curious about Digital Box Set...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet353

War Child
What format does it come in...mp3? If so, what bitrate--can they be burned to CD's? If it is another format--how good do they sound? Not compared to CD, but rather compared to other formats.

They come in a proprietary Itunes format called 128kbps AAC. It is supposedly equivalent to a 160kbps MP3. I cannot vouch for the quality, as I have never been able to tell the difference between anything above 128kbps MP3.

They can easily be burned to a CD using the itunes software.

szuchy said:
They come in a proprietary Itunes format called 128kbps AAC. It is supposedly equivalent to a 160kbps MP3. I cannot vouch for the quality, as I have never been able to tell the difference between anything above 128kbps MP3.

They can easily be burned to a CD using the itunes software.

Correct, it's actually mp4 created by Dolby Labs & licenced to Apple as AAC.

You won't noticed much loss of sound quality unless you make a copy of a copy of a copy...

You can burn through iTunes, and the CD will be playable in anything. The MP4/M4A (protected/unprotected) AAC format is comparable to at least a 160Kbps MP3, and likely a little better. You won't be disappointed with your purchase. I love it :)

does the box set come protected when downloaded? if so, what does one have to do to unprotect the digital box set once its downloaded?

i'm going to get it very soon so i'm trying to find out from other buyers whatever i can about it, if I need to convert it and if so how to convert it and play it on other applications like windows media player (my player of choice).

I know your pretty good with your audio stuff gorman for all you've done on this forum....

mofo82 said:
does the box set come protected when downloaded? if so, what does one have to do to unprotect the digital box set once its downloaded?

i'm going to get it very soon so i'm trying to find out from other buyers whatever i can about it, if I need to convert it and if so how to convert it and play it on other applications like windows media player (my player of choice).

I know your pretty good with your audio stuff gorman for all you've done on this forum....

Anything you download from Itunes is protected/limited to play on only 5 different computers.
You can play on as many iPods as you want though.

However, There is no authorized way to move music from iPod back onto computer without messing up your ipod & itunes.

The way to convert Apple music to mp3 is to burn it as a WAV file on CD & then reload it as a mp3 file, not AAC, into the player/file manager of your choice. Unfortunatly it has become lossey but I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Now ask me howto burn 446 songs quickly...:wink:

Last edited:
If you want to play them in windows media player, you will have to convert all 446 songs to mp3....... I would recommend searching for something called The hymn-project. I am about to purchase the set myself, but I love iTunes and don't listen to my music any other way. Seems a bit worthless to me to pay $150 for tracks that aren't as good as a CD, when i have all their CD's anyway.

Hey would anyone be willing to send me that "Digital Booklet" that came with the Complete U2.......email me I'm sure I've got something I could give in return.....U2 mp3 or mov or whatever.....thanks

Feliz Navidad

Xavier

caylan said:

Anything you download from Itunes is protected/limited to play on only 5 different computers.
You can play on as many iPods as you want though.

However, There is no authorized way to move music from iPod back onto computer without messing up your ipod & itunes.

The way to convert Apple music to mp3 is to burn it as a WAV file on CD & then reload it as a mp3 file, not AAC, into the player/file manager of your choice. Unfortunatly it has become lossey but I doubt you'll notice the difference.

Now ask me howto burn 446 songs quickly...:wink:

Does this mean that once the cd's are burnt as WAV files that they aren't limited anymore as one of the 5 copies? What I'm trying to ask is if there's a way that I won't be limited in the number of times I want to burn a song/ songs, even if it's just one out of all 400 songs?

mofo82 said:

Does this mean that once the cd's are burnt as WAV files that they aren't limited anymore as one of the 5 copies? What I'm trying to ask is if there's a way that I won't be limited in the number of times I want to burn a song/ songs, even if it's just one out of all 400 songs?

The 5 burn limit only applies to playlists. You can create the same playlist as many times as you want, so you can actually burn the tracks an infinite number of times.

But, yeah, once they're burned the tracks are just like any other CD audio file. Rip them back to WAV and you can do whatever you want with them.

mofo82 said:
Is quality lost by ripping them from aac to wav's back to normal mp3's?

Yes, but it's the same lost of quality as ripping a normal commercial CD to mp3.

See, by converting the aac files to wav files first and then burning to a CD, you have effectively created a normal commercial CD.

It is easy to convert AAC files from "protected" to "unprotected". I have used a particular program with my Mac with no problems whatsoever. There is also a Windows variant of the program available, but I have never tried it.

Go to google and type a search with "hymn software aac" and then follow the link from Pocket PC forum.

I am leery about sending a link directly using the forum but I hope that this helps. I hope that I do not upset the administrator and I have only used this program to decrypt songs that I have bought legally.

Matthew

I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.
I dont have DSL so they told me I cannot get the box set.
My Uncle just bought the boxset for my cousin. Can I go to his house, and he put the digital set on my Ipod? I know we arent supposed to share but is this possible or can you only put it one Ipod?
Thanks

U2SJ said:
I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.
I dont have DSL so they told me I cannot get the box set.
My Uncle just bought the boxset for my cousin. Can I go to his house, and he put the digital set on my Ipod? I know we arent supposed to share but is this possible or can you only put it one Ipod?
Thanks

You sure can! I think we're allowed to do that 5 times or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom