Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 08:18 AM
Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

...got stoned listening to a demo copy of Young Modern.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone, it's on page three of the paper this morning. Apparently they all sat on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to it.

Of course it's all been denied now "a big boast", as Bono and Peter Garrett are fiercely "anti-drugs" according to the story.

Apparently it's very bad for Garrett considering he's in politics. For gawd's sake, if people are only now realising that he may have taken drugs when he was a rock star, you are one thick mutha

Just thought I'd drop in

Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 PM
^ what newspaper?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
^ what newspaper?
I'm guessing the Herald Sun?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Re: Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
...got stoned listening to a demo copy of Young Modern.

Just thought I'd share that with everyone, it's on page three of the paper this morning. Apparently they all sat on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to it.

Of course it's all been denied now "a big boast", as Bono and Peter Garrett are fiercely "anti-drugs" according to the story.

Apparently it's very bad for Garrett considering he's in politics. For gawd's sake, if people are only now realising that he may have taken drugs when he was a rock star, you are one thick mutha

Just thought I'd drop in
Are you high right now? None of this even makes any sense.

So Bono's previewing albums in his bed?

And since when has Bono been "fiercely anti-drug"?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Well the problem was that this was not refering to what he might have done when he was a Rock Star. This was refering to something this last November. He now says that he was joking and assumed that since Bono and Garrett are anti-drug that people would realize that. It's probably no big deal for Bono but will cause quite a mess for Garrett. Personally it doesn't matter to me if Bono dabbles with a bit of wacky tobacky cause we all know he doesn't over indulge but politicians can't get away with that. The sad thing is that a joke made by someone who Garrett has no control over can seriously damage his career.

Dana
Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 07:18 AM
I heard the way Johns said it, and it wasn't a joke... you can rest assured it happened.

I have a newfound respect for Bono.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:18 PM
It's on page 3 of the Daily Terror in Sydney.

For the non-Australians here, Peter Garrett (ex Midnight Oil frontman) is now a politician, facing an election later this year. I don't know about Johns/Imbruglia, but he (Garrett) was around Bono a lot when the U2 ship was in town, and Bono did rent a house down on the harbour for a week or so of their time here. Bono is also on record as a Silverchair fan, and Natalie Imbruglia has performed with U2 before. In other words, the story isn't really a stretch. My bet is there's some truth to it in some degree and Daniel Johns is backpeddling fast to help his buddies political image. Or maybe I just like the story.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It's on page 3 of the Daily Terror in Sydney.
Y'all have a newspaper called the Daily Terror? I am so moving to Australia
Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:18 PM
the thing that doesn't ring true in all of this is that he said it was a joke and that was proved by the fact that both Garrett and Bono are anti-drug. I'm just not aware of Bono being a big anti-drug advocate.

The rest of it sounds pretty feasible to me
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks for the link, it makes a little more sense than the original post.

Never thought Austrailia was so uptight about pot...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamOutLoud13

Y'all have a newspaper called the Daily Terror? I am so moving to Australia
It's called the Daily Telegraph, but it's a News Ltd owned sensationalist tabloid, so it's got the Daily Terror nickname here.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It's called the Daily Telegraph, but it's a News Ltd owned sensationalist tabloid, so it's got the Daily Terror nickname here.
Ah, that ruins it for me a bit. I'll just settle for moving to New Jersey so I can live on Shades of Death road
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #14
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Never thought Austrailia was so uptight about pot...
I wouldn't say we are; I think this is more a case of a tabloid trying to blow up a minor story because it features a politician. I have a sneaking suspicion that no-one will give a shit.

In any case, it seems like the media's having a more difficult time than usual getting things to stick to the Opposition at the moment, so I don't think this will exactly ruin Garrett's chances of re-election.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Australia isn't really uptight about pot at all, but Peter Garrett is trying to present himself as a serious candidate in a party that is desperately trying to win a federal election this year against a conservative party that has had an incredible grip on power for over a decade. It's not about pot, it's about image, and his party would be trying to limit the image of him as a rock star taking part in whatever rock star stuff, and present him as one of their leading faces for change. Politics is politics and he's not running as some alternative/independent/far left candidate limited to a certain demographic. It's the equivalent of one of your 2 or 3 most high profile Democrat candidates happening to be a former rock star, and 4 months out from an election a story goes around that he's recently been sparking doobies with Bono and Billy Joe from GreenDay. You know it's going to be made an issue in the media and his PR people are going to be scrambling for cover, even if in reality it really isn't and that most people wouldn't really care.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I wouldn't say we are; I think this is more a case of a tabloid trying to blow up a minor story because it features a politician. I have a sneaking suspicion that no-one will give a shit.

In any case, it seems like the media's having a more difficult time than usual getting things to stick to the Opposition at the moment, so I don't think this will exactly ruin Garrett's chances of re-election.
Just thought it was interesting that the little side story on that link was calling for Garrett to have a drug test.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Just thought it was interesting that the little side story on that link was calling for Garrett to have a drug test.
Yeah, but I've linked you to the Australian equiv. of the NY Post or UK Sun. Sensationalist tabloid rubbish. Interview 100 people who say they don't care, then find one from some extreme anti-drug group who says they do, print only that.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Gotcha...
Old 07-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #19
45:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Exactly.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:18 PM
Rock stars smoke pot! Film at 11.

Dun-dun-dunnnnnnn!

God bless the tabloids of all nations. It's something we can all rally against in this crazy, mixed-up world.