Dirty Day or Exit into Gone NEXT TOUR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I am never much of a set list specualtor. U2 is hard to pin down, no one would have expected some of the songs that came back on Vertigo tour to ever be touched again. They have such a great catalogue that is very diverse and it is often not helpful to speculate. That being said, I want to make an exception, especially since some of us are talking about how Gone should come back the next tour.(something about a Hannah Montana routine, but I'll leave that to the crazies among us:)

What does everyone think about bringing back:

Dirty Day and seguing it into Gone
Exit and seguing it into Gone

Also, could they rotate these 2 songs but keep Gone the constant?

All 3 are similarly dark songs that show the anger and intensity U2 can play with, and all are incredible live. This is a side of U2 that was kind of pushed to the back burner last tour-at least the dark, angry side. The intensity was there.(Vertigo, electric co, the fly,utteotw)
Any responses greatly appreciated!

I think after an EXPLOSIVE Gone, they should then segue into Dirty Day....with one of those long eerie sequences between the two songs (kind of like how Streets went into Velvet Dress)

PS: And I hope for no strip down versions of songs....Acoustic Desire is allowed....occasionally.

U2387 said:
I am never much of a set list specualtor. U2 is hard to pin down, no one would have expected some of the songs that came back on Vertigo tour to ever be touched again. They have such a great catalogue that is very diverse and it is often not helpful to speculate. That being said, I want to make an exception, especially since some of us are talking about how Gone should come back the next tour.(something about a Hannah Montana routine, but I'll leave that to the crazies among us:)

What does everyone think about bringing back:

Dirty Day and seguing it into Gone
Exit and seguing it into Gone

Also, could they rotate these 2 songs but keep Gone the constant?

All 3 are similarly dark songs that show the anger and intensity U2 can play with, and all are incredible live. This is a side of U2 that was kind of pushed to the back burner last tour-at least the dark, angry side. The intensity was there.(Vertigo, electric co, the fly,utteotw)
Any responses greatly appreciated!

Dirty Day into Gone would be perfect.

dbs

WOW, I really, really, REEEEEEEEEEEEALLLY don't understand how most of interference feels about Dirty Day...:confused: :huh: :no:

I would so much prefer seeing Exit, in fact I don't even want Dirty Day on the next tour, I'd pick maybe 40 songs before it

Zootlesque said:

Watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIsFPZit-_M

...and then let's see if you feel the same way about Dirty Day. :wink:

better than studio, definitely...

that's an intense performance and well done, i like a lot of things about it....I actually just watched the Sydney DVD again and heard this but it was 3 in the morning and probably wasn't awake enough to enjoy it....

I still think the song lacks a little something, it feels empty....even that live version, when the whole band gets louder and the band explodes like at 3:17....I love that part, i just think the quieter parts drag on too long and loose the audience...personally if they're going to bring an older song back from the 90's I'd prefer an Ultraviolet, yes quite a different song but I just think it would work better...ZooTV Washington i think it's 8/16/92....such a good performance....compare the two, then tell me what you'd rather see :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JMjqC2PKZo

Oh hell yeah! I've seen that performance before and would definitely prefer Ultraviolet to Dirty Day. The thing is I only posted that link for you to show you that DD is not a bad song. Your post made me think that you did not like DD at all. I think it's a good song but when you're gonna compare it to something as mindblowing as Ultraviolet, it's not hard to choose. :wink:

As for the topic, yeah I guess it could work. I don't know if it'll be as awesome as Please..Streets or RTSS..Streets though.

Ah... my old friend... Dirty Day. What might have been... if the band had bothered to write a chorus to go with your magnificent verses and your breathtaking and sublime "from father to son..." bridge. I shed a tear for you when I think of the song you almost were...

theyre both amazing but to go along with gone, id have to choose dirty day
exit :heart:

Varitek said:
either is a great idea. this thread owns the other gone thread in terms of sanity and quality of idea.

Well thank you very much! I thought so myself, and it has the added benefit of being realistic and not just crazy suggestions any of us can make. It should probably lead to less tangents and personal sniping. I guess we Boston people think alike/are crazy enough to watch Red Sox games at 6 in the morning!

oh and that settles whether bono's guitar is plugged in. (not the sickest..... but perfect for the song).

I think Exit into Last Night On Earth could be interesting, too. That explosive guitar at the end of Exit, then Adam's bass line at the start of LNOE rising from the chaos of it.

I'd love to see them move away from thematic movements in the show next tour and arrange the setlist based on what songs work well together. I think that would give them more flexibility in terms of the setlist, too.

Dirty Day --> Gone would be great. I'd also be interested to hear the pairing of Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Mofo, but I don't think that one will ever happen.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I'd also be interested to hear the pairing of Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and Mofo, but I don't think that one will ever happen.

Throw in Zooropa & Do You Feel Loved :drool:

Clawgrabber said:
they will never play exit again. It is an amazing song, but since it became the subject of controversy in the Rebecca Schaeffer murder trial (her killer said the song inspired him to commit the crime), it will most likely never make another U2 setlist.

see I don't understand this.......so how many years ago was that? 20? some idiot says it inspired him to do harm, and now the song is just left in the dust? That just doesn't make sense to me, I mean maybe for a little bit after the incident, but to throw it out completely forever? It seems like that's what they've done....but wtf....

maybe I'm not explaining myself clearly, but something about this frustrates me and just doesn't make sense....Anyone know of an interview, preferably more recent one but any will do, in which he discusses this song or incident?

Back
Top Bottom