Crumbs From Your Table VS. Elvis Presley And America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crumbs, seeing as how Elvis is a demo-quality experiment of a song and shouldn't have even made the album.

EPAA is one of those U2 songs from the 80s that has dated horribly..I admire the spontaneity of it, (whicyh is something they could do with these days) but it just isn't a very good song, so Crumbs (which is fairly average) is my choice.

Yeah, I'd prefer to have Boomerang II or 3 sunrises in TUF than Elvis... I could take Sort of Homecoming, play it slower and start to improvise lyrics over it, I can make that too... It sounds like a demo or a "hurry up, gotta close the studio" song.

Elvis by a country mile.

The genius with Elvis is that the song is so raw, so passionate, so honest.

Almost everything U2 have recorded since Zooropa has been heavily produced. They should throw in the odd improvised track every now and then. Perhaps I'm so fond of Mercy because it's also quite raw compared to HTDAAB.

STING2 said:

So what would be a match-up that is not "random-ass"?:wink:

Two songs that have a similar sound, or a similar subject matter, or come from the same era, even. Hell, even the same track number, maybe. Why did you pick Crumbs and EPAA, of all songs? I'm just curious.

Mofo vs. 4th of July...4th of July, totally. I mean, 4th of July is pure genius, mainly because Bono's not involved. Mofo has too much Bono and stupid computer sounds. The whole song is a computer. I hate computers.

:wink:

Elvis Presley And America for me. It's one of those songs I can listen to over and over. The newer songs such as crumbs sound over polished, it's good the first few listens then I don't want to listen to it again. EPAA gives me a new feeling each listen.

Aside from the fact that I don't get the title at all....
I absolutely adore EPAA...>I hated it at first, but now, it's just...I don' t know for me

i've seen you post this before (in fact, it's all you've ever posted) and it was so lame i decided to ignore it. but now that it's directed at one of my posts i have to tell you that i've not only reported it as trolling but also wanted to congratulate you on being quite possibly the singlemost retarded reason that this forum sucks such big fucking balls anymore.

EP&A - w/o question

in my mind there's no debate.

EP&A is, IMHO, one of the best songs of all time (If you want an explaination, I'll give it to you) where as Crumbs is a great song, but merely ranks in the middle of U2s mind blowing library.

Numb1075 said:
EP&A - w/o question

in my mind there's no debate.

EP&A is, IMHO, one of the best songs of all time (If you want an explaination, I'll give it to you)

I'd love to hear your explanation, because I'm baffled that so many people here love it so much. I've given my reasons for hating it, and would love to hear your reasons.

corianderstem said:

I'd love to hear your explanation, because I'm baffled that so many people here love it so much. I've given my reasons for hating it, and would love to hear your reasons.

Sure.......

Just the idea of reversing ASOHC and slowing it down is a different and fun idea. The fact that Bono didn't even know he was being recorded albeit sneaky, is interesting as well. Bono just improvised words and FEELINGS....that's the key w/ this song. He just let the music and thoughts overtake him and he ended up in unchartered territories vocally that he didn't even know he was capable of. I love the fact that you can't make out the words and hear different words every time - some 20+ years later. This makes the song ever changing and you can attach any emotion or mood to it that you want. It's a chamilion. You can listen to it today and hear desperation. You can listen to it tomorrow and hear hope. It's sad and rainy on Tuesday, but happy and sunny on Friday. It doesn't have the usual verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, outro that your business as usual songs have. You don't know where it's going next. You don't know if it has a purpose. BUT, the purpose is what you make of it, it's what you want it to be. 99.9% of songs are what they are, it's black and white.....EP&A is ever changing and that is it's beauty. It's beauty is apparent in it's slower parts and in it's climaxes as well. The Edge's accoustic guitar provides yet another level that many might not pick up on the first 2 or 3 listens but it adds to the overall epic feel. I think the song is light years ahead of the listener until it's beauty is fully understood. I'm not even sure if U2 realized (or realizes)what they captured, if they understood it's nuances, or it's many dimensions.

I hope that made sense, because it makes sense to me. If my speil doesn't convince you, that's ok, to each their own. But I'm happy to be alive in the timeframe that this song exists.

CRUMBS BY A MILE

This should be no contest. Elvis Presley and American is a confused mess of a song that I can't stand to sit through. Crumbs is one of the best U2 songs since Achtung Baby.

Thanks for your thoughts, Numb1075 - even though I still stand by my assessment of the song, I can appreciate why you love it so much. :)

corianderstem said:
Thanks for your thoughts, Numb1075 - even though I still stand by my assessment of the song, I can appreciate why you love it so much. :)

and this is why life is fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom