Deathmatch: U2 versus The Beatles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

I know this wasn't addressed to me but....

She said I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it is to be sad
And she's making me feel like I've never been born.

I said "Who put all those things in your hair
Things that ake me feel that I'm mad
And you're making me feel like I've never been born."

She said "you don't understand what I said"
I said "No, no, no, you're wrong"
When I was a boy everything was right
Everything was right

I said "Even though you know what you know
I know that I'm ready to leave
'Cause you're making me feel like I've never been born."

She said "you don't understand what I said"
I said "No, no, no, you're wrong"
When I was a boy everything was right
Everything was right

I said "Even though you know what you know
I know that I'm ready to leave
'Cause you're making me feel like I've never been born."

She said I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it is to be sad...

Unfortunately for John he’s too inconsistent to be considered with the likes of Cohen, Dylan and Springsteen lyrically speaking.

In my opinion he’s the equivalent of the gold at the end of the rainbow, he had the hooks but little else.

Although in saying that this is a shit thread.

crystal4470 said:
Look, no-one in their right mind would compare any band to the Beatles, at this moment.

both bands have a unique sound.

The Beatles tore up the 60's era with countless number one songs all over the world. U2 haven't done that.

I ask the question whether anyone on this forum has every been to a U2 concert where you couldn't here the band perform over the screaming female crowd.

Don't get me wrong i love U2. I have been a fan since 1981.

Maybe this is the debate we all should be having in another 20 years time.

Well, U2 do have more #1 songs in Ireland than the Beatles. U2 have 18, while the Beatles only have 13.:wink:

The reason people had difficulty hearing the Beatles at their concerts is because their soundsystem was to small. The Beatles played with a soundsystem in stadiums that some bands today would use in a club or theater.

The 1960s was a very different from time from today. It took the Beatles two weeks to sell 55,000 tickets for their Shea Stadium concert, but today U2 can sell that amount in minutes for a New York City area show or shows. The Beatles have sold far more albums since they disbanded in 1970 than they actually sold while they were a band prior to that time.

While its true we would not have the music we love today without the Beatles, that does not change the fact that many people consider Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby to be superior to any Beatles album.

STING2 said:
many people consider Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby to be superior to any Beatles album.

Yep, but those people are :coocoo: :shrug:

:wink:

and let's all reiterate:

image11.gif

Last edited:
yeah this topic is sort of pointless. on the subject of lyrics though, i prefer bono to lennon. lennon wrote some great ones but i feel like u2 lyrics have more consistently had substance throughout their career. :shrug:

ps-the first post is inherently flawed because Rubber Soul is the greatest Beatles album. :tsk:

I think U2's longevity and success will be another record for the books, just like the Beatles were/are. Just a different era, and no one will come close to matching their strength, passion, talent. They will/have set a whole different record with their career and success and continue on. I
love.gif
them!

and I
love.gif
the Beatles too, it's just that U2... 'they move me there' :dance:

My first Beatles album was Revolver.

I thought it sucked.

It's one of my favorite albums ever now. I sometimes wonder how many people listen to something once, decide it sucks, then miss out. Especially with a band as built up as the Beatles, where you might be predisposed to thinking they can't possibly stand up to the hype (like I was). Of course, you can legitimately not like the Beatles, I just wonder. Like how everyone was dissing Paul's "Fine Line" during Grammy night (I half-expected to see CNN reporting his set as "Some Shitty Song," "Helter Skelter," "Yesterday"); I mean, how many of those people have heard the song more than once and can make more than a snap judgment about it? You can legitimately dislike that too, but you know, I wonder.

Anyway, this thread still sucks.

Last edited:
STING2 I actually said they have more number ones world wide. U2 may have had more number ones in ireland but in australia, where i live, they have only had about 5 number ones. Whereas, the beatles have, and don't quote me on this, at least 20 odd.

So to compare bands like the beatles and u2 you need to look at the whole world performance not just the country that you live in.

Any way - both bands are, as i stated before, unique in their own way. And this is a really old debate and it should be put to bed!!!!!

i know, lets compare u2 to the Police/Sting. been around in the same era.

crystal4470 said:
STING2 I actually said they have more number ones world wide. U2 may have had more number ones in ireland but in australia, where i live, they have only had about 5 number ones. Whereas, the beatles have, and don't quote me on this, at least 20 odd.

So to compare bands like the beatles and u2 you need to look at the whole world performance not just the country that you live in.

Any way - both bands are, as i stated before, unique in their own way. And this is a really old debate and it should be put to bed!!!!!

i know, lets compare u2 to the Police/Sting. been around in the same era.

Remember though, the Single was more important back in the 1960s than it was 20+ years later. The Beatles never had the concert selling strength that U2 had in the 1980s, 1990s, or today. But, the whole concert thing was new back in the 1960s.

It will be near impossible for anyone to have as many no1's as the Beatles had in this day and age - even general sales as music is much more diverse.

Infact I don't think we will even ever see another album that will sell over 30m copies - let alone the 45-50m Thriller has sold!

Back
Top Bottom