Did St. Louis sell out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don'tknow. they didn't seat anyone behind the stage. There was a backdrop up to block all the empty seats...

------------------
~*Honey*~

The doors you open
I just can't close...

If you dream,
Dream out loud

So I guess we know what part of the US U2 isn't very big in. When U2's record didn't debut at #1 and has only sold 3 million copies in the United States I couldn't figure out why...now I guess I do. It would seem the Midwest isn't too big on our boys. Funny that this is the only part of the nation Creed has announced it is touring in.

Originally posted by ocu2fan:
So I guess we know what part of the US U2 isn't very big in. When U2's record didn't debut at #1 and has only sold 3 million copies in the United States I couldn't figure out why...now I guess I do. It would seem the Midwest isn't too big on our boys. Funny that this is the only part of the nation Creed has announced it is touring in.

That's not really a fair statement. As I recall, all of the Chicago shows, as well as shows in Detroit, Milwaukee and Notre Dame all sold out. I think the reason that the St. Louis show didn't sell out is simply that the market has reached saturation. All the people who only wanted to see them once got to see them and it's showing in ticket sales.

I also think it's kind of absurd that this show (or any U2 show) didn't sell out, but please don't degrade an entire region based on this very specific incident.

------------------
"I buy socks."
-Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink.

"The babes, the feast, and the toga conspire to give Adam the bearing of a Caesar (one of the late, inbred, lunatic Caesars, perhaps, but a Caesar nonetheless.)"
-Bill Flanagan, at an after-concert soiree with the band and Co.

"If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane."
-Adam, The Simpsons

Proud member of Larry's stick-keeper's association

Apart from Chicago (where U2 is huge), the Midwest (and especially the plains) are not big U2 havens. However, the Southeast is clearly U2's biggest weakspot. This was underscored by U2's show count (and ticket availibility) in these regions (i.e. why they're playing multiple nights in Providence and not coming within a few hundred miles of Birmingham, AL or Jackson MS).

I've noted a correlation to U2's popularity in the states/cities won by Al Gore in teh 2000 election - a lock on the entire Northeast, Chicago, and the far West Coast all vote Democrat and love U2.

No, no, no, you're all wrong.

U2's weakest spot is the Northwest - granted, you've only really got Portland, Seattle, Spokane, Boise and Vancouver B.C. to draw from, but it is still a huge chunk of the country.

We didn't even sell out our SINGLE Elevation shows in Seattle and Portland - I'm not sure about Vancouver though.

As far as popularity; U2 is NEVER played on the radio, at least in Seattle - Beautiful Day wasn't played until AFTER it won the Grammy's! I have never heard Stuck, Walk On was a rarity, and Elevation was so-so. The only station that plays U2 consistently is a mid-life crisis adult contemporary rock station.

I absolutely HATE IT, but that's just the way it is up here; as you can see we take the cake.

P.S. Hawkfire, Washington hasn't gone Republican in years, it is a very liberal area, especially Seattle, where all the people are - we even voted for DUKAKIS, and yet this is a very weak spot for U2.

In contrast, Phoenix and Salt Lake City are HUGE U2 havens, and both are extremely conservative...you can't find a more conservative metropolitan area than Salt Lake City.

Your correlation is nothing more than a relation between more people and more ticket sales...California and the East Coast are where the majority of Americans live!

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 11-30-2001).]

Actually Zoocoustic the entire 1st leg of the tour soldout according to boxscore. Tacoma was a slow seller but it officially did sellout. Vancouver was an instant sellout so that market is definately not weak. Sting2 can probebly give you the official atten. numbers.

I agree though U2's weakest market is the southeast. As someone who lived in Alabama at one point I understand why. More people are into country music more than rock music in most of the southeast.

I'am one of those that was upset at KC and St. Louis but I think there is a combination of reasons they sold poorly in relation to the rest of the tour (lump Tampa in here also). It isnt the biggest U2 market and that is definately a factor but I think given the proper time to sell and the proper promotion KC could have been a near sellout and St. Louis probebly would have soldout. Also the close proximity of St. Louis to KC plays a factor (although they sold both out on the Joshua Tree tour in 1987 and those shows were back to back) It was the quick announcement, poor promotion, and short turn around time between the announcement, ticket sales and the show that caused them to be the weakest sellers of the tour. I think these smaller markets need to be given time to sell properly and get the word out.

Nothing against the fans in those areas. They are no better or no worse of fans than any other area. There are just fewer of you in that area. Unfortunately as a result I think you will be traveling large distances to see U2 in the future as I dont think you will see them in the area again or you will only see 1 show in the area.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 11-30-2001).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom