disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 12:39 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 03:31 PM
disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

I don't know about anyone else but U2 not playing Live Earth has quite dissapointed me.

I thought U2 would have jumped at the ability to support this crisis.

I know it's not Bono's main concern but it's kind of a huge issue and I would say a larger issue than even the Poverty crisis.

Is it just me?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Maybe they just didn't want to interupt their recording...

Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:31 PM
Maybe its because they don't believe in climate change.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:31 AM
global warming is a crock of shit.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Or maybe it was just a lame idea. A world-wide resource-guzzling concert to show us how we should conserve resources?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:31 PM
Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvandPeace1980

it's kind of a huge issue and I would say a larger issue than even the Poverty crisis.

I'd have to disagree with you there, I believe Africa is more important- but that's just my opinion...

I don't think the band would want to be linked to yet another cause. If Bono were to suddenly jump on the climate change band-wagon too he would be shot down by the media more than what he already has copped over Africa. I think people would doubt his commitment to Africa and say he's just wanting the spotlight if he'd performed at Live Earth...

Generally I'm content by the amount of work all the guys do for a wide variety of social causes and am not disappointed they missed Live Earth- they do more than their fair share already...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Or maybe it was just a lame idea. A world-wide resource-guzzling concert to show us how we should conserve resources?
Totally agree... their means doesn't help their cause...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #8
War Child

Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by Acrobat Angel

I'd have to disagree with you there, I believe Africa is more important- but that's just my opinion...
i really never said 'important', i said larger. as in it's going to be a bigger and more complicated problem to resolve

When have U2 made these types of decisions based on what the media have thought?

I think U2 performing at Live Earth showing some support is not going to make people think that at all.

Yes if Bono becomes head of the makeglobalwarminghistory party yes, but performing at a concert doesn't mean that.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #9
War Child

Quote:

Totally agree... their means doesn't help their cause...
we are going to be using energy and jets and power for the mean time.

it doesn't take away from the argument that these concerts are trying to bring awareness.

it's such a silly argument.. 'The concerts cause emissions so boycott the purpose'
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
global warming is a crock of shit.
QFT

Excuse me, i need to go and turn more appliances on.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Local Time: 02:31 AM
I wasn't surpised and I didn't care about the whole Live Earth thing anyways (I didn't realize that Gore created a Live Aid type thing until it was too late anyways).

*Sorry if that sounded like I don't care about Mother Nature.....I do....but it's not one of my strong suits...if you can call it that*
Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvandPeace1980

i really never said 'important', i said larger. as in it's going to be a bigger and more complicated problem to resolve

When have U2 made these types of decisions based on what the media have thought?

I think U2 performing at Live Earth showing some support is not going to make people think that at all.

Yes if Bono becomes head of the makeglobalwarminghistory party yes, but performing at a concert doesn't mean that.
I think people should just come to terms that the damage has been done and it can't be reversed. The way the world is there is no way we are going to change our activities to an extent where major, positive changes will be made. The whole carbon off-set theory is a load of bull too- dollar notes will not fill the hole in the ozone layer! I personally believe the fact that people are dying from preventable circumstances is a major downfall of our society and is what we should concentrate on. 'Climate change' is just the new political buzz word to win elections.

As i said previously the band do more than their fair share and i hold nothing against them for not participating, not that i expected them to anyway. Bono just appearing at a concert would lead people to automatically label him the head of makeglobalwarminghistory- just because he is who he is.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
The lights went off in Crowded House's set... probably accidentally, but every little bit helps

People living on low-lying islands who are in immediate danger of losing their homes and livelihoods would probably disagree that climate change is just a buzz-word.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:22 AM   #14
War Child

Re: Re: Re: Re: disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

Quote:

I think people should just come to terms that the damage has been done and it can't be reversed. The way the world is there is no way we are going to change our activities to an extent where major, positive changes will be made. The whole carbon off-set theory is a load of bull too- dollar notes will not fill the hole in the ozone layer! I personally believe the fact that people are dying from preventable circumstances is a major downfall of our society and is what we should concentrate on. 'Climate change' is just the new political buzz word to win elections.

coming to terms with the damage that has been done? thats what this is about. doesn't mean you just let the world drizzle down the drain.

by the way the ozone layer has nothing to do with green house emissions and global warming!

I think you should atleast read and know some things before you start criticising it.

your argument is ridiculous at best because if our green house emissions continue to rise and the temperature continues to rise and our oceans keep getting warmer and therefore greenland or the antartic peninsula goes then we will slip into an ice age for another 1000 years.

How are we going to help anyone at all including the africans if there aint a world to inhabit?

And yes we can change things to make it better.
People with defeatst attitudes and people who keep voting in blood sucking money grubbing politicians are the real reason why change seems so dreadful.

it really is just bad habits that need changing.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:24 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Alisaura

The lights went off in Crowded House's set... probably accidentally, but every little bit helps

People living on low-lying islands who are in immediate danger of losing their homes and livelihoods would probably disagree that climate change is just a buzz-word.
The world heats and the world cools.

The ice age didn't end because of greenhouse emissions.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 07:31 AM
The world will end eventually anyways. The earth has gone through cycles like this without humans before. The preventative ads were bullshit, and the whole deal was just another feel-good moment. Not much else.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:37 AM   #17
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpionac
The world will end eventually anyways.
yeah right on!

lets just stand here in our naievety and wait for it.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:31 AM
U2 wearnt there which was too bad but thats the way it goes. Having said that I think the coverage was a lot more organized and better then it was at Live 8.....I know U2 were asked to do this gig but they turned it down a long time ago, maybe they arent big fans of Al Gore who knows, or maybe they just didnt really believe in the cause, although I doubt that because they have had GreenPeace on their album labels forever.

Probably just a scheduling issue, but still would have been nice to see them there.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 AM   #19
The Male

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coolian2

The world heats and the world cools.

The ice age didn't end because of greenhouse emissions.
QFT

Just the same, any effort to improve the environment is fine by me.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #20
Vocal parasite

Everyone's an armchair climate change skeptic now, aren't they?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog