Did U2 get influenced from David Bowie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I'm listening to "We Can Be Heros" by Bowie, and I can't help but think, that it sounds a lil bit like "With Or Without You"

Is Bowie one of U2's influences

I think he is. They grew up with his music, and Bowie is a good friend of the band (For gods sake, Bono were invited in his wedding!:ohmy: )

And there are some similarities. in the 70`s, Bowie created a stage character, Ziggy Stardust, that were "Playing" at the conserts. He have also had more characters (The thin white duke).

theeeeeeen there`s our own MacPhisto, Mirrorball man and The Fly...

Any resemblance? Oh, yeah!:rolleyes:

(and BTW, beeing a Bowie fan; The name of the song is "Heroes", not "We can be heroes":) )

well i know he at least influenced bono's fashion sense in the 80s...

when asked about his mullet, bono said he wore his hair like that because he thought it made him look like david bowie :huh:

the song cheree by suicide was in influence on U2 when they were writing with or without you.

Last edited:
Bowie is thanked in the credits to Achtung Baby...for inspiration..i think Bowie was more inspirational to them during the Achtung Era rather than beforehand.

Gavin Friday tells a story of how Bono would borrow his Bowie records and f them up with jelly and all other sorts of stuff when they were kids in the Bill Flanagan book.

lovebono said:
I think he is. They grew up with his music, and Bowie is a good friend of the band (For gods sake, Bono were invited in his wedding!:ohmy: )

And there are some similarities. in the 70`s, Bowie created a stage character, Ziggy Stardust, that were "Playing" at the conserts. He have also had more characters (The thin white duke).

theeeeeeen there`s our own MacPhisto, Mirrorball man and The Fly...

Any resemblance? Oh, yeah!:rolleyes:

(and BTW, beeing a Bowie fan; The name of the song is "Heroes", not "We can be heroes":) )

Pretty much everything I was going to say. Well put. "With or Without You" always reminded me of "Heroes," too. :sexywink:

And didn't Bowie have a mullet during the Diamond Dogs-era? I'm pretty sure he has a mullet on at least the Diamond Dogs cover. Could be wrong, though. :huh:

I would have thought that the latest U2 stuff is influenced by mid 80's Lets Dance era Bowie. Bowie has come to say he hated his music in that era and only made it to conquer the charts again. Sounds a bit like what U2 have done these past 2 albums!:wink:

Lancemc said:
Except U2 don't hate their last two albums.

:eyebrow:

Lets wait to see what they reckon in 10 years time. Might say what they say about Pop now, and wish they could re-record htdaab again.:wink: :wink: :wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Lets wait to see what they reckon in 10 years time. Might say what they say about Pop now, and wish they could re-record htdaab again.:wink: :wink: :wink:

Well, ten years from now, you look me up and we'll sit and discuss it over coffee and a muffin. ;)

lovebono said:

:laugh: When did Bowie ever have a mullet?!:coocoo:

Most of you would consider Ziggy Stardust's hair to be one.

Bono was by his own admission a huge Bowie fan as a teenager in the 70's. The reason they worked with Eno, and went to Hansa studios is because of Bowie!

XHendrix24 said:

Pretty much everything I was going to say. Well put. "With or Without You" always reminded me of "Heroes," too. :sexywink:

And didn't Bowie have a mullet during the Diamond Dogs-era? I'm pretty sure he has a mullet on at least the Diamond Dogs cover. Could be wrong, though. :huh:
Let's not forget the Eno Connection.

Who co-wrote and produced Heroes?

Who worked with U2 through their coming-out [into superstardom] years?

And who made Music For Airports, the undisputed greatest album of any genre on any plane of existance?

:wink:

David Bowie was a HUUUGGGGEEE influence to anyone listening to British music in the 70's and watching Top of the Pops etc.

(sure beats that American "rawk" that was inflicted on the world :madspit: The only decent thing that came out of America in the 70's was Springsteen :drool: )

Bowie was voted greatest artist of the last century, by readers and fellow musicians, in an NME poll.

I am, and always have been a massive fan of Bowie, but I have to say with the odd exception i've been disappointed by many of his albums since 1980's Scary Monsters, whereas with U2, except maybe half the songs on Pop, i've never been disappointed.
Yes, I think he was an influence, not just on U2, but many others, but . unfortunately his influence on the music world, was irrepairably damaged by the dross that was Lets Dance, Tonight, & Never Let Me Down, although he is still an awesome live performer, and his '70's back catalogue should always be explored by anyone interested in music

Canadiens1160 said:
Let's not forget the Eno Connection.

Who co-wrote and produced Heroes?

Who worked with U2 through their coming-out [into superstardom] years?

And who made Music For Airports, the undisputed greatest album of any genre on any plane of existance?

:wink:

This is true. "Zooropa" is almost like U2 telling Brian Eno "WE WANT AN ENO ALBUM, DAMNIT."

Which is probably why I equate it with the likes of Low (Bowie) and Remain in Light (Talking Heads).

I haven't checked out any Eno solo stuff, though. Anything good? :wink:

Get "Taking Tiger Mountain" RIGHT NOW. It's completely perfect from start to finish, better than any U2 album, and it's still pop music with catchy melodies (most of what Eno did solo isnt).

lovebono said:

:laugh: When did Bowie ever have a mullet?!:coocoo:

Maybe it was Bono´s attempt to be a rock chameleon.

The Mullet persona -- Looked like a German football supporter

Back
Top Bottom