Did Bono really have an affair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

The Fly
Lawrence, KS ultraviolet_j since March 2001
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=3c2adc9b.1756735%40news.dingoblue.net.au&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26group%3Dalt.fan.u2

I hope this link works...anyway, I have been following the band for years and this one is new to me. Admittedly, I concentrate more on the music than the band members, but has anyone here ever heard this? Just curious, that is all.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

"New York" U2

[This message has been edited by Jayhawk (edited 12-27-2001).]

Yes, with Larry. But the Edge got jealous so they called it off.

------------------

you can try the best you can
you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

donno, but i heard some other outragous stuff; crazy stuff.... donno this one could be true, but it doesn't seem like Bono? anyone know?

------------------
--U2002revolution
(not-a-newbie)

U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Originally posted by U2ME3:
Yes, with Larry. But the Edge got jealous so they called it off.

HAHA! And little did we know, Adam was doing Edge the whole time!

------------------
New And Improved!

honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if bono's slept with other women. i mean, he got married so young. and he's one of the world's biggest rock stars- he has beautiful women throwing themselves at him all the time. and he certainly likes to party and drink.... nah, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

that being said, i don't think that makes him a "bad" person. he is human like the rest of us- even if he does act super-human a lot of the time. i'm sure that he adores his wife and children, and loves them with all his heart. but there are certain physical desires that are sometimes overpowering. i even have sometimes thought that perhaps he and ali have some sort of arrangement... who knows. and who really cares? if i found out that bono had slept with other women, it wouldn't change my opinion of him. in fact, it might help me to respect him even more; unlike most rock stars, he hasn't walked out on his wife/family for a beautiful young model. sex is mostly physical, anyway- it's the emotional stuff that's much more important.

When people don't know what the truth is they tend to make up their own.

That's how things like this get started.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I read a few times on this board that Bono spent a night away from Ali at the very early stage of their marriage (or was it even before they were married?)

Anyway, he came back later and the rest is history.
smile.gif

I don't know...i personally have never heard or seen anything to back up Bono's (or any other band member) affairs.

Having that said, it's possible Bono flirts innocently now and then. And he's only human, so i'm guessing he could have been tempted to do it at some point in the band's career - but i don't think it ever happened. Surely it would have been known.

Besides, i don't think he'd do that to Ali&the kids.
smile.gif

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-27-2001).]

i dont know if he has or has not cheated in his life but i can probably assume this...

marriage is not something you just do to have fun on a glorious day. invite friends family and the dog for a show-off of ones love and making perhaps the biggest promise of your life shouldnt be taken lightly. as someone else here once said, marriage is the ULTIMATE between two lovers, and for bono just to throw it away, i dunno, i really doubt it.

ally your post disturbs me for some reason.

------------------
-death bear

I don't think that he has. For some reason he seems to me to be a very trustworthy, and loyal person. I know that I don't really know him so that is just what I see as a fan.

I would like to belive that he hasn't. Part of Bono's appeal is the love that he has for his wife and children.

There have been many rumors of affairs with celebrities, but I have never read a concrete interview with someone who claimed to have slept with him. I think that if he had had affairs then women would sell the story to magazines and television shows. It happens all the time with other Rock Stars, Athletes, and Actors. Why not Bono???

I know that songs have been written about infidility, but they have also written songs about War, without ever going, and about Death, without ever dying.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

marriage is not something you just do to have fun on a glorious day. invite friends family and the dog for a show-off of ones love and making perhaps the biggest promise of your life shouldnt be taken lightly. as someone else here once said, marriage is the ULTIMATE between two lovers, and for bono just to throw it away, i dunno, i really doubt it.

judging by the amount of children has created with ally, i think he saves up all his pent up sexual frustration for when he gets off tour and comes home.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Seriously though, a subject like this is none of our business.

------------------
New And Improved!

I had heard something about the video for sweetest thing being dedicated to Ali as an appology for an affair, wiht the whole 'im sorry' and shite going on in the background, but perhaps that was just one of my friends speculating... I honestly dont know.

Originally posted by mikal:
Seriously though, a subject like this is none of our business.

how many other subjects could fall under this category?

------------------
-death bear

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
I had heard something about the video for sweetest thing being dedicated to Ali as an appology for an affair, wiht the whole 'im sorry' and shite going on in the background, but perhaps that was just one of my friends speculating... I honestly dont know.

Actually, the Sweetest Thing is about Bono missing Ali's birthday.

------------------
New And Improved!

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:

this is a prime example of "no one knows the truth so they make up their own"

------------------

how many other subjects could fall under this category?

I'm sure a couple of others could. But should we really be speculating about someone else's marriage like this? I don't know, it just seems like an invasion of privacy to me.

------------------
New And Improved!

I read somewhere that 25% of married couples have ended up in an affair somewhere down the road...

That's sad! I couldn't believe it when I read that... I agree with what deathbear said about the sanctity of marriage, and also find that it is of no use to speculate over this, because in the end it shouldn't matter to us... that's personal marriage related business which we have no knowledge of really.

Originally posted by U2girl:
I read a few times on this board that Bono spent a night away from Ali at the very early stage of their marriage (or was it even before they were married?)

Anyway, he came back later and the rest is history.
smile.gif

Mind you, this is probably just some rumour, i don't know if it's true.

Mikal: true, but is it any of the tabloids' business? They're the ones who keep coming up with stories.
Unlike them, we're just talking (since Bono's a celebrity, his private life gets analyzed) and not making up stories.

It's not our business, but then again, it's not like we know anything anyway. We're just speculating, and taking wild guesses. What's the harm of that?

Originally posted by U2girl:
Mind you, this is probably just some rumour, i don't know if it's true.

Mikal: true, but is it any of the tabloids business? They're the ones who keep coming up with stories.
Unlike them, we're just talking (since Bono's a celebrity, his private life gets analyzed) and not making up stories.

I don't care who makes up the stories. I just don't think this is a subject that should be discussed. Don't mind me though. It's just my opinion.

------------------
New And Improved!

Originally posted by mikal:
I just don't think this is a subject that should be discussed.

Well, i'm not saying i have a tremendous desire to read about U2's private life (i couldn't care less, really), but if the subject comes up (and it did), i state my opinion.

After all, can one really avoid these type of subjects on a U2 fan forum?

The singer in the rock band gets the spotlight and always lots of "hints" about his affairs.

Whether it's true or not is a different matter.

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
And so does mikal! Oh wow! you are both agreeing to state your opinion! You have something in common after all!!!

wink.gif

HAHA! Bebe, we should drink together sometime. LOL.

u2girl, I'll leave our conversation where it is. I've learned that arguing with you gets me nowhere. So I'm out.
smile.gif

------------------
New And Improved!

ally your post disturbs me for some reason.

sorry for disturbing you... i guess i should've thought twice about questioning bono's fidelity on a U2 board!
smile.gif

i don't know, i guess i just don't subscribe to that whole "bono is a god and can do no wrong" school of thought. or maybe i just have a more cynical view of love/marriage/sex/rock stars. perhaps it has to do with what i've encountered- i work at a corporate law firm, where most of the attorneys are men in their 30s/40s (not very sexy, to say the least). and quite a few of these guys have cheated on their wives- with people who work at my firm. if boring lawyers can't even remain faithful, imagine how difficult it must be for a rock star. (then again, attorneys are the scum of the earth, so it really shouldn't come as a surprise that they've cheated!)

in the end, none of us knows what has happened between bono and ali, and we probably never will. all that really matters is that they seem to be very happy and very much in love.

honestly, i apologize for speculating about bono's fidelity. and i'm sorry if my post upset you, death bear.

Originally posted by Achtung_Bebe:
And so does mikal! Oh wow! you are both agreeing to state your opinion! You have something in common after all!!!

wink.gif

You know, this has happened before...

Mikal: there's no argument. Everyone's just talking.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom