Did Bono's vocals really deteriate or is he saving them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sue4u2 said:

So what you are saying is - this never happens to other artist at one time or another? and if so they should no longer sing or perform again if they don't sound the same every 5,10 or 20 years..

by all means lets rake Bono over the coals, now & Forever, for not being able to sound the way he did for the for this concert. :shocked:

He isn't human after all and should be better.

Under your requirements, U2 should call it quits .. and ... fade away because they make mistakes??

Sorry Axver, I just don't think you understand what you want and what you think U2 owes you..

He wasn't saying that at all.

He was just saying that Bono wasn't in top form during Popmart, and particularly that one show.

Axver said:

Like I said earlier, listen to 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. His voice is absolutely shot at that show.

He was ill that evening. A throat infection. They only decided to not cancel this concert because it was Sarajevo.

Although I agree that he had major problems during PopMart, using this show as an example is hardly fair.

U2Man said:

He was ill that evening. A throat infection. They only decided to not cancel this concert because it was Sarajevo.

Although I agree that he had major problems during PopMart, using this show as an example is hardly fair.

I was just replying to a post saying Bono's voice was great on Popmart, by saying that it wasn't always, and that show is a particularly infamous example. I was under the impression at least some of those poor vocals came from simply blowing his voice out over the course of the tour. I also think he was sounding quite tired by the end of the third leg.

And sue4u2, where the HELL did that rant come from? I have no idea where you got any of that utter nonsense from my post. All I do is point out a show that is famously known for poor vocals and suddenly I expect things from U2, want them to quit, and am raking Bono over the coals? That just makes no sense. Get a grip. :|

phillyfan26 said:
His voice has aged a little over the years, smoking, touring, changing it intentionally, etc. - it all adds up to a different sound.

The sound of his voice has changed over the years. Compare JT/LT to ZooTV ... very different (perfect example of JT - Rattle and Hum version of BTBS, first verse - while an exxageration of his general voice, he did that a lot). It just happens.

That first verse of "Bullet..." on R&H is a good example of that "kermit voice" people mention. I admit, when I first heard it, I even laughed. ;)

But when he uses it well, like on "One Tree Hill", his "kermit voice" flows naturally. A better term for the "kermit voice" is what I call an operatic voice (or perhaps, fake opera voice). When he sparingly uses it on songs, it works great. He hits the note without resorting to a screech, outwardly fake falsetto and yet his voice sounds full. But if overused, the voice just sounds fake. Bono has just the right mix.

These days, though, we rarely hear his "kermit voice" as he rarely sings in that style. It's either open throat or a more classic falsetto. I actually think he sounds better as a result.

I will say, for "Bomb" and the tour, I haven't heard Bono sound this good since AB. While he did have problems with the PopMart tour and with some of Elevation and even recording ATYCLB, his voice strength returned with HTDAAB and the tour.

doctorwho said:
I will say, for "Bomb" and the tour, I haven't heard Bono sound this good since AB. While he did have problems with the PopMart tour and with some of Elevation and even recording ATYCLB, his voice strength returned with HTDAAB and the tour.

Yeah, I agree with that. He's sounded his best since ZooTV - I think he seemed a bit hoarse on Elevation at times, but this tour's seen some great moments, especially with Miss Sarajevo.

Axver said:

Yeah, I agree with that. He's sounded his best since ZooTV - I think he seemed a bit hoarse on Elevation at times, but this tour's seen some great moments, especially with Miss Sarajevo.

Maybe Bono's correct in that his father is helping Bono's voice from "beyond the grave". :) That is, his returned vocal strength was his father's last gift. :heart:

hey peterrr, you can add Gloria which sounds amazing from countdown to finish to that list, and mysterious ways on the third leg was played HIGHER than the studio key! Also if you want to hear the high C in Bad from Boston, it's at the end of this second life video, of which the audio is all taken from boston dec. 4th. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mro9Qzv--k8&search=u2 sl

schnumi said:
I always wonder why people think he sounded so bad at the POPmart tour, i thought he was great.

Maybe im playing the wrong bootlegs but too me that was great, he was doing a lot more singing.

These days Bono really seems to be "saving" his voice, just sticking to the songs not really changing it.

But i also heard Vertigo bootlegs where he just sang like he did 10 years ago, for example the time he did Discotheque. Now that was something special.

I think it depends on the feeling they have in a gig.

He sings Discotheque a lot better and stronger with a higher key than the Popmart version. :)

Peterrrrr said:

He sings Discotheque a lot better and stronger with a higher key than the Popmart version. :)
Yep great performance, i wish they would do more pop stuff this tour.

And i know Bono's voice sometimes was bad during the POPmart tour. For example Sarajevo indeed.

But still i enjoy the sarajevo concert, Bono just sounds so raw i love it.

Bono is truly a unique performer we all know that...

Everyone talks about Vocal coaches/teachers like it's a bad thing...

Let me tell you, I'm in a band and If i didn't see my vocal teacher on a regular basis, I wouldn't be able to sing for 3-4 hours and get up the next day to do it all again... She really knows her shit!

Ergo, anyone who uses a coach or teacher to IMPROVE on their voice should be proud! Bono's only better for it...

Hell, look at Edge's singing at "Red Rocks" vs. the Johnny Cash Tribute or other shows... Vocal instruction rules//

Back
Top Bottom