destiny's child flunks music history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharky

New Yorker
Got this from an article about Destin'y Child taking some time off to do solo work:

"When asked when they would regroup, Kelly Rowland says there's no real timetable. "You know how the Beatles broke off, they all did their solo projects and they came back together and they were even stronger." (That's not quite how it worked, Kelly, but we get the idea.)"

Ok, kids, for those of you who don't know, The Beatles never did this. They broke up, then did solo projects. I think Kelly was refering to Bon Jovi back in the early 90's. Remember when Jon Bon Jovi went off and did his solo work for the movie Young Guns II?

------------------
"Things will not be the same in this city for us." -Bono, Dublin, February 1980

icon13.gif

Blah I did my thumbs smiley the wrong way. I must be tired.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by LuvLady (edited 12-05-2001).]

what an idiot. and kelly isn't even the dumb one, michelle is.

------------------
"Revolution starts at home, in your heart, in your refusal to compromise your beliefs and your values." - Bono

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

You hurt yourself, you hurt your lover, then you discover what you thought was freedom is just greed...

Originally posted by madonna's child:
what an idiot. and kelly isn't even the dumb one, michelle is.

Hey! Watch what you say about Michelle! If I have one weakness, it's Destiny's Child. No, I don't have any albums, but I do like their songs. And Michelle is hot!

That said, the quote is indeed dumb. So I think that Kelly is the dumb DC.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Well if i remember correctly, i read that apparently John Lennon had been playing with Ono plastic band (including Yoko and other people)as early as 1969, and Beatles officially broke up later (1970 or was it 1971?).
Also, the "Give peace a chance" single was recorded in 1969. And we all know it wasn't a Beatles thing.

Beatles were recording "Abbey Road" in 1969.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-05-2001).]

Depends what Destiny's Child was referring to (not that i wanna go out of my way to defend they're sucky music...sorry Bono). If they were referring to the final break-up of 1970 (probably), then they're, surprise surprise, out to lunch.

Though after the Beatles stopped touring in 1966, some of them did go on sort-of-solo projects. John went to make a movie (How I Won the War), Paul did a soundtrack for some British Movie, George went to India to learn more Sitar with Ravi Shankar, and Ringo...well, Ringo just partied, but they all came back to do Sgt. Pepper. Also, George's "Wonderwall" solo soundtrack album was done in 1968, at least a couple years before they officially split. And U2girl is right about John and Yoko, I believe they did a couple albums of alternative music (stuff that resembled Revolution #9 off the White Album) before 1970 (not to mention the 1969 Concert for Peace in Toronto with Eric Clapton as the guitarist for the Plastic Ono Band). Strictly speaking though, in John's mind the Beatles were done after they recorded Abbey Road in '69.

I'm pretty sick of Destiny's Child as a group... now they are doing solo work! OH GOODY!
icon15.gif

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

The Beatles *did* get back together.

For the 1995 (?) Anthology singles, that is, and of course one of them was dead at the time.

I liked "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love," but they can't hold a candle to the Beatles' work proper.

Originally posted by SweetOnU2:
I'm pretty sick of Destiny's Child as a group... now they are doing solo work! OH GOODY!
icon15.gif

3 times the fun...

*UFF cheers... quickly followed by mass amounts of self-impaling and ear destruction - to avoid all the DCish crapulence*

In some ways, the most disturbing thing about this is that they're implicitly comparing themselves to the Beatles.

But hey, Bono frequently expresses admiration for Destiny's Child, and Bono can do/say no wrong, right? So we should all love them!

rolleyes.gif

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

But hey, Bono frequently expresses admiration for Destiny's Child, and Bono can do/say no wrong, right? So we should all love them!

rolleyes.gif

Oh dear!

Originally posted by Judah:
Depends what Destiny's Child was referring to (not that i wanna go out of my way to defend they're sucky music...sorry Bono). If they were referring to the final break-up of 1970 (probably), then they're, surprise surprise, out to lunch.

Though after the Beatles stopped touring in 1966, some of them did go on sort-of-solo projects. John went to make a movie (How I Won the War), Paul did a soundtrack for some British Movie, George went to India to learn more Sitar with Ravi Shankar, and Ringo...well, Ringo just partied, but they all came back to do Sgt. Pepper. Also, George's "Wonderwall" solo soundtrack album was done in 1968, at least a couple years before they officially split. And U2girl is right about John and Yoko, I believe they did a couple albums of alternative music (stuff that resembled Revolution #9 off the White Album) before 1970 (not to mention the 1969 Concert for Peace in Toronto with Eric Clapton as the guitarist for the Plastic Ono Band). Strictly speaking though, in John's mind the Beatles were done after they recorded Abbey Road in '69.

That would be assuming that DC was smart enough to know that and really, they aren't that smart.

And Bono may like them but if the Pope isn't infallible than neither is the B-Man. Did you ever see the ruffle shirt in 1980. what was he thinking? I mean, grated, it would be something DC would wear now but that's because Beyonce's mom designs all the clothes.

Back
Top Bottom