Did Bono really say this to a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm.. Yeah, he did say that, no overdubbing or anything...there were all these people on youtube who didn't believe that the original video was real because the video/audio timing was way off so it appeared fake, until another guy made a video with two different camera angles and better synch, pretty much proving to the naysayers that it was in fact real...

I'm not quite sure what Bono was thinking...even if someone does have there phone out, and they're talking on it, who cares? What if it's a once in a lifetime experience for a fan and they want to share the moment with a friend and have them on the phone during their favorite song or whatever...or for any reason in the world haha...it shouldn't make any difference to Bono. There are many other fans at U2 shows that have their phones out at some point in the show, but Bono just can't see them :shrug: I dunno...but I think Bono reeeally overreacted here. And the girl was just taking pictures of him with her phone...Bono couldn't see that? It was a very odd thing to do and you would never expect it from him...very uncharacteristic.

Bono apologised later.

Personally talking on the phone/taking pics wouldn't be my priority at a show, especially front row spots, but anyway.

Bono apologised later.

Personally talking on the phone/taking pics wouldn't be my priority at a show, especially front row spots, but anyway.

Pay that much money for a spot and I think the person can enjoy the concert however they please as long as it doesn't interfere with others and I don't see how taking pictures with a cell phone does.

Rock and roll!

Anyway, yeah, he was being a bit of an asshole, but nobody is a saint... He did apologize afterwards.

I don't want to be mean or anything, but that sarcastic "Hey ma" comment is priceless.

I can't help but laugh because he wants fans to use their cell phone at concerts for some stuff, but then pitched a fit because one fan was taking pics with one. I think someone's undies must have been pinching that night. :lol:

My take on it is...Bono was in a round about way trying to say to put the effort into enjoying the show rather than trying to get a pic. I dont think he meant to offend

This video always seems to pop up. The incident has been discussed a lot around here. Obviously, Bono overreacted, he's human after all and this wasn't his day. Just a case of bad mood, I guess. Not okay to take this out on a fan, but we all make mistakes.

I don't know..... you get to see U2 and you spend maybe too much time hiding behind a camera phone instead of being in the moment? At least I imagine that that was what was going through his head.....????

It's Sunday Bloody Sunday, part of the 'heart of darkness' part of the set, which can no doubt get quite intense for Bono. He's stated often that he has to put himself completely into the 'character' of songs in order to sing it well. I can certainly see how he'd get frustrated by being deep in that angry moment of the song, and seeing nothing but cameras and cell phones everywhere.

Yeah, it was a little harsh and embarrassing for the fan, but shit happens. He apologized. It's over.

It could always be worse, he could be Tori Amos :wink::

YouTube - Tori Amos Code Red Live
Start at 2:25

"Get the fuck out of my show. It's a privilege to be in the front row. These are my seats and I give them to people that deserve them. Get the fuck out."

This video always seems to pop up. The incident has been discussed a lot around here. Obviously, Bono overreacted, he's human after all and this wasn't his day. Just a case of bad mood, I guess. Not okay to take this out on a fan, but we all make mistakes.

That just about sums it up. well put. maybe it was the week-long torrential rain in NYC that week. I went to two of the MSG shows that week, and they both seemed particularly "dark," raw and intense of course, but Bono seemed a bit impatient in general. Along these lines, I am always intrigued when the band shows its human side during shows. One of my favorites is when Adam jumps at the exploding money at the beginning of Daddy's Gonna Pay in Sydney and his glasses almost fall off. Classic.

Only take your phone out when bono tells you to..otherwise this is what you get.

Bono's been performing for what, almost 30 years and we have one incident where he "yells" at a fan, which he later apologized for?

OH NOES!!!

Luckily you aren't GnR fans, Axl beats up at least one fan before the encore... and that's if he shows up.

Apparently he's not allowed to be one of these and make a mistake, then?

Since I´ve been a U2 fan the care and good connection the band, mainly Bono, have with their fans is something that amazes me so much.
All human beings have bad days but the respect to a fan is essential in a show. I just think he caused a very bad moment for this fan and he/she did not deserve to hear something rude like that...
Put yourself in the place of that fan trying to get the best shot being so close to your idol ..!?
So, where is that Bono who stopped singing WOW (Paris JT) in order to keep fans OK ?
So, "where´s the love?" he´s been always asking for..?!
Only marketing ???! :eyebrow:

Since I´ve been a U2 fan the care and good connection the band, mainly Bono, have with their fans is something that amazes me so much.
All human beings have bad days but the respect to a fan is essential in a show. I just think he caused a very bad moment for this fan and he/she did not deserve to hear something rude like that...
Put yourself in the place of that fan trying to get the best shot being so close to your idol ..!?
So, where is that Bono who stopped singing WOW (Paris JT) in order to keep fans OK ?
So, "where´s the love?" he´s been always asking for..?!
Only marketing ???! :eyebrow:

Cool down the celebrity-worship volume. It's bad for the health.

The bottom line is.....the fans pay for the tickets and unless it is stated otherwise. You should be able to take pictures. I understand Bono is stressed/human, caught up in the moment, etc. But, to curse at the listener, who by the way is your bread and butter, is unprofessional in my opinion. This poor girl must have been embarrassed.

I went to a lot of rock concerts in the seventies/early eighties and never did any performer curse at someone in the audience. When, I saw David Bowie at the Capital Center, Largo Maryland. A young woman was trying to take photos and the stage security blocked her. David told them to let her pass. She walked up to the front of the stage and took several more pictures.

I'll bet there are about a million stories about Bono doing nice things for fans too. No one is giving the incident a :up:, he apologized, what more can he do about it? (Give us all free tickets? :hmm: )
Like people have already said, it doesn't make it right, but he is human. Time to move on!

:| I'm glad you're perfect. Maybe you should take his place. Can you hit the high C?

I´m NOT perfect and i´m very far from that and either Bono. I can´t even hit and A, B, .... :huh: If I were at a GnRs show, well...it´s part of Axl personality since he started being a leader singer and that´s no problem at all..
OK, I´ve got the point ..Next tour I´ll put a timer in my cell phone to know exactly WHEN I can take a picture of him or I´ll ask him: - "Bono, may I" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom