disappointed that U2 didn't attend Live Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ZOOTVTOURist said:

Amen, my dear "Live Earth" fanatic, you nailed it – and I'll want to read your protest thread, when the next U2 tour will include airplane travel, lighting, screens, etc. It is your duty to fight against it, carry on.
But I'm tired, you don't get the irony, you don't get my point – I'll have my sleep now and leave you in your Sherwood Forest of statistics & light bulbs to be saved. Dream on, follow your leaders, but watch the parking meters...

:huh: what does a U2 tour have to with it?
You want me to believe some dude named ZOOTVTOURist over the world's top climate scientists - I think I'll take the latter.

ntalwar said:

:huh: what does a U2 tour have to with it?
You want me to believe some dude named ZOOTVTOURist over the world's top climate scientists - I think I'll take the latter.

Global warming theories are another way of keeping the third world in the dark. On the same channel 4 programme "The great global warming swindle" it gave an example as to how the west are forcing poor African developing nations to use more expensive solar powered energy instead of using the earths resources to power their electricity. It showed one school doing this. Now that doesn't add up to me....the poorest nations on earth using expensive solar power for their electricity?:huh:

rjhbonovox said:

Global warming theories are another way of keeping the third world in the dark. On the same channel 4 programme "The great global warming swindle" it gave an example as to how the west are forcing poor African developing nations to use more expensive solar powered energy instead of using the earths resources to power their electricity. It showed one school doing this. Now that doesn't add up to me....the poorest nations on earth using expensive solar power for their electricity?:huh:

So uniformed. Adobe construction and solar could easily be used in Africa at little cost. It just needs to be done right, I've seen homes heated and cooled as low as $50 a year...

Just inform yourselves...

coolian2 said:
Although i finally should add, for the record... saving power etc etc is still a good idea.

100% agreed. But honestly: Who doubts, that saving energy is a good idea in these days, really violates all of the unwritten & written laws, we have.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So uniformed. Adobe construction and solar could easily be used in Africa at little cost. It just needs to be done right, I've seen homes heated and cooled as low as $50 a year...

Just inform yourselves...

Yeah and the industrial revolution that is happening in China, they're pumping out more carbon into the atmosphere than ever as they are developing. But why shouldn't they, USA and Europe have been doing it for years so why shouldn't China. So hey why not push this climate change rubbish through so we can put a hold on China from developing.

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah and the industrial revolution that is happening in China, they're pumping out more carbon into the atmosphere than ever as they are developing. But why shouldn't they, USA and Europe have been doing it for years so why shouldn't China. So hey why not push this climate change rubbish through so we can put a hold on China from developing.

Did you see this on tv too?

As you might have read above: This thread is useless, pointless – leading towards nowhere. Two parties, mostly following black & white pictures in their heads: "Live Earth" believers against non-believers – what a wonderful stupid world ...

rjhbonovox said:

:lol:

martha said:
:shrug:

Then stop posting in it.

But then he wouldn't see how he "shapes" the discussion.

Personally, I don't know how you can not believe in global warming. It's science, not some random theory, but something grounded with firm proof and facts.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Personally, I don't know how you can not believe in global warming. It's science, not some random theory, but something grounded with firm proof and facts.

Its rubbish. Just another way of stealth taxing a motorist off the road. In fact its another reason for upping tax on fuel in the UK, cos of global warming. Until I start seeing summers of 40c+ for months on end and winters of 15foot snow then there is no global warming problem. :wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Its rubbish. Just another way of stealth taxing a motorist off the road. In fact its another reason for upping tax on fuel in the UK, cos of global warming. Until I start seeing summers of 40c+ for months on end and winters of 15foot snow then there is no global warming problem. :wink:

You can :wink: all you want. It doesn't make your position any less uniformed.

rjhbonovox said:

You won't see them, because we'll probably all be fucking dead by then. :wink::wink::wink:

Last edited:
LemonMacPhisto said:

But dude, this isn't about whether or not global warming exists, but, rather, what causes it and what we can do to prevent it.

I'm quite certain the earth is heating up, but why is something I'm still not 100% sold on. Either way, who cares? We should do something to help the environment whether we're hurting it or not anyway.

LemonMelon said:

But dude, this isn't about whether or not global warming exists, but, rather, what causes it and what we can do to prevent it.

I'm quite certain the earth is heating up, but why is something I'm still not 100% sold on. Either way, who cares? We should do something to help the environment whether we're hurting it or not anyway.

You're right, but it still amazes me there are people out there who cannot accept the fact that this is actually happening.

LemonMacPhisto said:
You're right, but it still amazes me there are people out there who cannot accept the fact that this is actually happening.

Ahem, no. Actually your statement(s) and some othere here, too, show the unsolvable problem of this thread. You and some of your buddies ignore the actual topic here (by other standards, you would have closed this useless and wrong leading "battle" long ago ...) because of your very one-sided point of views and argumentation.
The actual topic is: Disappointed, U2 didn't play "Live Earth"? Yes? Or no?
The answer: Some fans are, some fans aren't. And we won't go any further than that, I promise.

Now the discussion has taken another road: Because you and some others think, that fans, who are happy with U2 not having played, automatically ignore/don't accept the climate change theories.
But this kind of manipulating other people's views is very dangerous, my dear. Think about it.

Because (nearly) everybody here knows, that there is climate change. It is a fact that weather extremes are more common in the last decades and mankind seems to contribute, too. But just remember, that here in Middle Europe, where there are now green and (maybe too) sunny meadows, some thousand years ago there were gigantic glaciers. A fact, too.
So obviously there are big differences here in opinions, how/when/whether the climate change, in which we do live for thousands of years and do live today, will affect our lives now. And how/when/whether our industrial, world polluting societies worldwide do enforce the climate change. And how/when/whether/what we really can do "against" the natural/man-made climate change.
And to return to the topic, there are big differences, whether this debatable "Live Earth" spectacle will help/ has helped anything at all to improve the situation. And with no jealousy, folks: I doubt, whether so called speakers or singers for the good cause, who mostly own the biggest cars, the biggest private jets, who build the biggest hitech stages (needing a power station on their own for one single gig....), who own a dozen properties, are really convincing diplomates for "save one light bulb and the world will be a better place". I think, that's perverse.
So please allow me, that I don't beLIEve in "Live Earth" and its heads.
And unfortunately I do see now politicians jump on a new (popularized) train waggon, promising a lot, keeping nothing – except the news, we all have to pay (newly invented) taxes "for the environment" – that will be used for other things without our knowing. This all happeing, while other important, "promised to be solved problems" disappear in the shelves of (inter) national politicians.
Just listen outside: Who still talks now about mass starvation in Africa and on other continents? Who still talks about mass poverty in your own countries? And what is done here? It's quiet outside now regarding these important topics.
There's a dark side of the moon, folks, a dangerous shadow in the spotlights of "Live Earth"...

@ some other folks
I don't want to "shape" any discussion here, but I want to hear real, constructive arguments – and try (neither by myself not always successful, too) to keep a kind of civilized discussion culture and tolerance. Just respect that difference in opinions – as I do respect yours. That's all, but it's not black & white ...

Last edited:
ZOOTVTOURist said:

The actual topic is: Disappointed, U2 didn't play "Live Earth"? Yes? Or no?

Exactly.

I kind of want to just close this thread now because I feel the topic has been exhausted and is focusing more on global warming and less on U2. I'll leave it open for now...but if we don't get back to talking about the original topic, I think I'll just close this thread.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Perhaps because in the history of this planet there has been massive cooling and warming before. So why should it be all of a sudden due to man made carbon emissions. On this channel 4 programme they showed an actual clip from a tv news report made in the 1970's. In this clip there was a scientist going on about how we should be worried about global cooling as for the previous 3 decades the avergage temperatures had fallen. 30 years on we NOW should be worried about global warming. So which is it to be?

rjhbonovox said:

Perhaps because in the history of this planet there has been massive cooling and warming before. So why should it be all of a sudden due to man made carbon emissions.

Basically most emissions come from Fossil Fuel Power plants and we have far too many of them not to mention as of 2002, there were 590 million cars in the world so we must be causing problems by now

rjhbonovox said:

On this channel 4 programme they showed an actual clip from a tv news report made in the 1970's. In this clip there was a scientist going on about how we should be worried about global cooling as for the previous 3 decades the avergage temperatures had fallen. 30 years on we NOW should be worried about global warming. So which is it to be?
so it was one scientist who said cooling.. so but millions people around the world are saying heating.. do the math

Bonochick said:

Exactly.

I kind of want to just close this thread now because I feel the topic has been exhausted and is focusing more on global warming and less on U2. I'll leave it open for now...but if we don't get back to talking about the original topic, I think I'll just close this thread.

Well, I guess we are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom