Did you ever have misconceptions about U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
Before I was a U2 fan, I had a LOT of misconceptions about the band, most of which are quite embarrassing.
redface.gif

1. I thought ISHFWILF was a song sung by Tears for Fears.
2. I thought U2 was a heavy metal band.
3. I thought Larry was gay. Cute, but gay.

On second thought, *all* of these misconceptions are quite embarrasing...

mmmmm... can't remember exactly back that far but I guess the first time I heard EMF's Unbelievable I thought it sounded like God Part II or Desire, therefore it should be U2's new single, lol.

Also back in late 80s I had a *moment* when I thought I liked Guns n' Roses better. Thank God I woke up in time. Thanks to my evil brother who destroyed all my crappy LPs... It worked!!!

One of my friends saw Numb on MTV and uptil 1999 he used to think that U2 was a rap group.

------------------
In this Ozland

Embrassing but true...mixing up Edge and Adam in "Streets" video. (didn't know who was who)

Originally posted by kariatari:
2. I thought U2 was a heavy metal band.

I thought I was the only one! This was a loooong time ago. To me, back in the 80s, all rock bands made that heavy metal, big hair crap.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I thought they were going to tour Australia during the Elevation Tour

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I never really had misconceptions about U2. But I know people that have. My cousin thought some of the members were gay, my step mom thought With Or Without You was sung by Billy Idol... I knew a girl that thought they were "heavy metal" during the Rattle and Hum phase. I knew some people that thought crappy 80's bands sung most of U2's hits.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back when I became a U2 fan in 84, my first album was October. I had no idea who was who for almost a year. I think I remember thinking Larry was Bono.

Well, thanks to my bro who introduced me to U2 when i was 6 years old i only had one misconception.......it was the HMTMKMKM video. I didn't know all that much about U2...they'd been away from the media for (from i knew at the time) 3 years, and I was only 10-11 years old at the time. When i saw the video i actually thought that they had sided along with Marylin Manson and become Satin worshipers.!!??@##$!@?!!@$?#$

I'm glad their not!
biggrin.gif

Ofcourse that only lasted as long as my short-term memory did. I soon forgot all about U2 until the beginning of 1999, THEN i really started to get into them. THANK GOD FOR THE BEST OF THE 80s!

Bless ya!
WHYWHY.

Originally posted by WHYWHY:
Well, thanks to my bro who introduced me to U2 when i was 6 years old i only had one misconception.......it was the HMTMKMKM video. I didn't know all that much about U2...they'd been away from the media for (from i knew at the time) 3 years, and I was only 10-11 years old at the time. When i saw the video i actually thought that they had sided along with Marylin Manson and become Satin worshipers.!!??@##$!@?!!@$?#$

I'm glad their not!
biggrin.gif

Ofcourse that only lasted as long as my short-term memory did. I soon forgot all about U2 until the beginning of 1999, THEN i really started to get into them. THANK GOD FOR THE BEST OF THE 80s!

Bless ya!
WHYWHY.

Marilyn Manson aren't Satan worshippers. Satin maybe. He loves luxury.

I say this as a longtime fan, and as someone who has been around them.

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

You guys are funny!! I don't know if this can be considered a misconception, but seeing as though its not true, then perhaps--> back during the Joshua Tree, I thought all U2 songs sounded the same. Hey! My fave band at the time was Wham! ok?!@ lol Rattle&Hum quickly cleared my mind of dilusions... well, some might not agree, but in terms of U2 it did.
biggrin.gif

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

1. Thought U2 was new back when Pop was released.

2. Kept thinking that Edge played bass.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

When I was young, I confused U2 with Ace of Base.

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

Originally posted by madonna's child:
When I was young, I confused U2 with Ace of Base.

WTF?! OMG! That has to be the funniest thing ever! LOL!

If ya don't mind me asking, how did you get those to confused? (Or are you just kidding...cuz I'm very gullible...)

When ISHFWILF first came out I thought it was called, "These city walls".
rolleyes.gif

Hey, I was only 11 at the time!!!!!

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Have to admit that I thought U2 were not my style of music without knowing anything written by them. When my girlfriend played "God Part II", I changed my mind quickly. I still think it?s one of their masterpieces.

I remember watching a video with my dad once, and I could of swore he said it was U2.....he goes, hey, I wanna see how they sound with their new drummer.

I was like, U2 got a new drummer??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I went back to the October cover and saw the four names....then to AB cover, and saw Larry Mullen Jr....so I thought, oh they got his son to join.....

took me forever to figure it out. very consfusing.

Well, i can't think of any I had, but I do remember hearing that a radio Dj could not figure out how Bono(as in Sonny) got into an Irish rock group!!! HAAA lol! Too funny, but you know HE does like pizza-maybe that's what threw him off!! HHHAA :>0

The first time I remember seeing U2 was when their "Numb" video played on MTV. I thought it was a boring video and couldn't understand why they played it 24/7. Until 1994 I wasn't sure who was the true lead singer. Did Edge sing half the songs and Bono the other half? I didn't know.

I also thought their music was a bit harder. Then again, I had only heard "numb" and "HMTMKMKM".

I was pleasantly surprised when I heard their other songs and realized they were more than any other rock band.

A friend of mine used to get U2 mixed up with NIN...I think because of that one video they did with the pig head on a stick, and the lead singer kind of looks like Bono with those goggles and the hair...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by kariatari:
WTF?! OMG! That has to be the funniest thing ever! LOL!

If ya don't mind me asking, how did you get those to confused? (Or are you just kidding...cuz I'm very gullible...)

No, I'm dead serious. I guess Ace of Base had their big, what was it, 2 songs during the early 90's. The same time U2 released their Achtung Baby singles. So, for whatever reason I thought U2 were Ace of Base. I don't know how I got confused, but I was damn sure that U2 band were responsible for "The Sign" !!!
biggrin.gif

I was only about 8 years old, though. You have to cut me a break!

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

That's way funny! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who mixed up music groups when I was younger!
biggrin.gif

I don't remember any misconceptions per se... i got into u2 when i was very young and i don't remember it too well. I do remember that I knew One well cause it got so much radio play, but I got into U2 with Numb, and then when my brother got Achtung Baby it was like "ohmygod! that's U2? wooooah!"

Same thing happened with Radiohead and High and Dry.

I used to think u2 played some kind of wierd electronic music...before i picked up a book that talked about them, i would push the thought of U2 out of my mind because i thought of the airplane of the same name going "woosh!" over my head. so i thought the bands music would be like that...
i also used to think "Silver and GOld" was about pirates.:shrug:

also, when i first saw Bono's name i thought, is that Sonny Bono? I thought it was, but then i thought, no way, if that was sonny bono it would say SONNY bono! i also thought he was black or a rapper...it was a long time before i saw a pic of him (on the cover of ATYCLB) and for a while i pictured him as looking a little like Elvis.
and of course i pronounced it wrong until one of my youth group leader was talking about someone's hair as looking like Bono's hair and i heard him say it BAH-no and i was like, "oh"
also i was shocked when i saw him lie down on stage with a woman and KISS her during a concert i saw on TV.
now it doesnt really shock me.

wertsie said:
A friend of mine used to get U2 mixed up with NIN...I think because of that one video they did with the pig head on a stick, and the lead singer kind of looks like Bono with those goggles and the hair...

Wow... I made the very same mistake. That's the 'Closer' video, right?

Another misconception: I thought WOWY and ISHFWILF were annoying, repetitive songs. Boy was I wrong.

And then I was watching some awards show with my brother and the Edge was making an acceptance speech; my brother said, "Wait a minute... He talks?" :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom