Damn - I'm Nervous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just putting my hand up to echo all the 'Pop' comments. It's a fantastic album, and I hope the negative experience they seemed to have with it didn't effect them too much, ie I hope they are not afraid now to push it creatively. ATYCLB was a 'safe' album. A great album, but definitely done to be safe. They pretty much say so themselves. To me, U2 are at their best when they are pushing it. I'd rather them push it and 'fail' then deliver another safe and commercialy huge album.

ATYCLB may have been a "safe" record, but after almost 10 years of living in outerspace, it was time to come back to Earth.

MrBrau1 said:
ATYCLB may have been a "safe" record, but after almost 10 years of living in outerspace, it was time to come back to Earth.

Yep ATYCLB is a good album but do songs like Peace On Earth and Grace really get you excited. There pretty average tracks for U2. I compare them to weak tracks off Pop (And if god will send his angels, if you wear that velvet dress) and I know that angels and velvet dress are far stronger tracks. When I'm listening to ATYCLB they are the tracks that I very often will skip and that is unusual for me when listening to a U2 album.

Oh yeah and Earnie Shavers, Mofo is a great track. I can remember when I first got the album, I played that song non stop and still love it now.

rjhbonovox said:

Yep ATYCLB is a good album but do songs like Peace On Earth and Grace really get you excited. There pretty average tracks for U2. I compare them to weak tracks off Pop (And if god will send his angels, if you wear that velvet dress) and I know that angels and velvet dress are far stronger tracks. When I'm listening to ATYCLB they are the tracks that I very often will skip and that is unusual for me when listening to a U2 album.

Grace and POE are OK. Not great, you're right, I skip them as well. But when you compare the strengths from Pop and ATYCLB you get an amazing balance of songs: Kite, DYFL, Gone, Walk On, SATS, BD, Stuck, Please, NY, Mofo, IALW. The overall collection of U2 songs was only improved by ATYCLB.

Last edited:
I just want to mention that I think Grace is the most boring song U2 has made in a very long time.

Dalton said:
What if I hate the new album?

If you hate it...well, it will be disappointing to you to not have new U2 material you dig. But just keep enjoying the old stuff.

I will agree that Neon Lights is a snooze fest too. I like The First Time though, but why the hell is it on the Best of instead of The Fly?

What is Viva Davidoff?

MrBrau1 said:
Viva Davidoff is a B-Side to Miss Sarajevo. 4 minutes of U2 sucking Eno's pecker, ie-blips, drones, and burps.

I must say, you give one helluva song review! :wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Rhgbonovox, don't ever crack on velvet dress - its magic. Seriously, put that song on and her panties disappear - like magic.

Dalton said:

Seriously, put that song on and her panties disappear - like magic.

Thats great, and very true too. I love both POP and ATYCLB, their about the same for me. I think POP has 1 real skipover (Playboy Mansion) and so does ATYCLB (Peace on Earth) Of course, there are other tracks you skip over once in awhile, but those are the two tracks I never listen to. Everything else is very strong, both albums were magic to me.

Dalton said:
Put that song on and her panties disappear - like magic.

Back in highschool when With or Without You was the closer for EVERY school dance, I had 3 separate girlfriends (at separate times of course! :wink: ) where "With or Without You" was "our" song. This song was the best magic for that period of my life. Lets just say that my tongue did the most exploring EVER with this tune playing. :D

If POP had sold 15 million copies................don't you think the band would never have said it wasn't finished??

I hated that they guys went and updated or "finished" the songs for The Best of......It's akin to Da Vinci heading back to The Louvre after a few years and stickin a big toothy grin and moustache on the Mona Lisa...... I love POP.............It's perfect in it's own over cooked / undercooked way .....and I don't care whether it sold 1 million or 20 million copies. I guess as a fan.............it's nice to see your band to well and get great reviews..............but sometimes the best music is the stuff that divides the critics and the fans........If HTDAAB turns out to be their best Album ever.........and it still bombs...........well then at least we've got another kick ass album from one of the greatest bands of all time............Genius doesn't always get recognised or rewarded in it's own time.

On a final note............I think HTDAAB gonna blow us all away.

Back
Top Bottom