Did anyone ever see U2 when they first started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Do we have anyone on this board who saw U2 when they FIRST came to the US...i'm talking Boy through October here...when they played small clubs or arenas...I wanna hear the experiences

My sister saw them on the Boy tour. Bitch. :mad: (she wasn't even a fan)

She said they were really good.

A mate of mine (UK) has seen U2 live on every tour they have done since Boy. He saw them at Live Aid (Wembley) & Conspiracy of Hope in the US too. Major fan.

I missed seeing them play on the October tour at Rock City Nottingham, (a great venue for smaller gigs). Some friends went but I was short of cash and hadn't really heard of them then :reject: so didn't bother going. Big mistake. I did see them on the War tour though.

Since I had no money and only 14 I tried to get into a club they were playing at 15 minutes away from where I live. The bouncers at the door wouldn't let me in no matter how I pleaded. I just listened to the thumping from outside in the cold December rain!

When I was older I saw Joshua Tree twice.

A friend of mine saw them in Tallahassee, FL in 1981 when they were opening for the J. Geils Band. He said no one was paying attention to them when they first started playing, but by the time their short set was over, everyone was totally into them.

Also, he claims he saw them at a McDonalds after the show. Said no one even knew who they were.

martha said:
My sister-in-law says that we saw them at the Palladium in Hollywood around October. I only remember the opening act, Romeo Void. :shrug: And I wasn't even high.

hah, i downloaded that show off u2start.com last week.

I know U2 played in february 1981 at a place that was about 100 meters from my elderly home. At that moment I was only 15 months old. :(

blueeyedgirl said:

Ouch, that's gotta hurt! :madspit:

Luckily I didn't know it at the time or I would have been sitting at home pouting. She told me almost as an aside a few years later. I was like "waaahhhh!!!" :sad:

I saw them on the War tour

oh wait did I just kinda "date" myself? I was like 4 when I saw them :shifty:

I used to work with a guy that went to see the War Tour when he was in college. He didn't really know who they were at the time but the energy at the show was enough for him to go out the next day and buy their albums. He's still a huge fan to this day and has seen them in concert at least once on every tour since War.

Back
Top Bottom