Did shady faux Bono fool U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reptile347 said:
I still don't see what people are worked up about this guy.

I researched into him some and he never tells anyone he is Bono, Just let's people assume he is.

As far as I know Bono has no problem with this guy (correct me if I am wrong) and I read somewhere he was used as a double for a Bono magazine shoot to do sample photo's.

I am just trying to figure out why this guy makes everyone so upset? The only thing I have heard is he let's people think he is Bono but is there another reason not mentioned?

Long time no see, I think it was the last pavel thread we saw you in last!
Coincidence?

well, let me clarify this for you

your sentence is EXACTLY why people get worked up over this guy.... he lets them assume he's Bono.
People genuinely think they're meeting with their hero, and this guy lets them believe it for his own sake. He's nothing more than an ordinary attentionwhore taking advantage of people.

and we do not know what Bono's opinions on this guy are. and he has NO connection whatshowever, NONE AT ALL to U2.
He could NEVER be a double for Bono because HE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE BONO AT ALL.

for god's sake... LOOK AT HIM .... and dare to tell me you honestly think he looks like Bono... :huh:

Reptile347 said:
I still don't see what people are worked up about this guy.

I researched into him some and he never tells anyone he is Bono, Just let's people assume he is.

As far as I know Bono has no problem with this guy (correct me if I am wrong) and I read somewhere he was used as a double for a Bono magazine shoot to do sample photo's.

I am just trying to figure out why this guy makes everyone so upset? The only thing I have heard is he let's people think he is Bono but is there another reason not mentioned?

Trust me. There's plenty of evidence to make you steam.

First read this article here...it's the best proof of them all...

http://babyheisman.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-citys-sucker-for-bono.html

Also are you sure you read the following threads reply after reply, story after story? There's lots of proof here...

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=159146

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171461

And there was never a photo shoot. If you're thinking about the pic of him holding up the RS mag, that's just a homemade pic of him showing people how much he looks like Bono.....NOT!

Oh and an interesting note, after I emailed the guy that actually wrote the article on page 1 on this thread and telling him what Pavel's been doing, he wrote me back noting his strange antics and actually called Bono's people and asked if Pavel has ever been a problem. And he said that Bono's people didn't seem too concerned about Pavel. It might be that they are not aware of what he's been doing and it might be because Pavel has been laying low for several months...basically not getting caught...until now. He'll slip up again...he always does...I'm sure of it.

ramblin rose said:
Most of the stuff that happens with this guy doesn't bother me.

The only appearance that really ticked me off was when he went to Walter Reed hospital and posed for pictures with injured veterans who thought they were being visited by Bono. That's low.

THAT is exactly one of the reasons he's a scumbag.

Thanks Sicy! :happy: :drool:

Allegra said:

he wrote me back noting his strange antics and actually called Bono's people and asked if Pavel has ever been a problem. And he said that Bono's people didn't seem too concerned about Pavel.

Not doubting you at all Allegra, but this sounds like BS, and I do realize you are just repeating what you were told. One - you don't just 'call up Bono's people'. You can try to get in touch with PM, but I doubt they would even bother to get back to some random blogger. So maybe that is why he came to the conclusion that 'Bono's people' weren't concerned (ie - if they didn't get back, it could lead one to conclude that it likely wasn't on their radar of things to worry about). Secondly, I don't believe for one second that Bono doesn't know what the various impersonators and tributes are doing, especially the ones in the US. He's aware, believe me.

Last edited:
Aidan O'Leary said:
Hold on, are we not talking about Pavel Bure? Because if we are, I'm with Zoomerang96, he's fantastic.

i KNOW! absolutely brilliant.

this thread is an absolute riot. i've seen cats on the street that look more like bono.

there's loads of impersonators out there, big deal. if you get "steamed" about this, perhaps you should learn to channel your anger in other areas.

are you aware of climate change?

the exploitation of the poor in developing nations?

how about the fact that george bush is your president?

i could give you a few other reasons to be upset.

I just think he's scummy, but it's not like I lose sleep over it, it's just an opinion, an observation about him, no different from me thinking cockroaches are gross, but I'm not mad at them. Actually I like cockroaches more than I like him. :wink:

Dusty Bottoms said:
pleba girls went so over the top bashing this guy that talk of pavel is banned on this board. i find that hilarious.
What I find even funnier is that he got his knickers into such a twist over what we were saying about him.

Did he really think we were slandering him or is it because perhaps truth hurts? Did we hit a nerve?

Allegra said:
It might be that they are not aware of what he's been doing and it might be because Pavel has been laying low for several months

:hmm:

Or it might be that they recognize there are more important things to get worked up about than some scummy impersonator.

blueeyedgirl said:
I'm sure those who believe Pavel is Bono also believe they've been abducted by aliens and had an anal probe done.

I have an cousin who believed the army planted a radio in his teeth.* :)

I don't think he's ever met either Bono or Pavel.

*(He might still believe it -- I haven't seem him in a good decade or more.)

What gets me worked up about this situation, and this website in general, are the people that sit here and complain about the fact that this issue genuinely upsets people, and that the people who think that's ridiculous, FURTHER upset people by pointint out that since this upsets them they have no lives. The guy has no right to go around and fool average ordinary people who get excited because for once they believe they may have met someone that has more fame and fortune than they will likely ever see in their lifetimes. And they can deny it all they want, but I think that the people who say getting worked up over this is stupid, would be very angry if the guy fooled them too, because they "deserved it." It just seems to be the "cool" thing to do to go around on this website with an idea that you are better than everyone else on it, and make those who don't share your feelings feel inferior to yourselves.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

What I find even funnier is that he got his knickers into such a twist over what we were saying about him.

Did he really think we were slandering him or is it because perhaps truth hurts? Did we hit a nerve?
Yeah. There was no hysterical bashing. We just exposed him because we thought what he was doing was sleazy and wrong.

kafrun said:

Yeah. There was no hysterical bashing. We just exposed him because we thought what he was doing was sleazy and wrong.

Exactly! That's basically what I'm doing. Posting his quoted words, letting people know what a jerk he is and making sure his name gets around as a person that people shouldn't hire for gigs. If one person who knows about this guy tells a friend or a family member or a co-worker not to hire him because of what they read here, then I've done my job.

If he does make an appearance in the news again with a similar story, I will try my best to let PM know. Of course it's their business how they want to persue it from there. If they then don't care, at least I tried, and of course nothing further can be done.

And for Zoomerang96...

are you aware of climate change? YES

the exploitation of the poor in developing nations? YES

how about the fact that george bush is your president? YES

I'm also aware that big corporations like Wal-Mart are ruining this country and other countries abroad that involves all of the above. Are you?

So that you know, I don't eat, breathe, poop Pavel every day all day. It only takes a few minutes to make a few posts across the net to make my point.

We all have our own "nails on the chalkboard" subject matter so to speak. For me, this is just one of them.

What's wrong with pationately talking about a matter that involves duping innocent U2 fans?

If you had a good friend that came up to you that said they just met Bono, signed their U2 stuff, and took a picture with him, how would you handle the situation? Laugh at your friend? I hope not. Take it lightly or find the guy and ask him why he never told your friend he wasn't the real thing? Or simply deck his ass?

Put yourself in their shoes. Ask yourself, how would you feel if you just happened to pick up the news the next day and saw this article and found out it wasn't the real thing. Now that would be a pretty shitty feeling. Don't you think?

Allegra said:

If you had a good friend that came up to you that said they just met Bono, signed their U2 stuff, and took a picture with him, how would you handle the situation? Laugh at your friend? I hope not. Take it lightly or find the guy and ask him why he never told your friend he wasn't the real thing? Or simply deck his ass?

Put yourself in their shoes. Ask yourself, how would you feel if you just happened to pick up the news the next day and saw this article and found out it wasn't the real thing. Now that would be a pretty shitty feeling. Don't you think?

I know this wasn't asked of me, but I'm going to answer anyway. :)

Scenario 1 -- I'd say "Wow! That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you!" And I would be excited and happy for them (because they were happy and thrilled), even if I knew they hadn't really met the real Bono.

Then if the next day or so he/she saw in the paper or on the news that it wasn't really Bono he/she had seen I would commiserate appropriately, ie., "Oh what a fucking asshole!" :madspit:

Scenario 2 -- putting myself in the shoes of the person who got fooled -- Yeah I'd be embarrassed that I got fooled, but I would be much happier if my good friend had been very happy for and with me when I told her/him I met Bono now commiserated with me instead of made me feel life a complete fool right off the bat by telling me "of course that's not Bono in the pics you have!" and "oh my god, that is soooo NOT Bono -- how could anyone mistake him for Bono?" etc, etc. If my "good friend" made sure to tell me right off that I'd been duped I would feel he/she was more interested in proving how much he/she knows about Bono and his whereabouts than he/she was in my feelings.

A disclaimer/confession: an acquaintance emailed me once to say she had seen a musician I'm a big fan of -- she hadn't actually spoken to him, but she was really excited to tell me about it, mostly because she thought I would be excited. I knew he couldn't be where she had "seen" him (he was on a different continent) so I emailed her and told her this (gently I hope :yikes: ). I regret doing that. Why? Because I very possibly made her feel like an idiot. She wasn't a big fan and he isn't all that well known, so she'd never have realised that wasn't him. What harm would it have done for her to believe she had seen him? None. The fact is most normal people do not know where their favourite musician is at all times (even if it's someone as famous as Bono) so I now realise telling her she was duped was churlish of me and I wouldn't do it again.

Last edited:
I actually became interested in this guy after I heard he was unspeakable on this board so i was trying to figure out the story about why since it was previously hush hush.

I researched him a bit and it seemed he never told anyone he was Bono, Just let them assume.
I figure if people are so gullable to be fooled well then I don't feel sorry for them just because I can't understand how someone could mistake him as Bono as he does not look like him so much nor for the fact he had long hair when Bono had short.

Here is where I read about the Magazine Photo Shoot. Its from his myspace. Don't know if its true or not.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...n=B7978273-1497-4B00-B4BEB5CBAD9520FB49410948

Galeongirl said:

Long time no see, I think it was the last pavel thread we saw you in last!
Coincidence?

well, let me clarify this for you

your sentence is EXACTLY why people get worked up over this guy.... he lets them assume he's Bono.
People genuinely think they're meeting with their hero, and this guy lets them believe it for his own sake. He's nothing more than an ordinary attentionwhore taking advantage of people.

and we do not know what Bono's opinions on this guy are. and he has NO connection whatshowever, NONE AT ALL to U2.
He could NEVER be a double for Bono because HE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE BONO AT ALL.

for god's sake... LOOK AT HIM .... and dare to tell me you honestly think he looks like Bono... :huh:

Well there's a huge glaring lie in that myspace post, it should be fairly obvious to anyone who's 'up' on Bono's habits.

So I think there is a fair amount of dishonesty going on, and that's what irks people most?

I think Indra's made some good points...in the end, if the odd casual fan comes away thinking they've 'met Bono', there's likely little harm in that. Makes my skin crawl, but hey everyone's different.

I think however showing up at an event, especially one associated with a cause or charity, and not doing one's best to ensure that everyone you meet is 'in on the joke', well it is a bit wrong, imo. And absolutely, unequivocally noone has any business signing U2 merchandise or photos other than the members of U2. :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom