Deep In The Heart Appreciation - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
An Cat Gav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohm Sweet Ohm
Posts: 4,139
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Deep In The Heart Appreciation

DEEP IN THE HEART!



It says something for the creative period U2 were in 86-87 that a song as good as this was not only demoted to b-side for The Joshua Tree, but it was also not considered good enough for the b-side of their 19801-1990 G Hits.

Starting with one of their best intros to a track(similat to bullet the blue sky) this track meanders into a gruelling, industrial ode to the dark underbelly of love, like most of The Joshua Tree. Featuring a great performance from all 4 of the boys, this track is one of my fave b-sides. I am frankly flabbergasted that the band ignored it in such a revisonist manner for the b-sides1980-90 ghits. It is clearly better than most of the featured cover versions!

Deep in the heart, a somewhat forgotten gem, and should be considerd up there with Walk to the water, silver and gold and spanish eyes in the canon of great U2 b-sides.
__________________

An Cat Gav is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Al back ya on this Gav. We share very simmilar views on u2's recordings as you probably realised over your time on here.
__________________

gman is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Re: Deep In The Heart Appreciation

Quote:
Originally posted by An Cat Gav
DEEP IN THE HEART!



It says something for the creative period U2 were in 86-87 that a song as good as this was not only demoted to b-side for The Joshua Tree, but it was also not considered good enough for the b-side of their 19801-1990 G Hits.

Starting with one of their best intros to a track(similat to bullet the blue sky) this track meanders into a gruelling, industrial ode to the dark underbelly of love, like most of The Joshua Tree. Featuring a great performance from all 4 of the boys, this track is one of my fave b-sides. I am frankly flabbergasted that the band ignored it in such a revisonist manner for the b-sides1980-90 ghits. It is clearly better than most of the featured cover versions!

Deep in the heart, a somewhat forgotten gem, and should be considerd up there with Walk to the water, silver and gold and spanish eyes in the canon of great U2 b-sides.
Deep In The Heart is one of the best songs U2 ever made. Those 80's b-sides are a thousand times better then the singles of most artists.
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Yer not wrong screwtape!!
gman is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
Refugee
 
Zooropa man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,252
Local Time: 01:17 PM
I agree with all of you. This is an amazing song. When I listen to it, it makes me feel like I'm in the middle of Lake Powell on a house boat. It's quiet but the soothing melody of this track brings back memories when I was there. Perfect song to go with imagery. Open skies, red rocks, a sea of water... I love the middle section of the song too where it kinda stops and all you hear is Larry's beat. Defenitely one of my fav's and yes, it belongs there with Walk to the Water.
Zooropa man is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 11:17 PM
Re: Re: Deep In The Heart Appreciation

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
Deep In The Heart is one of the best songs U2 ever made.
Yup!
Zoots is offline  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 10,429
Local Time: 02:17 PM
I love the music to it. It's like a poem put to ambient music. I wish they would have remastered it and put it on the original B-Sides cd for the first Best Of. But I read they didn't have a good version of it?

Despite that, at least I have it on vinyl.

Sounds way good.
david is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
asr
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 396
Local Time: 09:17 PM
It Should Have been On Rattle and Hum as well as the other JT outtakes instead of the live stuff.
asr is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 02:21 AM   #9
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,155
Local Time: 08:17 AM
Wonderful song.
AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 10:17 AM
I love it.

+Race Against Time. There's a track that could have been on any of their 90s albums.
coolian2 is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by asr
It Should Have been On Rattle and Hum as well as the other JT outtakes instead of the live stuff.
Could you imagine that? Look at the pool of songs that Rattle & Hum could have been composed of.

1. Walk To The Water
2. Deep In The Heart
3. Race Against Time
4. Luminous Times
5. Spanish Eyes
6. Sweetest Thing
7. Silver Gold
8. Van Diemen's Land
9. Desire
10. Hawkmoon 269
11. Angel Of Harlem
12. Love Rescue Me
13. When Love Comes To Town
14. Heartland
15. God Part 2
16. All I Want Is You
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
The Fly
 
BoyStupidBoy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 70
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Always been one of my favorites.
BoyStupidBoy88 is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #13
Acrobat
 
pat132's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 349
Local Time: 05:17 PM
One of my favorites b-sides. Proves that the best is not always in the albums

I love this Unforgettable Fire-like ambient guitar sound (because I love the UF album)
__________________

pat132 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×