Deaf U2 fans? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:35 AM
Deaf U2 fans?

Anyone know of any? Just an odd questions I asked myself earlier today - can you be deaf and appreciate music?

Old 04-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Has this questions something to do with the swedish roots we both have? Just had to laugh a little when I read the subject because I asked myself the exact same question just a few days ago and thought about posting it here. lol I thought I was the only one thinking about these strange questions.

But to answer the question... I have no clue, but to read the lyrics and see them perform is pretty touching, even without sound so, yes maybe.

------------------
"U2 on itīs own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with itīs audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Old 04-27-2002, 03:26 AM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 03:35 AM
I don't know anyone personally but I do remember reading an article somewhere that hearing-impaired U2 fans were very upset that the Elevation DVD was not Close-captioned.

I guess that if you once were able to hear, and then tragically lost your sense of hearing you would still be able to appreciate the music you know by the vibration of it, especially if it's a song that you are very familiar with.

If I'm familiar enough with a song (like every U2 song!)I can sing them to myself and hear songs in my head (no I'm not crazy) and it can feel like I'm really listening to them.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....
Old 04-27-2002, 03:33 AM   #5
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
I agree U2Loopy. I think once you know a song, it's stuck in your head, even if you can't hear. Then when they feel the vibrations of it they could guess it. I think they should've done the DVD in cc. It not only helps the deaf it helps fans who aren't as familiar with the band learn the lyrics.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:48 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Well, it's odd that you asked this. Earlier this year, the orchestra I'm in played a concert at the school for the deaf and blind. It was really amazing to see them hearing us without really hearing us. They watched our bows and saw us move to see the accents and crescendos and diminuendos.

After the concert, the orchestra had changed and we went out to meet the audience. I had my Rattle & Hum shirt on and a deaf woman came up to me an told me that she loved U2. She was born deaf, so what she does is she sits between two speakers with them touching her on either side. This way she can feel what they're doing. She reads the liner notes and everything too. It was really amazing to see her talk about it.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!
Old 04-28-2002, 03:23 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Perhaps you should pose this question to dougal55, one of our long-time forum members and big U2 fan who is hearing impaired. He may be able to tell you what it's like.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:35 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Perhaps you should pose this question to dougal55, one of our long-time forum members and big U2 fan who is hearing impaired. He may be able to tell you what it's like.
So the answer is yes.....

Old 04-28-2002, 08:45 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly:
Well, it's odd that you asked this. Earlier this year, the orchestra I'm in played a concert at the school for the deaf and blind. It was really amazing to see them hearing us without really hearing us. They watched our bows and saw us move to see the accents and crescendos and diminuendos.

After the concert, the orchestra had changed and we went out to meet the audience. I had my Rattle & Hum shirt on and a deaf woman came up to me an told me that she loved U2. She was born deaf, so what she does is she sits between two speakers with them touching her on either side. This way she can feel what they're doing. She reads the liner notes and everything too. It was really amazing to see her talk about it.

That's really cool, Lilly!

Old 04-30-2002, 07:39 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 07:35 AM
Zonelistener.....

Hi! Hmmm to answer your question - can you be deaf and appreciate music?

Well, the answer is yes you can appreciate the music in many different ways.

Im deaf since birth myself and, as Sulawesgirl kindly pointed out, I have been a fan of U2 for many years. Many years ago, as a young kid, I used to listen to a lot of music on TV but was very frustrated by the lack of subtitles at the time so it put me off for a while. It was only when my uncle bought me my first ever album by Adam and The Ants where it had lyrics on the sleeve that it changed me!!!! YES, THE Adam Ant! So by the 3rd album I got (1st one I bought back in 1985) it was a watershed in my life as far as I was concerned....that album is titled "Under a Blood Red Sky"

I dunno how to explain it but somehow I was intrigued by the sounds of those incredible live songs on the album as well as the crowd's participation in songs like 40 and Party Girl. I had no lyrics at the time (though now I do!) but boy was I hooked by the sounds! At the time I listened to them as loud as possible (within my parents limits - ha ha! )

Fast forward to 17 years later and after 15 U2 gigs so far plus many many other gigs....I still love any music (with the absolute exception of heavy metal (apart from RHCP) and manufactured pop! ugh!) and I sometimes use sign language to "sing" the songs mostly U2 stuff. I love U2 so much and I always appreciated meeting many U2 fans through the years especially those I met in Dublin last summer for Slane1. They were fantastic people!

I agree with U2loopy's view about close-captions (we brits call it subtitles). He's right about how helpful close-captions are for not just deaf people like myself but also for anyone interested in listening to bands like U2. REM has a number of their DVDs subtitled, likewise with RHCP's latest DVD though I havent seen them yet! So why cant U2 do the same with Boston Live DVD? Im gonna write to Dreamchaser Productions to lobby them hard for subtitles to go on U2's rumoured Slane DVD.

I love that story Lilly! That is so cool!

Zonelistener....thank you, thank you a million times for posting this topic, I really appreciate this as its not very often that people here in this forum ask about it....Anyway I hope I have explained enough to answer your question but feel free to ask if I havent.....email me at dougal55@hotmail.com

cheers my dears!

dougal
Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

dogal -

Thanks for the post. I was wondering about that, and do not have any deaf friends to ask. I will e-mail you!
Old 04-30-2002, 11:43 AM   #12
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

That's a wonderful story, dougal...thank you very much for sharing it with us all.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place
Old 04-30-2002, 12:41 PM   #13
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 06:35 AM
hey Dougal, thanks for your story. This is pretty amazing.

I actually didnīt know that youīre deaf. Itīs great that you can enjoy music

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01
Old 04-30-2002, 01:22 PM   #14
War Child

Hey thanks for your kind words y'all!

Its much appreciated......

dougal
Old 04-30-2002, 02:06 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:35 AM
I am hearing impaired, and a long time U2 fan. The music, the sounds, Bono's voice, Edge's guitar playing, Larry's drumming, Adam's bass...the whole band in general...its hard to explain how they caught me. When I first discovered this place, the first thing I did was go for the lyrics section. There were some B-side songs I couldnt make out over the years. I couldnt tell you how emotional I became reading them. I never take for granted the gift of music. It is God's greatest gift to us. Experiencing U2 in concert is also something I will never take for granted. I think dougal55 described it best here.

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..
Old 04-30-2002, 04:44 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

I just thought about this - I work for the local arena (selling tickets during the NHL season). I remember now in our training that there is a special "hearing-impaired" section, mandated by the government I think. A "signer" stand at the bottom of the section and signs what is being said or sung. Pretty cool!
Old 05-01-2002, 03:50 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Dougal thanks for your story... I have many family members who are deaf and can barely hear vibrations.. I remember my aunt putting her hand on the flute as I played, and I know my grandmother could hear the bass when it was up very loud in the car. But I don't think they were fully able to appreciate it- it's something I am thankful for every day!

On the same subject matter- does anyone remember what show and the details of the show/song when the guys had a person on stage (or on the vid screen?) doing sign language? I remember there was a beautiful significance to this, but unfortunately I can't remember any details. I'd love to hear it again if you guys know what I'm talkin about.

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*
Old 05-01-2002, 07:59 AM   #18
War Child

Hi nellie!

Its good to know that Im not the only one here in the forum who's hearing impaired....

I had the exact experience as you had when I discovered the lyrics to all those U2 songs including b-sides, it opened, in a way, up a new world of discovery for me in listening to U2. I would love to correspond with you, nellie, if thats ok with you. My email addy is up this page....feel free to write....

Hey Olive! Thats cool to know that you know what we feel as deaf people. As for the question you asked about a song which a person appeared on stage.....

OK, I have told this true story before....It took place in Earls Court back in 1992 during Zoo TV tour when I went to see the Irish guys play there with a friend, Michael. During the concert, I was really getting into the concert when, out of the blue, during the song, Ultra Violet, a video screen burst into life and showed a lady "singing" the song in sign language. I looked in disbelief and to cut the story short, I happen to have been a friend of hers! Her name is Rachel Bastikar and the band was grateful for her help they even put her name as a credit on the Zoo TV programme! They also gave her a pair of free tickets and a free tour T-shirt!

Anyway I watched the performance by her throughout the whole song and oh man you should have seen my face! I was totally shocked but the event actually made me immensely proud to be deaf! Whats more this was repeated the following year on Zooropa tour...amazing stuff!

Have you seen it yourself by the way Oliveu2cm?

A question for Zonelistener....where is this Arena you work for? I think that is so cool to know that the arena has set aside an area for "hearing impaired" people...I just wish we had that sort of thing right here in UK for concerts!

anyway cheers my dears!

dougal
Old 05-01-2002, 08:51 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by dougal55:

Hey Olive! Thats cool to know that you know what we feel as deaf people. As for the question you asked about a song which a person appeared on stage.....

OK, I have told this true story before....It took place in Earls Court back in 1992 during Zoo TV tour when I went to see the Irish guys play there with a friend, Michael. During the concert, I was really getting into the concert when, out of the blue, during the song, Ultra Violet, a video screen burst into life and showed a lady "singing" the song in sign language. I looked in disbelief and to cut the story short, I happen to have been a friend of hers! Her name is Rachel Bastikar and the band was grateful for her help they even put her name as a credit on the Zoo TV programme! They also gave her a pair of free tickets and a free tour T-shirt!

Anyway I watched the performance by her throughout the whole song and oh man you should have seen my face! I was totally shocked but the event actually made me immensely proud to be deaf! Whats more this was repeated the following year on Zooropa tour...amazing stuff!

Have you seen it yourself by the way Oliveu2cm?

Hey Dougal-
you know I might have in fact heard this story before from you. I wish I had saved it- whoever wrote it spoke beautifully of the moment. I'll look into it some more and let you know what I can find- it must have been amazing. I did not see it- no ZooTV for me! But great to read about!

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*
Old 05-01-2002, 09:25 AM   #20
Thom's Bitch

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Hey dougal! How are you my friend?!

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com