Daniel Johns, Natalie Imbruglia, Peter Garrett and Bono...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still don't think it happened. If it was just Johns, Imbruglia and Bono, I wouldn't turn my head at all. Just that Garrett is involved makes me seriously doubt it.

I have no problem if it did, of course - although I would be very concerned for Garrett's sake - and to a lesser extent, Bono's political reputation.

still,
bonoandclintonqr3.jpg

Axver said:

I wouldn't say we are; I think this is more a case of a tabloid trying to blow up a minor story because it features a politician. I have a sneaking suspicion that no-one will give a shit.

In any case, it seems like the media's having a more difficult time than usual getting things to stick to the Opposition at the moment, so I don't think this will exactly ruin Garrett's chances of re-election.

I tohught you were a Kiwi...

The conservative-populist anti-Garrett Herald Sun/Daily Telegraph will try anything to damage Garrett's credibility and popularity...the sad thing is that it will work with many dumb folk.

Whether it happened or not, it's still kinda bizarre, and the mental image is rather hilarious.

intedomine said:
I tohught you were a Kiwi...

I've lived in Australia since 1997 (originally the Gold Coast, now Melbourne) and I'm a citizen of both countries.

^ That's right....we won't be throwing you back Axver, we stole your Lamington Recipe and Pavlova,Russell Crowe....heck "The Crowdies".....the master of U2 setlists is ours *muhahaha*

and Phar Lap, Split Enz, Dragon, oh and you're welcome to Russell Crowe.

Back on topic, I think it was in Bono on Bono he says something like...Bono smokes a spliff, Bono doesn't smoke a spliff, I don't want to discuss it or make an issue out of it... Seems he can neither confirm nor deny. Or perhaps he did but didn't inhale.

I didn't know Bono was anti-drugs :scratch: I just remember him saying that drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes were bad for you, but clearly he does all.

Has anyone seen when they were on A Grand Madness after a Popmart show? :lol: yeah, tell me Bono wasn't high in that one.

Regarding the politician...I mean, as long as he didn't inhale he's okay, right? :wink:

^ I don't think Bono needs drugs to be high. He's just a natural born hyperactive and adrenaline is some powerful stuff. :lol:

Seriously, I don't care if he does or doesn't, the chances he consumed some substances other than alcohol and cigarettes when he was younger are pretty high, but I don't think he does anymore.

Well, unless it was his weed (if it happened at all), I wouldn't go around saying he does it all the time these days. I don't think there's ever been a time he's been crazy about it... maybe in 1994. He was probably on everything then. :huh:

I think this may have been blown a little out of proportion, but this is still an issue for Garrett. He's a politician, and thus he is meant to abide the law. Marijuana, whether you approve or not - is illegal in any dosage in New South Wales.

I just thought the combination was hilarious.

I bet Edge, Larry and Adam were on the other side of the door going, "Nah, he'll let us in soon. He's cool."

jonnytakeawalk said:

and being uptight about pot is a bad thing?? Pot can screw up people bad. A friend of mine who had never smoked marijuna before smoked a joint that had horse tranquiliser in it, she was awake for three days striaght hallucinating and now has schizophrenia. pot is NOT a harmless drug

That's a horrible example. That's like saying my friend ate a whole pie with her salad, and gained weight after one meal, salad is bad.

I remember reading just a couple days ago in "U2 by U2", the story Bono told about going to a seedy apartmen in Japan during ZOO TV and having people around smoking "spliffs" (is that the Irish term for a joint, btw?) He said he remembers them saying something about how that group of people was involved with the Japanese mafia. Bono than said "I don't smoke spliffs, but I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible." My book is being borrowed right now but if someone has the exact quote it's in the ZOO TV section. I wouldn't doubt he's tried drugs in the past; it would be foolish to assume that. However, I really don't think he indulges now based on that statement.

I know the quote you're speaking of, I was going to mention it. Second to last page of the Zoo section, I believe. He got caught up with the Yakuza/Gokudo after tagging along with some druggy fellow - can't recall who exactly - who was looking to buy some smack.

In the November '04 (I think) Uncut, the story was mentioned involving a Japanese lady offering heroin to Bono, which he also declined.

By the way, spliff is a pretty common term for a joint all over the English-speaking world.

Last edited:
The Sad Punk said:
I know the quote you're speaking of, I was going to mention it. Second to last page of the Zoo section, I believe. He got caught up with the Yakuza/Gokudo after tagging along with some druggy fellow - can't recall who exactly - who was looking to buy some smack.

In the November '04 (I think) Uncut, the story was mentioned involving a Japanese lady offering heroin to Bono, which he also declined.

By the way, spliff is a pretty common term for a joint all over the English-speaking world.

Thanks! I've just never heard anyone here in the States call it that. The first time I read that I remember thinking, "What the hell is a spliff?":lol:

"spliffs" is a funny word. all those consonants and just one vowel in the middle. makes me wanna sing "one of these things is not like the other!"

and i was wondering what natalie has been up to these days.

Last edited:
last unicorn said:
^ I don't think Bono needs drugs to be high. He's just a natural born hyperactive and adrenaline is some powerful stuff. :lol:

Seriously, I don't care if he does or doesn't, the chances he consumed some substances other than alcohol and cigarettes when he was younger are pretty high, but I don't think he does anymore.

That's why the "A Grand Madness" video was hilarious. He wasn't hyper at all. I don't know too many people that get "hyper" from pot anyway. Isn't it a depressant?

But yeah, check out the video. I couldn't stop laughing.

I saw people getting high from joints a lot, they get talkative, philosophical and courageous. I don't know, but maybe it can have the opposite effect on others. It's like alcohol I guess: some people get hyped up drinking, others fall asleep.

last unicorn said:
I saw people getting high from joints a lot, they get talkative, philosophical and courageous. I don't know, but maybe it can have the opposite effect on others. It's like alcohol I guess: some people get hyped up drinking, others fall asleep.

ah i see, i misunderstood. when you said "hyped up" i thought you meant like immeasurable new heights of hyperactivity, like from too much sugar, or from crack.

but yeah cannibus is a depressant. not in the sense that it shuts you down completely, but that it is not a stimulant like cocaine.

i would say that the horns of us u2nicorns have more of a stimulant effect than a depressant. what do you think? :wink:

I should shut up and stick to singing

At no time have I ever 'smoked a joint' with Bono or Peter Garrett

Sydney Morning Herald, July 08, 2007

Dylan Welch

The office of Peter Garrett has moved quickly to hose down a joke by Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns on Sydney radio this morning, suggesting Johns, his wife, Garrett and U2 singer Bono smoked dope together at a house in Sydney recently.

Johns, on Triple J to discuss the band's fifth album, Young Modern, released earlier this year, joked with presenters that when he played a demo of the album to Garrett and Bono they had been all lying on a bed in a Sydney house Bono was occupying, and smoking marijuana.

"[Bono] invited me over the house he was staying at in Sydney and asked if I'd play the demos and it was really one of the most surreal moments of my life," Johns said after 8am.

"It was me and [John's wife] Natalie [Imbruglia] and Peter Garrett and Bono laying on Bono's bed smoking joints listening to the Young Modern demo."

News website Crikey said the alleged incident would have occurred in November last year, when U2 were playing in Sydney.

However, Garrett's office began receiving calls from journalists who had taken the comments literally, and the office quickly contacted John's management to establish what had occurred.

His management confirmed Johns had made the comments, and Garrett's office asked Johns to issue a retraction, which he did later in the morning.

"I made a stupid joke," the singer stated.

"It's just been brought to my attention that some people in the media have taken my dumb joke seriously so I want to set the record straight. At no time have I ever 'smoked a joint' with Bono or Peter Garrett.

"They are both well known to be very anti-drugs so that's why I assumed everybody would know I was joking when I made that comment. Clearly that wasn't the case and I feel sick that I might have caused embarrassment to two people who I admire so much.

"I was fortunate enough to once get to play them some of my demo's but I swear that no joints were involved. I guess I felt a bit like a namedropper mentioning them on the radio so that's why I added a silly throwaway joke.

"I accept that drug use is no laughing matter and I apologise sincerely for any confusion or harm I've caused."

When contacted by smh.com.au Mr. Garrett's spokeswoman Kate Pasterfield confirmed the alleged incident had not taken place.

Mr. Garrett also clarified whether he had ever smoked marijuana in his life via Ms. Pasterfield.

"I tried a bit of dope in my 20s but I haven't since," Mr. Garret said through Ms. Pasterfield.

Johns also said his statement that issues like this were one of the reasons he was disinclined to participate in interviews.

"I really should just shut up and stick to singing," he wrote.

Laughing Gas. said:
Wouldn't doing any drugs of illegal nature contradict Bono's Christian faith?

No more than drinking alcohol does, (or smoking cigarettes, or dancing,etc.)

It's more a Southern Baptist thing...not a Christian thing.

Called "legalism"...

Bono seems to be more anti drug abuse than anti drugs. I've never heard him railing against drugs in general, except heroin. And the difference between pot and heroin on the drug scale is like the difference between giving someone an overly enthusiastic high five on a cold morning and stabbing them in the face repeatedly with a rusty fishing knife. Daniel Johns has backtracked with, basically, "It's all true!.... Apart from the weed!" My guess is the truth is somewhere in the middle. They were all there, listening to the demos on a sunny summer afternoon at a huge mansion right on Sydney Harbour, and Daniel Johns - who has openly talked of his love of the 'erb on more than a few occasions - had some weed. Some people smoked. DEFINITELY NOT THE RESPONSIBLE POLITICIAN THOUGH! LET'S MAKE THAT VERY CLEAR! lol...

jonnytakeawalk said:

and being uptight about pot is a bad thing?? Pot can screw up people bad. A friend of mine who had never smoked marijuna before smoked a joint that had horse tranquiliser in it, she was awake for three days striaght hallucinating and now has schizophrenia. pot is NOT a harmless drug

uh.. you do realize the obvious flaw in what you were saying right?

jonnytakeawalk said:

lol. So it wasnt the horse tranquiliser that did that?

Thats the worst example I have ever seen. I laugh at you. I point and laugh at you.

Back
Top Bottom