disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
martha said:
Or maybe it was just a lame idea. A world-wide resource-guzzling concert to show us how we should conserve resources? :down:

Ditto... This Live Earth thing is such a load of cow squeeze.

Besides, they need to continue work on the new material, and let someone else save the world for now!

U2Fanatic4ever said:

thank you again cori.. Yes folks.. Al Gore has been involved in this for many years..

and for those who are lazy.. the book was published in 1992.

amazing he found time in between inventing the internet and pandering to big oil

Shakira needs to stop relying on that Hips Don't Lie song for her mileage. Get a new song to shake your stupid hips to!

GibsonGirl said:

Congratulations, you win the Idiotic Statement Of The Year award.

Try being a little nicer to other members, please. If you want to disagree with what somebody says, that's fine. However, you don't need to label other people's posts as "idiotic".

martha said:

This is an amazing assumption on your part.

You don't know the Clintons. They keep score. If they saw Bono and Edge hugging Al Gore, they would remember that. And if they get re-elected, sorry, if she gets elected, they'll remember that.

silvrlvr said:

You don't know the Clintons. They keep score. If they saw Bono and Edge hugging Al Gore, they would remember that. And if they get re-elected, sorry, if she gets elected, they'll remember that.

And they'll do what with it? Not let them share a limo to a football game again? :ohmy:

silvrlvr said:

and you do? This is the most absurd thing I have read so far... Yeah.. this is the reason Bono and Edge didn't appear... yeah uh huh.. :|

GibsonGirl said:

:|

Congratulations, you win the Idiotic Statement Of The Year award.

While it is quite true that the earth has historically gone through periods of heating and cooling, it is not helping when the human race speeds up the process. Do you HONESTLY believe that man-made pollution hasn't affected anything? That the climate would be changing at the same rate if we weren't here?

:hug:

Naturally i agree that humans are speeding it up. But...meh. Not enough.

silvrlvr said:

:lol:

I find this a little bit incredible and very two-faced by many of u2 fans here...

when someone is attacking bono for his activities in Africa than you all fight back and claim that it is the most important goal and cause there is and that bono is saint and whatnot...

but if they don't come to play on Live earth than you crap all over it, accuse them for a lot of stuff that bono is being accused because of Africa... Man, some of you really disgust me..I know that this i hard word but I stand by it...

and than someone even says that he thinks that africa is much better cause than this - well let me put it this way - if global warming gets us to the next ice age in next 50 or 100 years than ther will be no life in Africa, Europe or America...so what is more important?

I have to say that I don't push and environment groups or anything - i'm passive both on africa and environment issues, but this thread really pissed me of...it's incredible how narrow minded and just plain stupid a lot of u2 fans here are....

just had to say this...I went in to read some smart people discuss whatever and saw a lot of two-faced and shallow people (respect to exceptions).

and to get to the topic- I was not surprised to see that there was no U2 on this event. I think that it would be good that they were because they play on a lot of similar gigs and they were very active in activities around New Orleans after Katrina.... only bad taste in my mouth is left because now they give this feeling that they will not participate if they are not in organisation of the event or something similar...like they don't want to be "just" another performer....

but I'm really disappointed by the fans here -I thought that U2 fans are largely above average intelligent people but I see that they are like the rest of average humanity - stupid, biased and ignorant..

sad sad sad

U2 didn't play the Nelson Mandela concerts at Wembley in the 80s. And the number of U2 banners in the crowd outnumbered everyone else's.

U2 obviously doesn't like black people either. :sad:

Marko,

you know what.. I understand your frustration.. but name calling is totally uncalled for..

this is how threads get closed here. And if this keeps up it most certainly will.

Last edited:
Marko said:

but if they don't come to play on Live earth than you crap all over it, accuse them for a lot of stuff that but I'm really disappointed by the fans here -I thought that U2 fans are largely above average intelligent people but I see that they are like the rest of average humanity - stupid, biased and ignorant..

sad sad sad

Hey, I resent this, I'm not biased.

Marko said:
I find this a little bit incredible and very two-faced by many of u2 fans here...

when someone is attacking bono for his activities in Africa than you all fight back and claim that it is the most important goal and cause there is and that bono is saint and whatnot...

but if they don't come to play on Live earth than you crap all over it, accuse them for a lot of stuff that bono is being accused because of Africa... Man, some of you really disgust me..I know that this i hard word but I stand by it...

and than someone even says that he thinks that africa is much better cause than this - well let me put it this way - if global warming gets us to the next ice age in next 50 or 100 years than ther will be no life in Africa, Europe or America...so what is more important?

I have to say that I don't push and environment groups or anything - i'm passive both on africa and environment issues, but this thread really pissed me of...it's incredible how narrow minded and just plain stupid a lot of u2 fans here are....

just had to say this...I went in to read some smart people discuss whatever and saw a lot of two-faced and shallow people (respect to exceptions).

and to get to the topic- I was not surprised to see that there was no U2 on this event. I think that it would be good that they were because they play on a lot of similar gigs and they were very active in activities around New Orleans after Katrina.... only bad taste in my mouth is left because now they give this feeling that they will not participate if they are not in organisation of the event or something similar...like they don't want to be "just" another performer....

but I'm really disappointed by the fans here -I thought that U2 fans are largely above average intelligent people but I see that they are like the rest of average humanity - stupid, biased and ignorant..

sad sad sad

So you don't have a stance on the global warming or Africa issues, but you 're astonished at how dumb U2 fans are in this thread?

I don't know what you expected, maybe some intense political discussion on why or why not the band didn't play, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Marko said:

sad sad sad

Great points.

Unfortunately, it seems a fair amount of people are here to joke around.

Yes, it's important to keep a sense of humor, but jokes do get tiring when your fellow U2 fans are looking for an intelligent discussion and encounter 90% jokes...

It is possible to visit a message board and learn something. Please keep in mind that some people come here from places where there are few U2 fans, and are sincerely let down by the lack of interest in serious discussion of some of these topics...

silvrlvr said:

I'm not too clear on what you mean by this. So what if they remember? Is Bill Clinton going to stop his campaign for Africa because Bono or U2 participated in Live Earth (i.e. hugged Al Gore)? I think they probably didn't participate because they're not on tour (if one of the other members was very interested in this issue and they were on tour there might have been a chance) and because Bono has been quite clear that his cause is Africa and avoids participating in events that dilute his influence with that cause.

Last edited:
dr. zooeuss said:

Great points.

Unfortunately, it seems a fair amount of people are here to joke around.

Yes, it's important to keep a sense of humor, but jokes do get tiring when your fellow U2 fans are looking for an intelligent discussion and encounter 90% jokes...

It is possible to visit a message board and learn something. Please keep in mind that some people come here from places where there are few U2 fans, and are sincerely let down by the lack of interest in serious discussion of some of these topics...

This thread is less than serious but this is generally a less than serious section of this forum. The Free Your Mind section is a more suitable location for what you may be seeking.

blueeyedgirl said:

This thread is less than serious but this is generally a less than serious section of this forum. The Free Your Mind section is a more suitable location for what you may be seeking.

Thanks, Blueeyed_ ...that occurred to me as well, but if you take a quick look at the Live Earth thread currently going in FYM, you'll see why it didn't do much to alleviate my frustration. ;)

The Live Earth thread in FYM is not indicative of most discussions in that forum, so don't use that thread to judge it.

It doesn't appear that the Live Earth thing really helped anything. Except burn fuel, electricity, and not to mention all the methane from all those people who attended.

It's not like anyone expected some radical change within a day of it happening.

I don't know what the organizers' measures of success look like. I'm fairly certain it wasn't that.

"Wow, look! A day later, and the crisis has been averted! The Earth has been saaaaaaaaaaved!"

:wink:

Spunn said:
It doesn't appear that the Live Earth thing really helped anything. Except burn fuel, electricity, and not to mention all the methane from all those people who attended.

I'll admit it could have been better organized. I caught one sound byte of Gore telling Ann Curry that it was meant to launch three to five years of global warming awareness and prevention. It seems that could've been better integrated into the advertising and promotion leading up to the event, as well as more integrated into the event itself.

Still, I don't think it's overly self-righteous or expecting too much to say that I'm a little disappointed by the cynical humor that pervades much of this U2 fan forum.

Whether or not U2 played Live Earth, even a casual U2 fan knows that protecting the environment is an issue U2 have cared about for years. The fact that Bono and the guys know how to prioritize and preserve their credibility by putting their voice most behind the alleviation of poverty and AIDS does not mean they'd appreciate us all being cynical and apathetic about another important issue.

corianderstem said:
The Live Earth thread in FYM is not indicative of most discussions in that forum, so don't use that thread to judge it.

Thanks CoriA,

I hope that is the case. As you can see by my meager post tally, I'm fairly new around here.

I'm kind of skeptical of online forums in general. I know myself that there are more effective things I could be doing to help this particular cause than sitting here for hours typing away. Still, it can be an enjoyable way to share ideas and communicate with others.

Hell, I'm not even a paid member and don't have an avatar, why should I expect anyone here to take me seriously?! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom