did anyone actually read what bono said regarding new music in the "bono..Oprah mag"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
did anyone actually read what bono said regarding new music in the "bono..Oprah mag"?

i read it at my moms last weekend and what he said worried me greatly.

this isnt verbatim but he said " we are going to record poppier songs in the future to stay safe and in the publics consciousness."

i really hope the new album isnt another weak record.

i dont know if they can affford nor do i want another cream- puff album!!!!!!!!!:mad:

It's from an Oprah mag in an Oprah interview. That really says it all. You wouldn't catch him telling Oprah "we're going to continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream," would you?

:applaud:, Axver!

That article, while good, has very little (if anything) to do with music, anyway. And what Oprah did ask him about music was, from a musically standpoint, pretty boring, with the standard questions, like "How do you right songs?".
And the quote is:

What I like about pop music, and why I'm still attracted to it, is that in the end it becomes our folk music...The great music for so many artists-The Beatles, the Rolling Stones-was always at the moment when they were closest to pop. It would easy for U2 to go off and have a concept album, but I want us to stay in the pop fray.

I still think Axver said it best.

Last edited:
Re: did anyone actually read what bono said regarding new music in the "bono..Oprah m

t8thgr8 said:

this isnt verbatim but he said " we are going to record poppier songs in the future to stay safe and in the publics consciousness."

I think that was joke. :|

t8thgr8 i hear what you are saying.
when i first read that oprah mag comment, it made me cringe a bit.
but bono also has a "thing" abot reclaiming the word pop.
i mean, to him, the beatles and the stones were pop.
and i do think he wants u2 to have songs like those that everybody that hears the song, u2nut or not, will be able to sing along and just unconsciously know the words or they'll know the guitar riff or whatever.
if pop means popular, then i guess u2 are pop.

In other words this new album will be very similar to ATYCLB and why wouldn't they make it similar to it ? It's the most successful album for them since AB so they're going to stick to what works.

Pop music means popular music. I think people forget that sometimes. It really can cover a wide range of sound. For some reason many are quick to associate it with only one or two kinds of musical taste...

I think it's a regional 'translation' of the word. 'Pop' in Europe doesn't mean the same thing as it means in the US (ie Brittney Spears). Of course, one can only hope...

Poop on the other hand...

The word Bono on that Oprah mag caught my I from halfway across the store...I had a quick look but I felt pretty embarrased about reading a magazine about Oprah in a public place...

The Sage said:
The word Bono on that Oprah mag caught my I from halfway across the store...I had a quick look but I felt pretty embarrased about reading a magazine about Oprah in a public place...

I actually bought it.:reject:

Back
Top Bottom