Deaf U2 fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has this questions something to do with the swedish roots we both have? Just had to laugh a little when I read the subject because I asked myself the exact same question just a few days ago and thought about posting it here. lol I thought I was the only one thinking about these strange questions.

But to answer the question... I have no clue, but to read the lyrics and see them perform is pretty touching, even without sound so, yes maybe.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

I don't know anyone personally but I do remember reading an article somewhere that hearing-impaired U2 fans were very upset that the Elevation DVD was not Close-captioned.

I guess that if you once were able to hear, and then tragically lost your sense of hearing you would still be able to appreciate the music you know by the vibration of it, especially if it's a song that you are very familiar with.

If I'm familiar enough with a song (like every U2 song!)I can sing them to myself and hear songs in my head (no I'm not crazy) and it can feel like I'm really listening to them.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

I agree U2Loopy. I think once you know a song, it's stuck in your head, even if you can't hear. Then when they feel the vibrations of it they could guess it. I think they should've done the DVD in cc. It not only helps the deaf it helps fans who aren't as familiar with the band learn the lyrics.

Well, it's odd that you asked this. Earlier this year, the orchestra I'm in played a concert at the school for the deaf and blind. It was really amazing to see them hearing us without really hearing us. They watched our bows and saw us move to see the accents and crescendos and diminuendos.

After the concert, the orchestra had changed and we went out to meet the audience. I had my Rattle & Hum shirt on and a deaf woman came up to me an told me that she loved U2. She was born deaf, so what she does is she sits between two speakers with them touching her on either side. This way she can feel what they're doing. She reads the liner notes and everything too. It was really amazing to see her talk about it.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

Perhaps you should pose this question to dougal55, one of our long-time forum members and big U2 fan who is hearing impaired. He may be able to tell you what it's like.

Originally posted by Lilly:
Well, it's odd that you asked this. Earlier this year, the orchestra I'm in played a concert at the school for the deaf and blind. It was really amazing to see them hearing us without really hearing us. They watched our bows and saw us move to see the accents and crescendos and diminuendos.

After the concert, the orchestra had changed and we went out to meet the audience. I had my Rattle & Hum shirt on and a deaf woman came up to me an told me that she loved U2. She was born deaf, so what she does is she sits between two speakers with them touching her on either side. This way she can feel what they're doing. She reads the liner notes and everything too. It was really amazing to see her talk about it.

That's really cool, Lilly!
smile.gif

Zonelistener.....

Hi! Hmmm to answer your question - can you be deaf and appreciate music?

Well, the answer is yes you can appreciate the music in many different ways.

Im deaf since birth myself and, as Sulawesgirl kindly pointed out, I have been a fan of U2 for many years. Many years ago, as a young kid, I used to listen to a lot of music on TV but was very frustrated by the lack of subtitles at the time so it put me off for a while. It was only when my uncle bought me my first ever album by Adam and The Ants where it had lyrics on the sleeve that it changed me!!!! YES, THE Adam Ant!
eek.gif
So by the 3rd album I got (1st one I bought back in 1985) it was a watershed in my life as far as I was concerned....that album is titled "Under a Blood Red Sky"

I dunno how to explain it but somehow I was intrigued by the sounds of those incredible live songs on the album as well as the crowd's participation in songs like 40 and Party Girl. I had no lyrics at the time (though now I do!) but boy was I hooked by the sounds! At the time I listened to them as loud as possible (within my parents limits - ha ha!
biggrin.gif
)

Fast forward to 17 years later and after 15 U2 gigs so far plus many many other gigs....I still love any music (with the absolute exception of heavy metal (apart from RHCP) and manufactured pop! ugh!) and I sometimes use sign language to "sing" the songs mostly U2 stuff. I love U2 so much and I always appreciated meeting many U2 fans through the years especially those I met in Dublin last summer for Slane1. They were fantastic people!

I agree with U2loopy's view about close-captions (we brits call it subtitles). He's right about how helpful close-captions are for not just deaf people like myself but also for anyone interested in listening to bands like U2. REM has a number of their DVDs subtitled, likewise with RHCP's latest DVD though I havent seen them yet! So why cant U2 do the same with Boston Live DVD? Im gonna write to Dreamchaser Productions to lobby them hard for subtitles to go on U2's rumoured Slane DVD.

I love that story Lilly! That is so cool!

Zonelistener....thank you, thank you a million times for posting this topic, I really appreciate this as its not very often that people here in this forum ask about it....Anyway I hope I have explained enough to answer your question but feel free to ask if I havent.....email me at dougal55@hotmail.com

cheers my dears!

dougal

That's a wonderful story, dougal...thank you very much for sharing it with us all.
smile.gif

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

hey Dougal, thanks for your story. This is pretty amazing.

I actually didn?t know that you?re deaf. It?s great that you can enjoy music
smile.gif

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

I am hearing impaired, and a long time U2 fan. The music, the sounds, Bono's voice, Edge's guitar playing, Larry's drumming, Adam's bass...the whole band in general...its hard to explain how they caught me. When I first discovered this place, the first thing I did was go for the lyrics section. There were some B-side songs I couldnt make out over the years. I couldnt tell you how emotional I became reading them. I never take for granted the gift of music. It is God's greatest gift to us. Experiencing U2 in concert is also something I will never take for granted. I think dougal55 described it best here.

------------------
you've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice..

I just thought about this - I work for the local arena (selling tickets during the NHL season). I remember now in our training that there is a special "hearing-impaired" section, mandated by the government I think. A "signer" stand at the bottom of the section and signs what is being said or sung. Pretty cool!

Dougal thanks for your story... I have many family members who are deaf and can barely hear vibrations.. I remember my aunt putting her hand on the flute as I played, and I know my grandmother could hear the bass when it was up very loud in the car. But I don't think they were fully able to appreciate it- it's something I am thankful for every day!

On the same subject matter- does anyone remember what show and the details of the show/song when the guys had a person on stage (or on the vid screen?) doing sign language? I remember there was a beautiful significance to this, but unfortunately I can't remember any details. I'd love to hear it again if you guys know what I'm talkin about.

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Hi nellie!

Its good to know that Im not the only one here in the forum who's hearing impaired....

I had the exact experience as you had when I discovered the lyrics to all those U2 songs including b-sides, it opened, in a way, up a new world of discovery for me in listening to U2. I would love to correspond with you, nellie, if thats ok with you. My email addy is up this page....feel free to write....

Hey Olive! Thats cool to know that you know what we feel as deaf people. As for the question you asked about a song which a person appeared on stage.....

OK, I have told this true story before....It took place in Earls Court back in 1992 during Zoo TV tour when I went to see the Irish guys play there with a friend, Michael. During the concert, I was really getting into the concert when, out of the blue, during the song, Ultra Violet, a video screen burst into life and showed a lady "singing" the song in sign language. I looked in disbelief and to cut the story short, I happen to have been a friend of hers! Her name is Rachel Bastikar and the band was grateful for her help they even put her name as a credit on the Zoo TV programme! They also gave her a pair of free tickets and a free tour T-shirt!

Anyway I watched the performance by her throughout the whole song and oh man you should have seen my face! I was totally shocked but the event actually made me immensely proud to be deaf! Whats more this was repeated the following year on Zooropa tour...amazing stuff!

Have you seen it yourself by the way Oliveu2cm?

A question for Zonelistener....where is this Arena you work for? I think that is so cool to know that the arena has set aside an area for "hearing impaired" people...I just wish we had that sort of thing right here in UK for concerts!

anyway cheers my dears!

dougal

Originally posted by dougal55:

Hey Olive! Thats cool to know that you know what we feel as deaf people. As for the question you asked about a song which a person appeared on stage.....

OK, I have told this true story before....It took place in Earls Court back in 1992 during Zoo TV tour when I went to see the Irish guys play there with a friend, Michael. During the concert, I was really getting into the concert when, out of the blue, during the song, Ultra Violet, a video screen burst into life and showed a lady "singing" the song in sign language. I looked in disbelief and to cut the story short, I happen to have been a friend of hers! Her name is Rachel Bastikar and the band was grateful for her help they even put her name as a credit on the Zoo TV programme! They also gave her a pair of free tickets and a free tour T-shirt!

Anyway I watched the performance by her throughout the whole song and oh man you should have seen my face! I was totally shocked but the event actually made me immensely proud to be deaf! Whats more this was repeated the following year on Zooropa tour...amazing stuff!

Have you seen it yourself by the way Oliveu2cm?

Hey Dougal-
you know I might have in fact heard this story before from you. I wish I had saved it- whoever wrote it spoke beautifully of the moment. I'll look into it some more and let you know what I can find- it must have been amazing. I did not see it- no ZooTV for me! But great to read about!

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Hey dougal! How are you my friend?!

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

A question for Zonelistener....where is this Arena you work for? I think that is so cool to know that the arena has set aside an area for "hearing impaired" people...I just wish we had that sort of thing right here in UK for concerts!

anyway cheers my dears!

dougal

The arena is in St. Paul, Minnesota. The understanding I had from the conversation at training was that it is something that is being required of all venues under the civil disabilities act (sp?) - pretty cool. I will find my manual later and post the info.

Olive....

Yeah I have mentioned the story to you in this forum before....Hope you can find the article....I didnt save it too!
biggrin.gif

Hey Bono_man! Good to see you here! Im grand, mate, Im grand! Been busy going to parties and that you know....I had a date last week for first time in years...that went well too!
biggrin.gif
Got invited to 3 parties (one tomorrow, one on Friday and one on Sunday - we have a day off next Monday - Bank Holiday woohoo!!!). Im possibly going to just one though cos Im not sure whats happening with my pals so gotta check with them first...Im bound to get legless though!

Then theres the matter of preparing for Newcastle Utd's trip to Europe.....Im very tempted to follow them there next season though it wont be easy to get tickets! They are always snapped up very quickly, will keep you informed about the team!
plus a trip to Dublin in July! Yahoo! Cant wait! Will Rosa still be there btw? Hope you are well yourself.....see ya mate!

Hey zonelistener....thats right...it is something to do with the civil disabilities act...I have heard about that myself from my pals here in UK....We dont have that kind of thing here which is a shame.....but the British deaf people are now campaigning for the Government to officially recognise British Sign Language. Recognition would help a lot in the same way as in America....

cheers my dears

dougal

*raises hand*

I am hearing impaired. Although, my hearing loss (bilateral hearing loss since birth) is not what you might think. With hearing aids, I am fortunate to have near 95% "normal" hearing range. It was not until I was 4 that it was discovered that I was hearing impaired. Thankfully and amazingly, my speech development was not affected by this. In 1975, at the age of 4, I became one of the youngest persons to of been fitted with hearing aids in my province (BC, Canada). Only recently, in 1999, did I switch from analog to digital hearing aids. And again, I was fortunate to adapt to the new technology. Because of this, listening to music (lots of U2!) was like a new experience all over again. For "normal" hearing people, imagine switching from listening to cassette tapes all your life to compact discs. That is basically what I experienced in 1999 with my hearing.

Hearing aids have been an everyday part of my life since I was 4. I am blessed that I can hear as well as I do.

PS-

Dougal, I am a Newcastle Ut. fan myself way over here in British Columbia, Canada! Shearer's getting a hat-trick against Southampton on saturday to claim the scoring title! Glad to see he is back on form.

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 05-01-2002).]

Will Rosa still be there btw?

That girl aint goin' nowhere!!

------------------
"Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth"
- One Tree Hill

jonedwards80@hotmail.com

Bono_man....

So Rosa aint going nowhere, huh? Thats great! I hope to bump into her while Im in town....im intrigued to know how she's done so far in Dublin....its been over 6 months since she arrived hasnt it? From what I have heard so far here in this forum, it seems that she's done amazingly well!!

Hey Roland! Thanks for your story! I always had hearing aids since I was 2 (when my mother found out my deafness) but with different kinds through the years all of them analogue. Hmmm, you put a very good case of digital hearing aids to me...Im tempted to try them out but they are exorbitantly expensive here though. I know a guy who got one and he got it for ?2,500 (about US$3250)!! Maybe try it out when I have enough money....

Yeah, I quite agree Roland...I feel blessed too that I can hear as well as I do......if it wasnt for that, I wouldnt be the kind of U2 fanatic that I am now!
biggrin.gif

Woo-hoo! Another Newcastle Utd fan! Way to go Roland! Oh yeah Shearer is on blistering form and he's ours, not England's anymore! Shearer still dont want to be picked for the World Cup so that he can concentrate on the team he loves and supported since he was a kid! Good for him I say!

cheers my dears!

dougal

Hi to all especially Nellie and Roland!!!!

Hey, I thought Id let you know this.....I have written an email to Ned O'Hanlon of Dreamchaser last week about the issue of subtitles/close-captions being missing from U2 Boston Live DVD and arguing for inclusion of them on future U2 DVD releases. This is what Ned had said in his reply:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your comments. I regret that this particular product was not
closed-captioned. We had intended to add closed captions but we literally
ran out of time. We had such a huge amount of work to do to meet the
delivery deadline that some elements were not possible. Closed captioning
was one of these. I completely understand your frustration and, should we be
involved in future U2 DVD projects, undertake to include closed-captioning.

Best wishes

Ned

Dreamchaser Productions"

Well, thats disappointing to know that no time was taken to include subtitles on U2 Boston Live DVD. Thats his excuse, really but I do bloody hope that future U2 DVDs will include subtitles/close-captions. We'll see what happens....

dougal

i meant to post in this thread a while ago but i got busy...

believe it or not, i'm partially deaf also. of course you can be deaf an appreciate u2's music even if you have to turn the volume up(i do this when maybe i shouldn't be, lol, but to a worthy reason)! I've worn hearing aides since i was 5 an have had my ups/downs. i admit they are a pain in the ass! always breakin down when you don't expect it. i had to go get a new ear mold impression done but they said i had to wait cuz i had ear wax on my ear drum :slant:

they work great when they do. the technology is great these days for deaf people i'll tell you. they have special loops with a microphone built in it that go around your neck an plug into cell phones so that when you switch to telephone mode on your hearin aide, you can only hear whoever is on your cell nothin else. my hearing aides sure get lota feedback from my cell using it the normal way which is just impossible. most phones do have loops available. i know nokia has one which i use, an motorola also.

i really like watching rattle an hum dvd with subtitles, heh.

i used to have a suite mate in a on-campus dorm, i'd play the music loud an lots til he hated it, lol. he only likes eminem. says u2 is too much love music.

i like playin it loud so i can hear everything in greater detail, heh.

Hi Jesse!

Thanks for posting your reply!

Yeah I quite agree.....I like to play my music out loud so I can hear as much detail as possible!

Hey have you (or anyone who replied in this thread who are deaf) been to any U2 gigs last year? Were you able to follow the concert(s)? I was able to follow the music but not always though as I sometimes struggle to listen when the audience is so loud! :D

Cheers

dougal

dougal55 said:

Hey have you (or anyone who replied in this thread who are deaf) been to any U2 gigs last year? Were you able to follow the concert(s)? I was able to follow the music but not always though as I sometimes struggle to listen when the audience is so loud! :D

yes i did, 3 times(Phoenix in April, Las Vegas and Los Angeles #3 in November) :D i have the same prob as you do. sometimes i'd turn my hearing aides off cuz they weren't needed. i can mainly hear the music, not much else.

Back
Top Bottom