Did U218 Serve Its Purpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok u218 was the 3rd u2 best of in 10 years , it was released last year to the annoyance of most die hard fans.

according to the band they released it for casual and young fans to easily digest u2's music and hope they would like it and buy their back catalogue.

what i want to know is did it work?

are there any fans here who joined INTERFERANCE and bought the whole back catalogue because of u218?

let us know please.

When they released U2 18, a part of my U2 inner child died.
I guess they may win some new recruits with that release and part of me can sort of understand why they did it, but I don't like it.
One of my many gripes would be how on earth that utter tripe "The Saints Are coming" can be chosen as one of the bands best 18 songs? It would put off more potential fans than it would win.

I think the reason for releasing U218 was partly to win young and casual fans, but really, it would not of been released if the tour wasn't postponed- afterall they needed something to sell to coincide with the final leg....
I don't think it was a definitive collection of U2 songs, but i guess for people who are casual, they would of liked it i guess...

There wouldn't be a U218 if it wasn't for contractual reasons due to the band leaving Island. That collection probably ruined the chances of a decent Best of 2000-2010.

It probably did work, just like some fans got on board with previous Best of's.

My comment would be drop S. Thing and two of the ATYCLB songs and put Gloria (ripped off on the 80's Best of), Stay and Discotheque instead (so at least more albums are represented), and not pass off U218 as the ultimate and definiitve collection. Stick I will follow as an extra song in there, it was done with certain versions of U218 anyway.

U218 wasn't intended for anyone in here. Lets hope though it is the last best of for a long time. I hate the cliche 'sell out' but whatever it means to sell out, U2 came close to it with yet another best of.

U2girl said:
a decent Best of 2000-2010.

But to have a Best of 2000-2010, they're going to have to release some songs during that period. If they keep to their current schedule, thaty's only going to be three albums, and ATYCLB was represented on 1990-2000. Two albums isn't going to make a Best Of. :mad:

I could never really understand this release. Who was it actually aimed at? If it was soley intended for the casual fan, then why put two new songs on it along with a new DVD of a partial concert, which will undoubtedly attract the die-hards attention and encourage him/her to part with their money (which is indeed what I did).

On the whole the 'best of' collections represent the bands classic work, although there are a few ommisions, and I think if I didn't really know U2 and I wanted to purchase part of their back catalogue I'd go straight for one of them rather than 18 singles. I'd want the very best songs rather than just the commercial ones.

Plus I wasn't keen on them releasing it at Christmas (although I know why they did), especially as they'd put out the Sydney 93 DVD only a month or so beforehand. It seemed to much of a cash cow for my liking. When they released the 'best of 1980-90' in 99/00, it was coming right off the back of Popmart which they deemed to be a bit of a misfire that had dented their reputation, and they needed to remind people of how good they were. But ever since their massive come back with ATYCLB there's no need to resort to these measures.

Last edited:
I have a cunning plan, if u2 want "casual fans" to sample what u2 are really about...............RELEASE A LIVE CD! Live is what they are about. Most of the studio stuff sounds completley dull compared to its live twin.

No, I don't think it served its purpose. It's a piss-poor introduction to U2 and I haven't seen it make any impact at all.

As someone who got into U2 via Bad, Gone, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock, I'd probably forget about U2 straight away if I had been introduced to them via U2:18.

They should've just released the Videos DVD - that would've made more sense. Also the Window In the Skies vids, didn't make it. Poor marketing.

Axver said:
No, I don't think it served its purpose. It's a piss-poor introduction to U2 and I haven't seen it make any impact at all.

As someone who got into U2 via Bad, Gone, and 11 O'clock Tick Tock, I'd probably forget about U2 straight away if I had been introduced to them via U2:18.

This is the crux of the matter!
I got into U2 via Bad at live Aid and later on this appetite was fed by Unforgettable Fore, Joshua Tree, Night and Day, Wild Irish Rose,Hawkmoon 269 live, Achtung baby and revisiting Boy etc.
I cannot imagine a young An Cat Gab being similarly impressed by The Saints Are Coming, Walk On and Window in The Skies.

Axver said:

Agreed. The opening of Windows alone would keep me away from U2 for life. I got into the band via the magic of Red Hill Mining Town, In God's Country and The Unforgettable Fire. U2:18 was a failure that affected no one outside the fanbase but the damage was deep for a lot of hardcore fans.

Part of it was trying to get a hit record for the new label, right?

I doubt anyone would say it was the hit the band was wanting. So on that level it was a failure as well.

Wasn't it the last Island release for U2 rather than a new hit release for Mercury ? :huh: I know there was talk of them being obliged to come up with a third Best of because of the 3 Best of contract signed in 1998.

(although a live or a non-singles Best of would be a better idea)

I tell you what the best "recruiting sergeant" could be, and that would be an album of new material brought out more than once every four years! They may be surprised by the army of new fans that would bring them!

An Cat Gav said:
I tell you what the best "recruiting sergeant" could be, and that would be an album of new material brought out more than once every four years! They may be surprised by the army of new fans that would bring them!

An album ... of new material ... frequently ...?

What a wacky idea! What planet are you from?

I still think it wasn't needed. We'd ALL prefer a compilation of rare and unreleased songs. It would be a compilation too.

U218 wasn't worthy for anyone, neither for new fans that will be, with the album, very very restricted to a 1D vision of U2's career.

Sell out's! :giggle:

Did it fulfill the contractual agreements they had to leave the label?

Yes.

So it served it's purpose.

Now let's forget about this god-awful compilation.

Well, the "new" rage is single cd best of's like, The Beatles, Elvis, Beach Boys, and Michael Jackson put out, even though they all had GH's compilations before. So it doesn't surprise me that U2 wanted a single CD best of.

What I don't get is how this was horrible for fans? I bought it, and got 2 new songs out of it. Nothing wrong with that.

The best thing about U218 was the live DVD from Milano! That alone was worth every cent. Best moments of Vertigo period.

The main problem with U2 18 "Singles" is that they should have used the actual single versions instead of the album version.

It would make a more interesting cd.

My 11 year old son loves it, he marvels that it's got all great songs on it, he loves *all* of it, that's so cool!

I figure the addition of "Saints..." was totally for that demographic, the young'n whose friends all love Green Day.
cheers all!

As far as I'm concerned, U218 was a best of put out to fulfill contractual obligations. Everything else about it is goddam lazy. A pathetic collection of songs, with only two from the 90s, and no WITS video on the DVD release.

Back
Top Bottom