Did U2 play a secret Olympics gig??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camiloj

War Child
Just saw this on Launch.com (and added it to U2News):

After performances at the Super Bowl halftime show and for a private interest at the just-concluded Winter Olympics,

OK, so did anyone hear anything about U2 being in Salt Lake City?? What was that about?? INquiring BORED U2 fans waiting for Grammy Night want to know!!!

confused.gif

Okay.. for one thing, the Olympics aren't over. The closing ceremonies are still not done so it is not over.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything about a private gig except one was rumoured -- I didn't hear any details but people have said that it seemed to have fizzled out and nothing came from it.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

i never really heard of this coming to life, i just heard rumors...

------------------
-deathbear

I found this link.
http://www.undercover.com.au/20011229_u2.html

U2 wooed for Winter Olympics

U2 are being wooed by organisers of the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, to fill one of the five remaining slots in an all star line up after they heard the Irish supergroup are due in the city during the Games to perform at a private party.

Ten music acts are being invited including U2. 'N Sync, Creed, country duo Brooks & Dunn, Dave MatthewsBand, Foo Fighters, Barenaked Ladies, Sheryl Crow, Martina McBride, Smash Mouth and Marc Anthony are among the musical headliners who confirmed for perform public concerts at the Olympic Medals Plaza in February.

It's truly a great list of talent," said Scott Givens, director of the
Salt Lake Organizing Committee's creative team at a news conference Tuesday.

A different artist will perform each night from 09-24 February following medals ceremonies at the open-air plaza. Each act will perform for approximately an hour beginning about 9 pm.

Admission to the plaza, which holds 20,000 people is free, but spectators must have tickets.

"With these names this will be one of the biggest music festivals of 2002," Givens said.

Also due to perform at the Closing Ceremony are Christina Aguilera, Charlotte Church, Harry Connick Jr. and Bon Jovi.

By DJ Johnston DJJ Media

[This message has been edited by ABEL (edited 02-23-2002).]

From what I heard, they were playing at a private event in SLC. Sen. Orrin Hatch was going to be there, but I'm not sure what event it actually was. I tried to get someone to find out for me, but he failed his mission.
mad.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge

Hmm, so seems U2 was indeed playing a private gig in SLC. Seems to be a very private thing if us internet obsessed fans dont even know, although as I trusted, some of you were able to sleuth some info out!

Originally posted by Elvis:
Some people know more than they can say.

But can you say that this is the sort of party where I have to learn to play hockey or take up the skeleton to get into it?
smile.gif

------------------
Dearer to me than the evening star
A Packard car
A Hershey bar
Or a bride in her rich adorning
Dearer that any of these by far
Is to lie in bed in the morning

Jean Kerr -- Please Don't Eat the Daisies

well the good news is that the secret Olympic gig was not the closing ceremony. Gloria Estefan again? Bon Jovi? Christina Aquilera? blech! can any of you that live in places like Norway or Australia tell us how weird the world thinks we are after seeing Kiss perform?

Originally posted by sharky:
can any of you that live in places like Norway or Australia tell us how weird the world thinks we are after seeing Kiss perform?

LMAO!!!
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom