Did you see Rattle & Hum in the theaters or only DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I was fortunate enough to be at the premiere showing in my town on a Friday night when it was released. Where the Streets Don't Have No Name on the big screen was just phenomenal.

I realize many interferencers are young so I was just wondering who had the pleasure of seeing it big and beautiful.

BTW, this might give away your age to some degree.:wink:

Last edited:
I saw in a theatre in Michigan when it was released. I went back and saw it a second time before it was gone.

I am sure glad I got the DVD because my VHS was just about worn out. The movie never gets enough (any?) credit for catching the greatest band of all time during one of the many peaks of their career.

So you were the kid who wouldn't stop crying and fussing during the show. :wink:

Saw it the day it came out in a theatre that had recently been redesigned with awsome sound and large reclining seats. It was great. Went back three or four more times.

My only real complaint was not enough live tracks especially One Tree Hill. And I think they should have used the concert footage of the choir singing with I Still Haven't Found instead of the church footage.

I never saw Rattle and Hum in the theatre, but wanted to give you guys some feedback on its popularity.

I own a DVD store here in Adelaide, and the top 5 music dvd's are always Robbie Williams and U2. You always get the odd new release which has a good run for a few days, but Rattle and Hum and Slane Castle are consistently good sellers week on week. U2 and RW this xmas outsold all other music dvds 5 to 1.

I'll never forget when I downloaded the MTV special of the Brooklyn Bridge and played it on the plasma screen at work. I had people practically begging me for it. Naturally we copied it for anyone who asked free of charge, but it really is amazing how many u2 fans there actually are out there. They just really are very quiet and appreciate the band and its music.

Heres hoping we see ZooTV and Pop on DVD sooner rather than later, as well as a Vertigo DVD for each leg of the tour:)

Cheers
Sken

I saw it opening night at the Paramount in downtown Edmonton. It was a great experience, no one sat down, it was like being at a concert. Then my buddies and i continued to see it every night for 17 nights in a row.

I bought my DVD player the same day the movie was released in the new format, thinking about all of those sweet deleted scenes that i had heard so much about. Man what a dissapointment to just get the movie trailer!

a friend and myself went to nyc for the premire at the Astor Plaza, the band also showed up and watched it there.

it was crazy, we got there and it was sold out, so we were pretty disapointed as you can imagine. we got a few beers and drank them (brown bagged them) in the area all day checking out all the action and all the sudden a lady pulled up the shade of ticket window and pulled down the 'sold out sign'
we were able to see the movie about 20 rows behind the band.

I rented it on VHS in 1992 then purchased it new on VHS in 1993 for 6 dollars at Sam Goody. I remember the VHS came inside a large box, so I thought that was weird how it was double packed. I played it daily for nearly 2 years then brought it out once a year. I had it up until 2002 actually until I got it on DVD and then sold the VHS tape with some CDS to a local music store for store credit.

I didn't get to see it in theaters... :-/ I became a fan during the Pop era, so I had a lot of catching up to do! I rented Rattle & Hum (I'm pretty sure!), Red Rocks, Zoo TV Sydney all in one night and was absolutely fucking blown away. My brain almost couldn't comprehend how great this band was/is. *G*

Anyhoo... I WISH I could have seen Rattle & Hum in theaters, though! :drool:

Last edited:
For the longest time, before the theater closed, The Paramount in Edmonton would play R&H once a month Saturday at midnight, it was so cool!

Sken said:
I never saw Rattle and Hum in the theatre, but wanted to give you guys some feedback on its popularity.

I own a DVD store here in Adelaide, and the top 5 music dvd's are always Robbie Williams and U2. You always get the odd new release which has a good run for a few days, but Rattle and Hum and Slane Castle are consistently good sellers week on week. U2 and RW this xmas outsold all other music dvds 5 to 1.

I'll never forget when I downloaded the MTV special of the Brooklyn Bridge and played it on the plasma screen at work. I had people practically begging me for it. Naturally we copied it for anyone who asked free of charge, but it really is amazing how many u2 fans there actually are out there. They just really are very quiet and appreciate the band and its music.

Heres hoping we see ZooTV and Pop on DVD sooner rather than later, as well as a Vertigo DVD for each leg of the tour:)

Cheers
Sken

That's pretty cool :up:. I always beam whenever I hear/see such positive comments about U2...makes me proud to be a U2 fan :D.

Heh, people are talking about wearing out tapes and stuff...I first saw this movie back in August 2002, and I have lost count of how many times I've watched the blasted thing since then. If you were to watch it with me on my tape, you'd know I watched it a lot, 'cause now "All I Want Is You" sounds slightly warped towards the end :p.

It's a great movie, though, how can I not want to watch it constantly?

Angela

I was there the opening night at Groman's Chinese Theatre. I payed $20 to go and the crowd in the threatre were waiting. Little did I know that they were playing live outside for the fans. They came in and sat in the front row and I was on the same side towards the back. The movie was great and there was so much energy in the room. I was so bummed when i heard that there was a small concert outside and that I missed it. That was the closest I have ever gotten to u2. I know alot of you have met them and you are so fortunate.

Theater baby. Went with my best friend when we were in the 7th or 8th grade. He is a casual fan. I was hooked from first listen of the song Pride when i was in like 5th or 6th grade. So when I saw R&H in the theater, I was:rockon:

Some of the younger folks here don't know this, but the internet wasn't really around or at least as popular and advanced as it is today. So back in 1988, the only way to see a band was through MTV, and if you didn't have cable (yes, some people didn't have cable either), you had no idea about the physical traits of a band, their stage presense, their charisma etc.:wink:

Long live R&H:up:

Numb1075 said:
Some of the younger folks here don't know this, but the internet wasn't really around or at least as popular and advanced as it is today. So back in 1988, the only way to see a band was through MTV, and if you didn't have cable (yes, some people didn't have cable either), you had no idea about the physical traits of a band, their stage presense, their charisma etc.:wink:

Long live R&H:up: [/B]

Hey, Numb that is an excellent point. Access to music and a band is so different today then in the past. Ironically, even with today's technology, is almost impossible to see a band through MTV.:wink:

david said:
I rented it on VHS in 1992 then purchased it new on VHS in 1993 for 6 dollars at Sam Goody. I remember the VHS came inside a large box, so I thought that was weird how it was double packed. I played it daily for nearly 2 years then brought it out once a year. I had it up until 2002 actually until I got it on DVD and then sold the VHS tape with some CDS to a local music store for store credit.

I also bought the VHS at Sam Goody for $6 in the same big package. I still have it around somewhere.

When I was 18, one of the university theaters showed R&H. It was great seeing it in the theater. By that point, my friends and I had probably seen it 50 times at home. There was just something different with the theater packed with U2 fans--everybody singing along.

My wife got me the DVD this last Christmas. Awesome.

I bought a shirt when I saw the premere at the Cinedome in Orange, CA. Since then, I wore out two VHS tapes, got an asian vcd of it, then finally bought the wide screen dvd last year!

mysticchild said:
I was there the opening night at Groman's Chinese Theatre. I payed $20 to go and the crowd in the threatre were waiting. Little did I know that they were playing live outside for the fans. They came in and sat in the front row and I was on the same side towards the back. The movie was great and there was so much energy in the room. I was so bummed when i heard that there was a small concert outside and that I missed it. That was the closest I have ever gotten to u2. I know alot of you have met them and you are so fortunate.

I actually saw it November 03, 1988 (Night before the Los Angeles Premiere) at the DGA theater in Los Angeles. Showed up after scamming a Radio Station that was giving away tickets to tell us where "The Secret Showing" was...Waited til 2 minutes before show time, and they let us in without tickets...(Theater was almost full)

Drove back up to LA the next night, to see them perform on the street outside Groman's Chinese Theatre. Videotaped it, but my video camera didn't have a zoom, and it's basically a shot of a cop telling me to keep moving... :)

Trabbie said:
I bought a shirt when I saw the premere at the Cinedome in Orange, CA. Since then, I wore out two VHS tapes, got an asian vcd of it, then finally bought the wide screen dvd last year!

I actually saw it (again) at he "Cinedump" and bootleged it! My camera shot about half the screen though...(And the roof above the screen)

I drove by the construction site that used to be the Cinedome, and always think about all the movies I saw there....

Thanks Trevster....

You can see "musicians" on MTV today still.......if your name is Usher, Fitty Cent, or Lil John.....Let's get Crunk !:wink:

Back
Top Bottom