Daughtry's Cover of SBS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
If this has been mentioned, I ask the mods forgiveness and request merging or closing.

Chris Daughtry was an AI finalist last year - voted off surprisingly in 4th place. Many thought he'd either win or at least be second.

Despite being voted off, Daughtry's first album - under the group name Daughtry - has been a hit, charting at #1 in the U.S. and selling quite well.

Daughtry (the band) covered U2's SBS. The video link is here. In the background of Daughtry's video, you can see U2's Red Rocks video playing - most cool! Chris Daughtry almost comments how much he likes U2 and how SBS is probably his favorite U2 song. Other band members also comment how much they like U2. And, I have to say, they do a great cover of the song. I know many here don't like covers - and admittedly, covers are rarely as good as the original, but for a cover, I was impressed.

I liked Chris Daughtry on AI and from what I've heard of his album and other releases, he's rapidly become my favorite AI performer. Good job!

Are you saying that Daughtry is a group and not just Chris Daughtry with a solo moniker like Cher, Sting, Bono, etc?

He did do a pretty good cover of Johnny Cash's I Walk The Line.

Daughtry is now the name of the group featuring Chris Daughtry as the lead singer. If you watch the video, the other four guys aren't just studio musicians, but part of the group Daughtry. Yes, it is confusing. ;)

Oh, and in my first post, it was supposed to read "Chris Daughtry ALSO comments...." not "almost comments". LOL! This is what I get for posting while at work. :shh:

jedi Larry said:
Are you saying that Daughtry is a group and not just Chris Daughtry with a solo moniker like Cher, Sting, Bono, etc?

He did do a pretty good cover of Johnny Cash's I Walk The Line.

Yes, as doctorwho posted the group is named Daughtry and the reason is that if they had named the band something else they would have lost the momentum of the AI connection. When he was putting the band together he didn't just look for good musicians but for people that he could form a bond with so that the band could be like family.

Dana

Hm, it's a well done cover, but for some reason it just seemed odd to me because it's a song that is so closely identified with U2, so it just seemed weird to hear another band other than U2 play it.

That was just about the worst thing I've ever seen. Just so bad.

These tools have as much business covering "Sunday Bloody Sunday" as Michael Bolton had covering "When a Man Loves a Woman."

I got to see Daughtry last month, and they did SBS. Much better that the youtube clip. Personally I thought it was pretty amazing. Especially since I'm pretty sure that I was the only one in my immediate area that knew the whole song.
But that's what you get for going to a show filled with soccer moms, and teenage drama queens

Back
Top Bottom