Declined Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Folks , months ago , I read in wikipedia about a movie , in which the director which was a u2 fan wanted to use a song in the movie , but u2 didn't agree coz of the theme/kind of movie it was , I just can't remember which movie was it . Does anyone know what movie is or might be ?

J_NP said:
Folks , months ago , I read in wikipedia about a movie , in which the director which was a u2 fan wanted to use a song in the movie , but u2 didn't agree coz of the theme/kind of movie it was , I just can't remember which movie was it . Does anyone know what movie is or might be ?
Might it have been Donnie Darko? I know that originally they wanted MLK to play over the end of the movie, but they couldn't obtain the rights to the song, so they used Gary Jules' cover of Mad World (originally by Tears for Fears). It's an odd thing to think about, but had the movie ended with MLK instead, the emotional impact of the ending would've been entirely different.

I haven't heard that, but it seems strange, I don't think it would have fit at all.

Plus that song did a lot to promote the film and Gary Jules, so they ended up with a much better choice.

U2 has made some very dodgy choices with their songs in movies, I would be suprised if this story is really true.

No , it's not Darko , either if you go to IMDB or wikipedia on the page of the movie , in the Trivia area , has the saying :

Director fan wanted u2 song .......... but the band declined ....

J_NP said:
No , it's not Darko , either if you go to IMDB or wikipedia on the page of the movie , in the Trivia area , has the saying :

Director fan wanted u2 song .......... but the band declined ....

As the other poster said above:

Richard Kelly's original choice for the music to be played over the final sequence was U2's "MLK." After difficulties obtaining the rights to the song, it was decided to use Gary Jules' cover of the Tears for Fears song "Mad World" instead.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0246578/trivia

There you go, Champ.

Donnie Darko is fantabulous. Seriously, do yourself a favour and go and see it.

And I agree with Ms Purrrl - WTF is probably the most common reaction at the end of the movie.

I love Donnie Darko and everyone should try to watch it though I think most people wouldn't really like it... But I wouldn't like to see MLK in the end of it:eyebrow: It just doesn't fit...

I know a guy who got a complete sleeve tattoo down one arm of Donnie Dark stuff.
What was that line? "They made me do it." ? or something. He has that.

So I'm thinking, must be a good movie based on the tattoo... and I really didn't dig it at all.

We don't really know the complete story with the MLK thing, all I've ver read was they had issues obtaining the rights, whether that went all the way up to the band declining, or mroe likely they couldn't pay U2 Limited's minimum licensing fee.

It would have been a perfect song for that moment in the movie, but the slow burn success of that movie helped Gary Jules as much as it did the film-makers.

Is New Years Day not on the Donnie Darko soundtrack anyway?

LJT said:
Is New Years Day not on the Donnie Darko soundtrack anyway?

uh wha? not that i know of brah

yeah donnie darko is badass and definitely the kind of film you wanna watch twice. i enjoyed it. a lot of it doesn't make sense though...make sure you watch the director's cut

Love the Mad World cover too. I agree that MLK ending the movie would have been odd...though I guess it could have worked too. It would have felt different though.

28 Days Later...

Oh wait, that's a different kind of apoalypse without kids from the future in freak bunny halloween costumes :wink:

Donnie Darko is indeed a fantabulous movie and hearing MLK at the end of it would certainly be interesting!! A similar film is the Butterfly Effect which in spite of having Ashton Kutchner as the main star is also a fantabulous film!!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Maybe it means the world is gonna end in 28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds :ohmy:

What are you suggesting? :eyebrow:

Are you, in fact, a demonic bunny rabbit from beyond the grave??? :shocked: I would feel so betrayed if you were. :sad:

Well I wouldn't say declinging. Maybe you all need to take a rest from U2 for a bit and then when you go back to it, it will seem new, clean, "Fresh"

Justin24 said:
Well I wouldn't say declinging. Maybe you all need to take a rest from U2 for a bit and then when you go back to it, it will seem new, clean, "Fresh"
i think you might've meant to post this in the "declining songs" thread (which, like atomicbono said, it's weird that there's a declined songs thread and a declining songs thread) :)

An Cat Gav said:
Donnie Darko is indeed a fantabulous movie and hearing MLK at the end of it would certainly be interesting!! A similar film is the Butterfly Effect which in spite of having Ashton Kutchner as the main star is also a fantabulous film!!

Which apparently has the worst sequel ever, stay far, far away! But the original was very enjoyable. Some elements of it reminded me of Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind which is a brilliant movie.

And a couple of weeks later came the answer , as I had said it was not Donnie Darko .........

it was this movie :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Next_Door

Here's the original quote :

" U2 would not agree to license two of their songs for the film because of the nature of the story. Songs from Filter and The Verve were used instead.
"

And there is a reference bout them , there's a big poster with all the album covers in a character's bedroom

Oh, Baba O'Riley was used at the end credits, too. :up:

I really enjoyed that movie, I didn't expect a real story going into it just a lot of Elisha Cuthbert, so that was pleasantly surprising.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom