Crumbs from Your Table depreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
This is awesome news I'll be watching NASCAR next year as Toyota wil be racing in the series, and now with JPM bashing around in a car that can finally handle his 'skills"....!

Are you serious? That is massive news. But I don't want to lose one of the more entaining personalities in F1. But what it does mean is Webber will take Alonso's seat and win the 07 championship!!!!!! Yess!!!!

Now, back to Crumbs. Those production thingys I don't understand (do they measure volume?) but they are quite telling. And come to think of it the sound is quite sharp. I don't have the program, but can someone post Exit? I'd love to see that compared to Crumbs.

Apologies to Canadiens1160, I did overreact a bit, I'm just not a fan of the bashing of songs especially of the past two albums.

I've lost tracked
so
is the production bad? or is it mixed badly? or is it mastered too loud?

maybe my brain doesn't function anymore because I fell off my chair when people described the song as sounding "happy" musically

remidn me never to believe any of you when you say you're feeling happy

Salome said:

most of these people would say that an album like POP is brilliant while even the band members all agree that the production of that one is flawed

Double standards.

AtomicBono said:

I think this is the best arguement for the production I've seen thus far. It's sad indeed that albums these days are mixed that way. I am no expert at anything, but I do know from the very basic recordings I've done that you don't want to max out the volume on any track or channel...

could you possibly show a song from Pop with that program? obviously that just shows how well the song was mixed, not every intricacy of production itself, but I'd be interested to see how it stacks up. I bet it resembles In God's Country more than Vertigo, despite the vast amount of sounds going throughout the record. I've never had a problem with distortion anyway, except of course for Do You Feel Loved.

Thank ntalwar for bringing it up. :wink: I'm just reiterating. Pop's actually just as bad as HTDAAB in terms of production. Here's Mofo:

onescarymofo.jpg

:yikes:

Still, I'd rather have Mofo making my ears bleed than Crumbs making my ears bleed, but that's just me.

And Salome, I can't see how you don't hear the "happy" in Crumbs. The chord progression is very optimistic, especially the outro. Even Bono's "hey!" towards the end sounds quite joyful. Though I must say, Crumbs isn't half as bad as A Day Without Me when it comes to the music not reflecting the mood of the lyrics.

Maybe that harsh juxtaposition is meant to be like that.

Reflecting on how backs are turned towards Africa/or whatever the song's about, and it isn't taken seriously at all.

And false optimism being forced down their throats? The false optimism being the music.

:shrug:

U2DMfan said:
Any CD that came from a major label is mastered too loud these days, it's not just U2, for whatever that is worth.

those of you who like to read about this sort of stuff, here is a link:

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

funny he talks about the panel listening to the CLASSICAL music and not finding a single disc worthy of an engineering Grammy.

I've seen that before and it's a good read. :up: It's so silly, the idea that having a "louder" CD will make people enjoy it more. If anything, it just makes me angry. I like listening to my music loudly through a good pair of headphones but I simply can't do this with recent releases and remasters. The amount of distortion you hear is ridiculous. It's why my father's CD collection is in the CD player more often than my own.

Crumbs isnt their best work or anything, but I think it's in the middle of the pack of the HTDAAB songs and is very solid.

GibsonGirl said:

Thank ntalwar for bringing it up. :wink: I'm just reiterating. Pop's actually just as bad as HTDAAB in terms of production. Here's Mofo:

onescarymofo.jpg

:yikes:

Still, I'd rather have Mofo making my ears bleed than Crumbs making my ears bleed, but that's just me.

And Salome, I can't see how you don't hear the "happy" in Crumbs. The chord progression is very optimistic, especially the outro. Even Bono's "hey!" towards the end sounds quite joyful. Though I must say, Crumbs isn't half as bad as A Day Without Me when it comes to the music not reflecting the mood of the lyrics.

Wow, that's surprising, actually. I mean, the end especially is pretty loud, but to me it never came across as too compressed... both channels are maxed out, even! Interesting. I wonder why Pop isn't as sharp to the ears then...? At least, it isn't to me. but maybe I've listened to the album so long that I just don't hear anything but brilliance! :p And yes, I'd rather have Mofo make my ears bleed as well :wink:

Hahah, A Day Without Me, yeah, for the longest time I had no idea what that was about (despite the title). "I started :happy: a landslide :happy: in my ego :happy:" still, it has that sort of faraway feeling that all of Boy has, at least. There is something sort of surreal about it.

U2DMfan, thanks for posting that link. I wasn't aware that CDs were getting progressively louder to such an extent. It's a ridiculous trend that needs to stop. Interesting read, though :up:

Wow, if we're comparing Mofo to Crumbs, then let's be frank:

Crumbs = music.

Mofo = white noise.

About the loudness... most of U2's albums seem way too soft to me! That would be Boy, October, War, UF, and AB. JT and Zooropa are the perfect mix IMO (excluding Exit). Whenever I try to crank AB, I just make my CD player angry and it doesn't help at all. UTEOTW is the worst, I think. ATYCLB is mixed for me, Beautiful Day is just right. HTDAAB is toooo loud and overpowering.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Maybe that harsh juxtaposition is meant to be like that.

Reflecting on how backs are turned towards Africa/or whatever the song's about, and it isn't taken seriously at all.

And false optimism being forced down their throats? The false optimism being the music.

:shrug:

Yawn...the Who did that same thing all throughout Tommy. I hate Tommy. :| A lot of folks love Tommy though, so I figured it would be worth bringing up.

LemonMelon said:

Yawn...the Who did that same thing all throughout Tommy. I hate Tommy. :| A lot of folks love Tommy though, so I figured it would be worth bringing up.

haha, what do you like exactly? :wink:

Cuz you don't like my boy Sufjan :p

LemonMacPhisto said:

haha, what do you like exactly? :wink:

Cuz you don't like my boy Sufjan :p

Sufjan has good production. :lol:

Seriously, just to go off topic for a moment,

Who's Next
Quadrophenia
Live At Leeds
Quick One
Sell Out

all > Tommy

Those are some GREAT records. Tommy is mediocre for the same reason Illinoise is; lyrics that are overly-precious, music that doesn't affect me one way or another, and ultimately, it's overrated.

I'm going to go listen to Quadrophenia now.

LemonMelon said:

That's probably why U2 did it with Crumbs.

The Who influence was big with ABOY too, like everyone else probably knows.

Last edited:
Basically, CDs today have the fuck compressed out of them. The quietest parts of the music are made louder, and the loudest parts made relatively quieter. Then, they crank that mix up 11 notches so the CD is as loud as possible.

The prevailing idea from record companies these days is that a CD has to be loud to be good, or to be noticed and be comparable to the rest of the CDs at your record store.

And that is why Joshua Tree and Achung Baby sound so quiet compared to today's music.

This is Spinal Tap had it so right 22 years ago didn't it?

It's sad really :|

Let the people in this thread go such John Lennon and Thom Yorkes ****

Maybe U2 should retire maybe it would make some of you happy although I doubt it.

Go back and truely listen to Boy, October, War and seriously do you really think Crumbs is worse then some of these tracks such as Red Light or Is That All? I think not.

Yahweh said:
Go back and truely listen to Boy, October, War and seriously do you really think Crumbs is worse then some of these tracks such as Red Light or Is That All? I think not.

That might be true, but they are all better than Yahweh. :wink:

Canadiens1160 said:
Basically, CDs today have the fuck compressed out of them. The quietest parts of the music are made louder, and the loudest parts made relatively quieter. Then, they crank that mix up 11 notches so the CD is as loud as possible.

The prevailing idea from record companies these days is that a CD has to be loud to be good, or to be noticed and be comparable to the rest of the CDs at your record store.

And that is why Joshua Tree and Achung Baby sound so quiet compared to today's music.
I'm beginning to think that the music industry is out to make everyone deaf, what with the new standard being overly-loud CDs, and the rising popularity of in-ear headphones. They probably have some kind of secret deal with the Miracle Ear people :|

Just listened to Crumbs again right now. Yeah, it's fucking awesome. This thread is false.

This thread is laughable. Crumbs is better than any of the filler songs on ATYCLB. In fact, it is Crumb, OOTS and Yahweh that separate Bomb from ATYCLB. ATYCLB was essentially half an album. Bomb's real strength comes from the fact that it is, indeed, a complete album.

cypress said:
This thread is laughable. Crumbs is better than any of the filler songs on ATYCLB. In fact, it is Crumb, OOTS and Yahweh that separate Bomb from ATYCLB. ATYCLB was essentially half an album. Bomb's real strength comes from the fact that it is, indeed, a complete album.

Yeah, no.

When I Look At The World, In A Little While, New York, Wild Honey > Crumbs, Yahweh

cypress said:

Yup. ATYCLB has a great start but doesn't keep up after IALW, New York has to save the album after that.

Bomb on the other hand has Crumbs, OSC, OOTS and a solid ending with Yahweh. Best second half in years for U2.

U2girl said:

Yup. ATYCLB has a great start but doesn't keep up after IALW, New York has to save the album after that.

Bomb on the other hand has Crumbs, OSC, OOTS and a solid ending with Yahweh. Best second half in years for U2.

:up:

U2girl said:

Interesting post. Part of me agrees with it, the other part doesn't.

The beginning of ATYCLB is horrible. Beautiful Day is fine, but I like Vertigo better as an opener, Stuck In A Moment makes me want to vomit, the album version of Elevation is positively awful, and Walk On has gotten old for me, but is still a pretty good song. Kite, IALW, and even Wild Honey are all gems. Peace On Earth is very poignant and meaningful, but lacks Crumb's punch (it's still a great song though) WILATW has some great guitar, good overall sound, and sounds like classic U2. New York just rocks, simple as that. Grace is the only clunker of the second half (or last 6).

I think HTDAAB tapers off a bit at the end, considering OSC and OOTS do nothing for me, but I love every other song on the record. :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Interesting post. Part of me agrees with it, the other part doesn't.

The beginning of ATYCLB is horrible. Beautiful Day is fine, but I like Vertigo better as an opener, Stuck In A Moment makes me want to vomit, the album version of Elevation is positively awful, and Walk On has gotten old for me, but is still a pretty good song. Kite, IALW, and even Wild Honey are all gems. Peace On Earth is very poignant and meaningful, but lacks Crumb's punch (it's still a great song though) WILATW has some great guitar, good overall sound, and sounds like classic U2. New York just rocks, simple as that. Grace is the only clunker of the second half (or last 6).

I think HTDAAB tapers off a bit at the end, considering OSC and OOTS do nothing for me, but I love every other song on the record. :drool:

Oh God!:huh: :rant: :yell:

namkcuR said:

Yeah, no.

When I Look At The World, In A Little While, New York, Wild Honey > Crumbs, Yahweh

:up:

though the alternate mix of Yahweh is much better than the album version, I think. and HTDAAB's second half has AMAAW and OOTS, two of the best songs on the album :drool:

Back
Top Bottom