Devastating news about the new cd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just heard the DJ on my very-U2 oriented radio station say that what U2 is working on now is bonus tracks for best of, and there will be no new album for a very long time. Please someone say it ain't so!!!

Don't listen to what they are saying. It's true they are working on bonus tracks but there have been so many conflicting reports about when the new album comes out. It will be here before you know it.

Originally posted by Shine * Like* Stars*:
I wish that were true, but I keep finding evidence of no album and it worries me. Read this:
http://www.vh1.com/news/stories/1453263.jhtml

I do think we'll see a new GHits album first, but this does NOT mean no new album for a "very long time" either. My guess is a new album in 2003 holiday (I'd be surprised, but not stunned if it came out in 2004).

I heard something about the Best of 1990-2000 having one disco of greatest hits and a second disc of completely new material. Remember when Michael Jackson did this with his History album? That kinda of what it sounds like.
For those of you that thought the second disc would be compiled of B-Sides, the report I read said that since U2 wasn't as productive during the 90's, there weren't enough B-Sides to quanitify a "Best of...B-Sides".

1. Adam has said that they are recording a new album.

2. VH1 as a news source? Ummm, I would hardly get my panties in a bundle over something they've reported. Not hard news to be sure.

People, people, people...What good is worrying going to do us? I wouldn't assume a thing until we hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

U2 have plenty of B-sides to put on an extra disc for 90-2000. My hope is that they don't include ATYCLB singles on it. that would be a shame. I want that included in a 2000-2010 Best of.

Originally posted by ultraviolet353:
A greatest hits disc would be the "safe" thing to do. IMO, the "safe" thing is always the wrong thing.

Like having "safe sex" or weating a "safety seatbelt." Those things are safe and clearly they are the wrong things to do.
icon16.gif

*snicker*
biggrin.gif

While I also feel thatU2 should release a new album now, while they are still "hot" - they simply might not have the new material ready. So rather than wait 2 more years before they finally come out with a new disk, I think it's a good idea to release the second "Greatest Hits" album. This keeps U2 on everyones' minds and allows for some snippets of new U2 material, without bombarding the world with another new album and tour. Then, just as the Greatest Hits album starts to fade, U2 can come out with their next new studio album.

Plus, don't forget, U2 are under contract for those Greatest Hits albums - and there may be some pressure for them to release that album now (after all, the last one was released almost 4 years ago).

Therefore, I don't really think of this move as "safe" at all, but rather ingenious marketing that also gives U2 more time to record the new album.

I believe the rumor that there will not be a disc of '90s B-sides.
However, to say there's not enough B-side output from that era is simply not true:

1. Night and Day (original Red Hot + Blue mix)
2. Alex Descends
3. Lady With the Spinning Head
4. Where Did It All Go Wrong
5. Salome
6. Satellite of Love
7. Paint It Black
8. Fortunate Son
9. Slow Dancing
10. Hold Me Thrill Me
11. Holy Joe
12. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
13. North and South of the River
14. Two Shots of Happy
15. I'm Not Your Baby

And if that's not enough, you could stretch the definition and add the following:

Can't Help Falling in Love
I've Got You Under My Skin
Halleliuah
In the Name of the Father
Mission: Impossible

Plus, of course, the Soul Assassins remix of "Numb" as a hidden track. (naturally.)

[This message has been edited by MixingBliss (edited 05-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MixingBliss (edited 05-25-2002).]

Ahem. Think again, Mixy.

Last time I checked, "Hold Me Thrill Me" and "Not Your Baby" were from *soundtracks*, not B-sides. Dumbass.

[Mixy waves hand dismissively]
"Details, details."

:idea: I think that they are working on both of the albums, but I do think that GH's will come first then new album will come next spring or summer:lemon:

MixingBliss said:
Last time I checked, "Hold Me Thrill Me" and "Not Your Baby" were from *soundtracks*, not B-sides. Dumbass.

no worries. hmtmkmkm could be included on disc one. even if you exclude those two (and i think the latter was a b-side for something once?) there'd still be plenty of room for other stuff. :)

actually, I thought Hold Me Thrill Me and Not My Baby were also included as B-sides on something. And at this point, there released fewer B-sides in the 90's than the 80's so why not add them to fill up the second CD?

Actually the studio version of Hold Me was never a b side. I believe a live version from Mexico City was on a limited edition import single but I cant remember which.

I'm Not Your Baby was not a B side. The "Skysplitter Dub Mix" which was a instrumental remix of the song was a B side on one of the Last Night On Earth singles. But the studio vocal version was never a b side either.

i'm much more interested in a new album then the best of stuff. personally i hope they make a "guitar" album. it would so fresh since they never did anything like that before.........we'll have to wait to see.

I say, as before, new album, 2004

whats wrong with them goin away for a while anyway!

:)

keeps us on our toes......keeps them home.....keeps me passin Bono's Summerhouse so that I may see him drink coffee with a white robe on and bed hair. ;)

Originally posted by mad1
.....keeps me passin Bono's Summerhouse so that I may see him drink coffee with a white robe on and bed hair. ;)

:drool: :sick: :heart: :bono:

Thanks for the mental image Maddie!!! My day just got 110% better.

We could drive ourselves crazy with speculation of when a new album, (which will be followed by a tour), will be released. Though if you look at the presidence already set, it's typically a 40-5 year stretch between tours. At least large, international tours. ie: Joshua Tree 1987, Zoo TV 1992, PopMart 1997, Elevation 2001. Therefore, my gut tells me that an album for touring will come about sometime during the end of 2004...and, boy, I hope I'm WRONG! The "Best of Ablum" I think will be released obviously sooner. Also, I had read, long ago, that the band signed a 6 album commitment after ATYCLB. That means, if you include the up-and-coming "Best of" ablum, they would have one left to do. Since. ATYCLB, they've released Zooropa, Pop, Best of 1980-1990, ATYCLB. Then there's the new Best of Ablum, which will make 5. Plus, they're NOT going to release anything they don't feel is as good, if not better than, ATYCLB. So, my gut's telling me 2004 NEW ablum, 2005 new tour. Pure speculation is all this is though. So keep that in mind. And, again, I hope my gut feeling is wrong.

Well, if there's anything predictable about U2, it's that they're unpredictable. :lol: No doubt they are making "bonus" tracks for the best of thing but hey, those should be interesting. Then for a new album, well, we'll probably get it before long because they're on a roll after the Elevation tour.

They've been in the studio, but we all know how they like to take their time. The rumor is that another Best of will be out later this year. A new album? Holy smokes. That could be awhile. The only predictable thing is that they are going to do it. When? No one knows. At this point the band themselves probably don't know. :lol: :lol: :laugh: :cool: :laugh:

new album: september 2002
tour commencing: october 2002 (show opening with "october")

a boy can dream, can't he?:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom