Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jonnytakeawalk said:

How does anyone know if they're predisposed to schizophrenia?? Even if you don't have a family history of the disease is it worth the risk?? It HAS been medically proven marijuna smokers are twice as likely to develop schizophrenia

Unless you know nothing about your family history, you should have a clue if there are family members with severe mental illness. Just as if you are at all observent you will know if there are several people in your family who are alcoholics (and so avoid drinking alcohol).

Almost everything in this world can cause some people to have problems. And while in light of the studies linking marijuana and schizophrenia I most likely would steer clear of marijuana if I had a strong genetic link to it (I don't), the research isn't without it's doubters (not stoners either, but real, honest to goodness medical researchers). So it's certainly not a done deal.

And if the percentage of people who develop schizophrenia is a very tiny fraction of the population, then even a doubling of that risk is still tiny. So the "doubling your risk" thing very well may still be extremely small. If you don't want to take that particular risk, you shouldn't. But don't think that you aren't taking loads of risks to your health every day of your life.

last unicorn said:

I think most people don't get that you're in an EXTREME state of mind doing a show like that. The tension, the adrenaline, the stress and the relief afterwards have similar effects on your brain to drugs. I am not saying that I totally deny the fact that Bono or any other member of the band has ever taken drugs, I find it very possible, but I wouldn't attribute strange behaviour after a concert to drug use, as there are other factors involved. I am not a performer, but I have gone through situations where I got extremely "high" on adrenaline, almost euphoric, and then came down into a very strange state of mind where I had problems articulating myself. This can lead into depression quite easily.

No, we get it. I'm just disagreeing. That doesn't mean I don't get it. All I'm saying is Bono's behavior in that particular interview is very similar to behavior I've witnessed of people after smoking pot. I'm not trying to be offensive. That's just my own conclusion based on my evidence of past experience.

Is there another interview that was done immediately after a performance? Perhaps we could do a comparison in another thread.

Also, after working with concerts, agents, and musicians, it wouldn't surprise me. Many of them certainly don't do shows completely free of substance. I'm not saying U2 are like everyone else, or that everyone is the same. I'm just saying it is a possibility. And it would just make sense to me. :shrug:

If there was no tranquilizer in the bud, then there wouldn't have been any problem, and we wouldn't be talking about this.

on the subject of U2 and drugs, the book 'The Unforgettable Fire" mentions joints occasionally being passed around after shows during the 80's, although it doesn't give a particular example it would be extremely likely. I don't see the big deal.

Last edited:
unico said:

No, we get it. I'm just disagreeing. That doesn't mean I don't get it. All I'm saying is Bono's behavior in that particular interview is very similar to behavior I've witnessed of people after smoking pot. I'm not trying to be offensive. That's just my own conclusion based on my evidence of past experience.

Is there another interview that was done immediately after a performance? Perhaps we could do a comparison in another thread.

Also, after working with concerts, agents, and musicians, it wouldn't surprise me. Many of them certainly don't do shows completely free of substance. I'm not saying U2 are like everyone else, or that everyone is the same. I'm just saying it is a possibility. And it would just make sense to me. :shrug:

this one was done a few hours after a gig (on his birthday BTW) :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ywA5c-H-vDI

And this one was done at the same event, maybe a little earlier on the night, but after the concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsbcujF3IA

Last edited:
I don't see the big deal either. I would say there is a very definite chance all of them have at least tried it.

However I don't think Adam's ever touched the stuff.. :wink:

greety said:

this one was done a few hours after a gig (on his birthday BTW) :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ywA5c-H-vDI

And this one was done at the same event, maybe a little earlier on the night, but after the concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsbcujF3IA
Poor Bono, having to do an interview after a show must be really tough. I think I'd kick those peoples' asses.

I especially love the first one, which I already knew, he's so sweet, even though a little shy and maybe scared because the guy is so tall. He looks a bit tired and wasted (was his birthday after all), plus they felt the show wasn't very good.

The second one I have never seen before, thank you so much for posting the links.

last unicorn said:

Poor Bono, having to do an interview after a show must be really tough. I think I'd kick those peoples' asses.

I especially love the first one, which I already knew, he's so sweet, even though a little shy and maybe scared because the guy is so tall. He looks a bit tired and wasted (was his birthday after all), plus they felt the show wasn't very good.

The second one I have never seen before, thank you so much for posting the links.

There is a 2nd part of the italian interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EQGMt4Erd4

(thanks to bibien ;) )

rihannsu said:
In case the other link that was posted doesn't work, try this one.

http://www.m u.com/?d=008JW099

It's m e g a u p l o a d, you know the drill

Dana

Thanks Dana and unico for the links. Too bad those sites are blocked by my work, I'll have to check it out at home.

Back
Top Bottom