating, not that i expected them to anyway. Bono just appearing at a concert would lead people to automatically label him the head of makeglobalwarminghistory- just because he is who he is.

martha said:
Or maybe it was just a lame idea. A world-wide resource-guzzling concert to show us how we should conserve resources? :down:
The lights went off in Crowded House's set... probably accidentally, but every little bit helps :wink:

People living on low-lying islands who are in immediate danger of losing their homes and livelihoods would probably disagree that climate change is just a buzz-word. :shrug:

Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Acrobat Angel said:

I think people should just come to terms that the damage has been done and it can't be reversed. The way the world is there is no way we are going to change our activities to an extent where major, positive changes will be made. The whole carbon off-set theory is a load of bull too- dollar notes will not fill the hole in the ozone layer! I personally believe the fact that people are dying from preventable circumstances is a major downfall of our society and is what we should concentrate on. 'Climate change' is just the new political buzz word to win elections.

coming to terms with the damage that has been done? thats what this is about. doesn't mean you just let the world drizzle down the drain.

by the way the ozone layer has nothing to do with green house emissions and global warming!

I think you should atleast read and know some things before you start criticising it.

your argument is ridiculous at best because if our green house emissions continue to rise and the temperature continues to rise and our oceans keep getting warmer and therefore greenland or the antartic peninsula goes then we will slip into an ice age for another 1000 years.

How are we going to help anyone at all including the africans if there aint a world to inhabit?

And yes we can change things to make it better.
People with defeatst attitudes and people who keep voting in blood sucking money grubbing politicians are the real reason why change seems so dreadful.

it really is just bad habits that need changing.

Last edited:
Alisaura said:

The lights went off in Crowded House's set... probably accidentally, but every little bit helps :wink:

People living on low-lying islands who are in immediate danger of losing their homes and livelihoods would probably disagree that climate change is just a buzz-word. :shrug:

The world heats and the world cools.

The ice age didn't end because of greenhouse emissions.

The world will end eventually anyways. The earth has gone through cycles like this without humans before. The preventative ads were bullshit, and the whole deal was just another feel-good moment. Not much else.

U2 wearnt there which was too bad but thats the way it goes. Having said that I think the coverage was a lot more organized and better then it was at Live 8.....I know U2 were asked to do this gig but they turned it down a long time ago, maybe they arent big fans of Al Gore who knows, or maybe they just didnt really believe in the cause, although I doubt that because they have had GreenPeace on their album labels forever.

Probably just a scheduling issue, but still would have been nice to see them there.

coolian2 said:

The world heats and the world cools.

The ice age didn't end because of greenhouse emissions.

QFT

Just the same, any effort to improve the environment is fine by me. :up:

Everyone's an armchair climate change skeptic now, aren't they? :yawn:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

LuvandPeace1980 said:

coming to terms with the damage that has been done? thats what this is about. doesn't mean you just let the world drizzle down the drain.

by the way the ozone layer has nothing to do with green house emissions and global warming!

I think you should atleast read and know some things before you start criticising it.

you argument is ridiculous at best because if our green house emissions continue to rise and the temperature continues to rise and our oceans keep getting warmer and therefore greenland or the antartic peninsula goes then we will slip into an ice age for another 1000 years.

How are we going to help anyone at all including the africans if there aint a world to inhabit?

And yes we can change things to make it better.
People with defeatst attitudes and people who keep voting in blood sucking money grubbing politicians are the real reason why change seems so dreadful.

it really is just bad habits that need changing.

I am not going to let the world drizzle down the drain as you put it. I like most people recognise globe warming and have altered their lives to make a difference; public transport, light bulbs etc. But i know that individual efforts such as these won't save the world when corporates and industry cancel out any 'improvement' my actions provides.

I will admit i am not an expert in the field of global warming nor was i ever posing as one.

You say that what if there is no world for the Africans to inhabit because of an ice age? I ask that if the world is saved from global warming, it would be a disgrace if thousands of Africans have died in the meantime and aren't there to enjoy it.

As for the politcal side, i notice you too are an Australian, so you would have noticed the sudden point scoring politicans are getting by claiming they can change the climate when they really have no interest in saving isolated communites on small islands. Climate change is a buzz word, and will pass in the next year or two, just like all the important causes that have come and gone.

Just because my view is different to yours doesn't make it wrong. Obviously we won't agree on this, and in a way thats a good thing because the individual causes are important to each of use, and so they should be. In an ideal world there would be no poverty, climate change etc etc, but there is and one person cannot address every single problem in the world so it is best for people such as you and i to address what we deem to be important.

I will once again say i have no problem with u2's non-appearance at the concert as this is the topic of the thread.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Acrobat Angel said:

As for the politcal side, i notice you too are an Australian, so you would have noticed the sudden point scoring politicans are getting by claiming they can change the climate when they really have no interest in saving isolated communites on small islands. Climate change is a buzz word, and will pass in the next year or two, just like all the important causes that have come and gone.

I was simply pointing out that placing the importance of poverty over that of climate change to be silly, I also pointed out for your own benefit that Climate Change has nothing to do with the hole in the Ozone Layer.

And according to the top scientists climate change can be reversed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitigation_of_global_warming#Overview

If you knew the topic you would know this, hence my frustration :mad: The world has a way of naturally refreshing the eco system. Hence why we are still not in an ice age.

And this crap about buzz word, geez yes it is a buzz word it is and yes politicians are using it to their advantage. But there are good politicians too who want to make a difference. It's the ones who aren't even acknowledgin it that are the real problem.

And yeah I still think it sucks U2 haven't really done the same on this occasion. If there was a really decent reason why they didn't attend I would love to hear it.

Yes I am in Australia, I notice your in Newcastle, did you notice those storms the other week? Worst in 40 years apparently
:wink:

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Who said this was the case?

Not me, just someone mentioned in a post in this topic U2 wouldn't want to be labeled as the Global Warming band etc..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Not me, just someone mentioned in a post in this topic U2 wouldn't want to be labeled as the Global Warming band etc..

No, i just said that if u2 had attended the media would make something out of it and say Bono was another crusade- not that they don't want to be linked to global warming...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

LuvandPeace1980 said:

I was simply pointing out that placing the importance of poverty over that of climate change to be silly.

And of course climate change can be reversed. If you knew the topic you would know this, hence my frustration :mad: The world has a way of naturally refreshing the eco system. Hence why we are still not in an ice age.

And this crap about buzz word, geez yes it is a buzz word it is and yes politicians are using it to there advantage. But there are good politicians too who want to make a difference. It's the ones who aren't even acknowledgin it that are the real problem.

And yeah I still think it sucks U2 haven't really done the same on this occasion. If there was a really decent reason why they didn't attend I would love to hear it.

On a final note I don't think u2 has to answer to nobody for their non-appearance, they are at a point where they can do what they want. Also there were many artists who also didn't attend. I think we should agree to disagree. We obviously want the best for our causes so can we leave it at that?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Acrobat Angel said:

No, i just said that if u2 had attended the media would make something out of it and say Bono was another crusade- not that they don't want to be linked to global warming...

yeah sorry I didn't explain very well

I know what you meant I was simply saying that I feel U2 would not stay away from Live Earth simply because of that.. They aren't one to steer clear of something for that reason or so the past illustrates

No, U2 and Bono in particular were wise to keep away from this event. I was rather disappointed about the whole show, Live 8, to me, was so much better, had the better concept and the classier acts. U2 don't have to be part of everything and anything. On several occassions Bono has spoken out about the climate crises and how he thinks it affects Africa, so there's no doubt that he believes in climate change. Watching the concert highlights yesterday, I was beginning to miss the band first, but in the end I was rather glad they didn't appear.

coolian2 said:

Excuse me, i need to go and turn more appliances on.

:|

Congratulations, you win the Idiotic Statement Of The Year award.

While it is quite true that the earth has historically gone through periods of heating and cooling, it is not helping when the human race speeds up the process. Do you HONESTLY believe that man-made pollution hasn't affected anything? That the climate would be changing at the same rate if we weren't here?

I think that the main reason Bono did not show up at Live Earth is that the press would have focused on him too much and taken even more coverage away from the actual subject. I have been reading the news coverage online of Live Earth and it seems that all the coverage given spend more time talking about the Bono and the comparison to Live Eight than they do on the issue. If Bono had performed the press would given 2/3 of the coverage to Bono and the rest would have been a footnote. I have been seriously amused over the last year at how many people manage to mention Bono in some way or another when doing media therefore guaranteeing themselves worldwide coverage because any mention of Bono no matter how trivial is repeated all over the globe. I also think that the Live Earth organizers realize this and kept the rumors going about Bono possibly showing up for precisely this reason. They kept implying that they were talking to Bono as if they were going to get him onstage but they were probably just brainstorming ideas.

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom