Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Just a new idea...don't know if it's ever been done before. What do you think of having like a question or a comment and then discussing what you think about it, whether you argree of disagree? Just something a bit different.

First topic -

One is U2's most powerful and universal song.

Discuss!

^Silly post. Sorry.

It's certainly a powerful song in many ways, tho a lot of ppl misunderstand what it's about according to Bono, as he says that he's suprised that so many ppl have the song as their first dance at their wedding.

As for universal, that's true. You'll never be at a u2 gig where the whole crowd isnt singing along to it, and I think seeing the mixed bunch of fans at Live8 all joining in together, just goes to show how popular it is.

But saying that, it's still far from their 'best' song for me.

I'll try and keep this short...

In terms of the powerful U2 songs then One is probably the most universal, I'd agree with that. (I think there are other 'poppy' U2 songs that are more universally known and enjoyed though. ...Like BD...) In terms of lyrical content then perhaps One is more wide open to interpretation than others, yes.

However, for most powerful then I think 'Bad' has the more emotive vocals for me (I'MM WIDE AWAKKKEEEE!*). That's always been my issue with One...that it is, by nature, quite an uneventful song. Sometimes this works well (would smouldering emotion be the right description?), but I think it's one of those songs that you have to be in the right mood/frame of mind to really enjoy. Because otherwise One just becomes rather dull...

* I realise that just because the vocals are screamed at one point does not automatically equal emotion but you've all heard the song. You know what I mean.

:up: Great idea for a thread.

Thanks, TheQuiet1!

Now to add my own comment, I think it is probably U2's most universally powerful song. It is known by most people, and at many charity events, One is defintely going to be played. It was played at Live8 and and and at Hurricane Katrina. Universally, it reaches so many different people in so many different ways, the lyrics have been interpreted this way and that way, so it is probably their most universal song.

In terms of powerful, I'm less confident. In human terms, it is certainly powerful, because why would they play it at charity events otherwise? U2 mean business when they are doing One. But in song terms, I have to agree with The Quiet1. It certianly doesn't reach the elevated heights of other songs, and I think Where the Streets Have No Name could give One a run for its money in both categories.

In terms of using 'universal' and 'powerful' together, then yes - I agree with you. If we were using just one of those words, then I would beg to differ. You don't have to be a U2 fan in the slightest to know the song. It seems to be something that many will draw on in times of difficulty.

I don't know how to expand on that further - I don't want to babble, so i'm keeping it short.

Last edited:
I think With or With You is a very strong contender in this category. it was the lead single (and the best imo) from their biggest selling album, it's lyrics are powerful and the climax of the song is just wonderful.

i think more people have probably heard this song than One. a lot of my friends around my age (19/20) have never heard of One or heard it all but they all know WOWY.

therefore i've come to the conclusion that With Or Without You is U2's 'most powerful and universal song' :)

One is powerful but I think there are others that are more so.

I agree with the WOWY people:drool: Streets is powerful for me...it sends a shiver up my spine and tears to my eyes when I hear it live.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom