Did Bono's vocals really deteriate or is he saving them? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Did Bono's vocals really deteriate or is he saving them?

After the Zoo TV, Bono had difficulty singing such songs as Pride, most noticably "April SKY" and Still Haven't Found, or could not reach the falsetto in One.

Zoo TV had Mysterious Ways, which featured a falsetto type of introduction and "Sees the man inside the CHILD"

But it seemed after that, he struggled with many songs. What happened to the high yelling, falsetto Bono that we came to know and love in the 80s?

Some say that he had surgery, others a voice coach. I wonder if he could sing like he has during the Joshua Tree... or if that would really strain his vocals?

Old 07-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
The Male

Local Time: 05:42 AM
He can hit all the notes on Miss Sarajevo live. And do it well.

Case closed.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 AM
The song that they play before U2 comes on stage is called "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Re: Did Bono's vocals really deteriate or is he saving them?

Wow these threads get old...

Quote:
Originally posted by theu2fly
After the Zoo TV, Bono had difficulty singing such songs as Pride, most noticably "April SKY" and Still Haven't Found, or could not reach the falsetto in One.
He's never been able to sing Pride, even on the UF tour...

Quote:
Originally posted by theu2fly
Zoo TV had Mysterious Ways, which featured a falsetto type of introduction and "Sees the man inside the CHILD"

But it seemed after that, he struggled with many songs. What happened to the high yelling, falsetto Bono that we came to know and love in the 80s?

Some say that he had surgery, others a voice coach. I wonder if he could sing like he has during the Joshua Tree... or if that would really strain his vocals?
Yes he had surgery. But Bono's singing was not that great during JT. It's extremely overated. Most of the high notes were hit using a falsetto, it's just not your typical falsetto; it's what many in here refer to as the "kermit voice". His singing on the last two tours, some legs better than others, has been the best of his career so far.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Being serious for a second, yeah, Bono was basically wrecking his voice during the latter part of JT and all of Lovetown. When you use your chest voice (the middle one, dear) to try and hit notes in the falsetto range, you're eventually going to hurt your voice (see latter day Robert Plant, current Axel Rose, etc).

Smoking and relentless touring doesn't help, either
Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #6
War Child

He's Bono...

His singing style is his own...my voice coach even comments his powerful voice to this day...

Sing a new song//
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

To do the relentless touring that he does, I think he saves his voice on some songs just to belt out others, because he still can belt out a song and still has an awsome voice.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
To do the relentless touring that he does, I think he saves his voice on some songs just to belt out others, because he still can belt out a song and still has an awsome voice.
This is a great point, one which I would endorse because hearing him in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarejevo is just awesome. I saw these guys a bunch of times on Vertigo Tour and to really heaar him hit those notes in Miss Sarejevo sent chills through me - I just didn't think he had it in him anymore.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

His voice has aged a little over the years, smoking, touring, changing it intentionally, etc. - it all adds up to a different sound.

The sound of his voice has changed over the years. Compare JT/LT to ZooTV ... very different (perfect example of JT - Rattle and Hum version of BTBS, first verse - while an exxageration of his general voice, he did that a lot). It just happens.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Refugee

If his voice didn't change I would be scared... Brcause it's not normal! Believe it or not he's just a man

Quote:
Originally posted by YBORCITYOBL

This is a great point, one which I would endorse because hearing him in SYCMIOYO and Miss Sarejevo is just awesome. I saw these guys a bunch of times on Vertigo Tour and to really heaar him hit those notes in Miss Sarejevo sent chills through me - I just didn't think he had it in him anymore.
I couldn't agree more. Specially Miss Sarajevo... it made me cry at the concert. I wasn't expecting it to be like that because I refused to listen to it before. They had already played it in some concerts and I knew about it but I just didn't want to listen to it... And what a surprise it was...
Old 07-19-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
Refugee

I think songs like 'Bullet The Blue Sky' would be better if Bono had that Kermit voice to it...
Old 07-19-2006, 04:54 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by annie_vox
If his voice didn't change I would be scared... Brcause it's not normal! Believe it or not he's just a man

I couldn't agree more. Specially Miss Sarajevo... it made me cry at the concert. I wasn't expecting it to be like that because I refused to listen to it before. They had already played it in some concerts and I knew about it but I just didn't want to listen to it... And what a surprise it was...
Yes.

Afterall, when Bob died he gave his voice to Bono...so the change is perfect.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:42 AM
You wouldn't think Bono was saving his vocals if you listened to the bootlegs from 1989-12-18, Amsterdam or 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. It's plainly obvious his voice was deteriorating.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #14
The Fly

Bono recently cut his hair.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

He's saving it in his back pocket...just waiting for the right time to use it...maybe he used it to record with Tony Bennett...then again, maybe not.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Acrobat

That old man U2Fly just keep trollin along.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:42 PM
I read a U2 album review that described Bono's voice as a "Lexus honk". Pretty funny.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Why would anyone want any singers voice to remain the same? Bono's voice has changed over the years due to a number of things and I've been a fan through it all. It wasn't until I heard Miss Sarajevo live this past tour that I knew he'd reached his perfection hitting and holding those incredible notes. I wish he would stop smoking so much. It makes his voice more raspy.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Bono's saving them for his scheduled cagematch against Chris Martin.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

His vocals in general are obviously deteriorating. I'm talking physically. He's abused his vocal chords so much I'm impressed he sings as well as he does. His technique has been steadily improving since post-PopMart Tour. He's singing with his chest and not his sinuses, thank God. Too bad all the smoking, drinking, and over-use of his vocal chords have already damaged his voice (although a lot of people like the raspiness).