Did you ever have misconceptions about U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is probably the most embarassing thing i have ever done.

My dad and I were at a record store, and I wanted to pick up a Creed cd (still embarrassed). My dad kept telling me to buy ATYCLB, which had just come out, but i insisted and bought that peice-of-crap Creed CD.

Then, on a vacation to Michigan with the family, we decided to stop by Wal-Mart and pick up a few tunes. My dad picked up The Joshua Tree (his fav U2 album) and we popped it in as we drove. Man, it blew me away! I was amazed.

When we got back to our home in Los Angeles, i quickly picked up ATYCLB and checked for tour dates...

I was 2 months late for the LA show! I was so mad.

Can't wait for the next tour (later this year :wink:)

This one is pretty bad, but, when I first got into the band in summer 2000, I only owned the joshua tree and the best of. I thought ATYCLB was the only album they released after the joshua tree, and that's why everyone kept saying they were making a "comeback".:reject:

I have been a fan since the mid 80's (14 - 15 years old at the time). When I first heard them I had no idea who they were or what they looked like. Now when JT came out, I had no idea that it was their 5th album. I thought it was their second one. Now you are asking about MTV. Well, I never had cable so I was going under my own assumptions. The only thing that I had was the videos on a UHF channel that was on after school for about 30 minutes. Everything else I got from the radio. When AB was released, i didn't believe that was U2's lastest songs. It didn't sound like U2 at all to me. It was nothing like JT. When I saw the AB album, I started to have second thoughts about their sexuality, that's with the drag and the make-up and all. Again, since I still don't have cable, I was clueless. I still don't have cable to this very day! Never even owned it, believe it or not. All the way up to the Elevation Tour, I always thought of them as the typical celebrities. You know the nose up in the air and not caring about the fans. I didn't even know that they had their own website. I thought a U2 concert was going to be a typical one. Hearing and seeing them live in person was the only goal that I had in store like all the other people that I have seen. Little did I know that a U2 concert would move me spiritually. My life changed when I saw them for the first time. They blew me away! I had no idea that they would touch my soul. I have seen Sting and George Michael in concert, and they never came even close to what I experienced at that U2 show.

Everything that I knew was wrong...mmmm...why does that sound familiar? Damn that U2...ironic and scary!

I had no idea that 80's U2 and 90's U2 were the same band until just a few years ago; I knew Bono was always there but thought maybe he'd switched or something. And I thought the radio dj's were confused when they said HMTMKMKM was U2. :reject:

Never realised numb was a u2 song until a few years back

didnt realise that the mission impossible theme was written by 2 members of u2, who i once wrongly declared the artists as adam mullin and larry clayton jr.....

Great thread! I became a casual fan around 1990 when I first heard "Boy". I was 10 at the time. For the next 3 years, I thought that was the only album they ever released and that they were some no name band that faded away into oblivion. Then I started listining to the radio a lot and realized NYD and Pride was also them, but still didn't know anything from JT onward was them.

I also remember when I didn't know who was who and couldn't even corrolate the faces from different album covers with one another. For example, looking at Edge on the UF cover I couldn't figure out which member was the same one on the cover of AB.

Finally, I remember at one point thinking Van Deiman's Land was the only vocal contribution whatsoever from Edge and that all backing vocals were over dubs of Bono.

I thought U2 was a Christian band. I have nothing against Christian bands as such but a friend was commenting on the religious imagery and the band's personal spirituality and all that...I just did the dumb thing and assumed. Since I wasn't into that I gave them a miss. Mistake.

That was BEFORE the Unforgettable Fire video..the one filmed in the studio. After that point I didn't care...

dream wanderer

I tought they split up after ZOO TV. My brother kept telling me they did. I didn?t have cable TV, any information, nothing. I was desparate till HMTMKMKM eas realised. Another thing is that I was shocked when Edge started singing "Love, we shine like a burning star..." in Fly during ZOO TV in Sydney video.

Back
Top Bottom