Crumbs From Your Table VS. Elvis Presley And America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So which song do you like better, Crumbs or Elvis?

I say Crumbs, but its not an easy pick!

That's a random-ass match-up.

Normally I'd say Crumbs, but it depends on my mood. Sometimes Elvis Presley and America is amazingly calming. Neither of them are really high on my list of U2 songs.

Yeah, what kind of odd comparison is this?

I love EPAA, but I think Crumbs is one of U2's five or so best songs from the 2000s, so it gets my vote here.

I'm probably the only die hard U2 fan in the world that absolutely loves Elvis Presley and America

Iskra said:
I'm probably the only die hard U2 fan in the world that absolutely loves Elvis Presley and America

No, you're not. It's in my top fifteen U2 songs, so I'm with you.

"Elvis" all the way. Mo'fucker's still in the building. Totally.

AtomicBono said:
That's a random-ass match-up.

Normally I'd say Crumbs, but it depends on my mood. Sometimes Elvis Presley and America is amazingly calming. Neither of them are really high on my list of U2 songs.

So what would be a match-up that is not "random-ass"?:wink:

Axver said:
Yeah, what kind of odd comparison is this?

I love EPAA, but I think Crumbs is one of U2's five or so best songs from the 2000s, so it gets my vote here.

Well, if one can put any U2 album against another U2 album, then the same can be done for songs.

the hell? how can anyone choose EPaA over Crumbs? Absurd... sometimes I think people here overglorify U2's past and find it uncomparable to what they're making now.

EPAA is that rare song that is long but could hardly be called epic as it's a bit of a mess. Normally I'd say U2 would be better off doing more wandering, stream of consciousness type stuff like this (from a lyrical and musical standpoint), but this one is really lacking focus and any kind of thematic clarity.

In short, it sounds good when you listen to it, but it's a bit ridiculous if you give it much thought. Crumbs obviously has a much more concise subject matter, and even though it's a bit hamfisted at times, there are some great lines. The choir effect at the end isn't exactly subtle either, and the song could have benefitted from better production in the studio, much like the canned strings on OOTS.

I would still have to choose Crumbs between the two, even if it's just for Bono's passionate vocal, especially on the chorus. When he shouts "Hey!" after the last one, you can just see him in the studio caught up in the moment of performing. It's one of the high points on the album for me. Edge ain't doing too bad on this one either.

I'm waiting for the next thread, where we pit Promenade against All Becaue of You, or some other bizarre matchup.

lazarus said:
When he shouts "Hey!" after the last one, you can just see him in the studio caught up in the moment of performing. It's one of the high points on the album for me. Edge ain't doing too bad on this one either.

Exactly.

Crumbs.

I'm actually surprised how many people are voting for EPAA considering how many derogatory comments are usually made about this gem.

Against most other HTDAAB songs, I'd have picked EPAA.

Definitely a random match-up... While neither of these are high on my list of faves, I do appreciate both of them for different moods. For these purposes, i'm gonna have to go with Crumbs. Sorry Elvis.:|

Back
Top Bottom