Did U2 ruin Shadows and Tall Trees?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
For those of you who have heard the demo version of the song, as well as the album version, let me ask you this:

Did the band ruin the song when they revised it for "Boy?" The structure of the album version seems all disjointed, there is no flow to the song, and it's just so jarring. Whereas, the demo version had a LOT of potential. It was a pure rock n' roll song that played a lot on Edge's dark guitar. Bono's singing sure sounded much better and more passionate. And then there's the end of the album version, when the song suddenly just changes its key/pitch.....

I think ultimately the song suffered on "Boy" because it was overproduced. And it's a shame because I think had they left it alone, it would have been one of their classics from the 80's.

What do you all think?

i must be a filler fan or something because in the past 14 years of fandom I have never heard of this version of SATT.

YSI?

Yep it was waaay overproduced, but maybe that was mostly Steve Lillywhite's fault? The live version was amazing and it's a pity it didnt survive into the Boy tour.

Hoodlem said:
i must be a filler fan or something because in the past 14 years of fandom I have never heard of this version of SATT.

YSI?

I like the album version a bit better. Someone told Bono to pronounce it "oh" and not "ohhhhhhhwwwwwwwwwww".

E.g. "Ohwwwwwwww nohwwwwww, ohwwwwwwww ho ho nohwwwwwwww....." - Demo

ibran_av.gif
ibran_av.gif
ibran_av.gif

http://savefile.com/files.php?fid=8493896

"Shadows and Tall Trees" is probably my least favorite U2 album closer. I wish they stuck "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" or something at the end instead.

Hearing the demo actually makes me appreciate the album version more. It's much darker and more interesting. The demo sounds all distilled. The musical backdrop is so formless and generic. I'm glad they changed it up some.

That said, the two versions aren't really much different, aside from the extra Bono-isms near the end.

at first, i could ONLY listen to the demo version of SaTT, but then i got into the album version after i forced myself to listen to it. the album version is more polished and put together, but the drums on the demo version are KICKIN!

i acutally like Shadow and Tall Trees. It's not one of the better songs of BOY, but it's grown on me.

I like the Demo version for its rawness, Its more life like. The album version deffinitely was over produced. Bottom line - I prefer to listen to live versions of this song.

Back
Top Bottom