Crumbs From Your Table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Varitek said:
Wait I'm confused - why did you take out One and Ultraviolet?

Because I love them so much that I wanted them to be the leading two singles from Axver's Favourite U2 Tracks, an album including such masterpieces as Red Light, Trip Through Your Wires, Love Rescue Me, Stuck In A Moment, and Window In The Skies.

Paul McGuinness can barely stop drooling and fantasising about the chart positions.

Axver said:

Because I love them so much that I wanted them to be the leading two singles from Axver's Favourite U2 Tracks, an album including such masterpieces as Red Light, Trip Through Your Wires, Love Rescue Me, Stuck In A Moment, and Window In The Skies.

You spelled favorite wrong.

Axver said:

1. Zoo Station
2. Until The End Of The World
3. The Fly
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Lady With The Spinning Head
7. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
9. Slow Dancing
10. Wild Irish Rose
11. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
12. Acrobat
13. Love Is Blindness
You omit So Cruel. That's interesting. I love that song for two reasons; one for the song itself but another for its position before The Fly. AB is probably the last U2 album where I envisage an A and B side. So Cruel ends the A side on a downer and The Fly starts the B side with a bang. A great combo. Perhaps fulfilling the same role as RTSS and RHMT on JT.

AndrewCowley said:
You omit So Cruel. That's interesting. I love that song for two reasons; one for the song itself but another for its position before The Fly. AB is probably the last U2 album where I envisage an A and B side. So Cruel ends the A side on a downer and The Fly starts the B side with a bang. A great combo. Perhaps fulfilling the same role as RTSS and RHMT on JT.

When I make tracklistings, I don't even think in a vinyl mindset. I honestly find it too limiting; it breaks up the flow when a CD would not. While it can work well, such as in the way you describe, it's something I personally choose to avoid, especially as I think the effect is lost if you are not physically changing sides.

I omitted So Cruel for two reasons - firstly, despite its good lyrics, I think it's a poor song overall, and secondly because the album's already 13 songs long. I suppose you could replace Slow Dancing with it, or even extend the album to 14 songs by slotting it in between Slow Dancing and Wild Irish Rose.

Axver said:

When I make tracklistings, I don't even think in a vinyl mindset. I honestly find it too limiting; it breaks up the flow when a CD would not. While it can work well, such as in the way you describe, it's something I personally choose to avoid, especially as I think the effect is lost if you are not physically changing sides.

I omitted So Cruel for two reasons - firstly, despite its good lyrics, I think it's a poor song overall, and secondly because the album's already 13 songs long. I suppose you could replace Slow Dancing with it, or even extend the album to 14 songs by slotting it in between Slow Dancing and Wild Irish Rose.

My plan was to add it between WGRYWH and Slow Dancing but I'll do that instead. I think you have a point about the song overall, though I don't feel as strongly as you. But I just love the lyrics, and they defined an important period of my life as well.

Axver said:

I must be old since I think of A and B sides. I think of The Unforgettable Fire in this way and my reckoning is the A side (Homecoming ... Promenade) is the finest bunch of songs U2 have put out whereas the B side isn't quite there despite the presence of Bad. Still struggle to understand why Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises aren't on it. Maybe they were finished later on. I digress though, this thread is meant to be about Crumbs.

Varitek said:
My plan was to add it between WGRYWH and Slow Dancing but I'll do that instead. I think you have a point about the song overall, though I don't feel as strongly as you. But I just love the lyrics, and they defined an important period of my life as well.

I'm sure slotting in So Cruel after WGRYWH would work too; it would work sonically in either spot. I'm just thinking that in a thematic sense, it would be best after Slow Dancing rather than before - I'm not going for any kind of concept, I don't think any U2 album is suited to that, but I just don't think Slow Dancing makes sense coming after So Cruel.

What I really wish is that we had good versions of LWTSH and Slow Dancing to use. I envisage LWTSH as being like the Extended Dance Mix but with an original solo rather than The Fly's, and Slow Dancing as being a full band version but without Willie Nelson ruining it, something like the 31 October 2001 live performance.

AndrewCowley said:

I must be old since I think of A and B sides. I think of The Unforgettable Fire in this way and my reckoning is the A side (Homecoming ... Promenade) is the finest bunch of songs U2 have put out whereas the B side isn't quite there despite the presence of Bad. Still struggle to understand why Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises aren't on it. Maybe they were finished later on. I digress though, this thread is meant to be about Crumbs.

I definitely cannot bring myself to think of UF in terms of A and B sides, as I think The Unforgettable Fire --> Promenade --> 4th Of July --> Bad is one of the most cohesive, beautiful, and seamless transitions on any U2 album and I'm appalled that on vinyl editions of the album, that passage is split across two sides.

Axver said:

I'm sure slotting in So Cruel after WGRYWH would work too; it would work sonically in either spot. I'm just thinking that in a thematic sense, it would be best after Slow Dancing rather than before - I'm not going for any kind of concept, I don't think any U2 album is suited to that, but I just don't think Slow Dancing makes sense coming after So Cruel.

What I really wish is that we had good versions of LWTSH and Slow Dancing to use. I envisage LWTSH as being like the Extended Dance Mix but with an original solo rather than The Fly's, and Slow Dancing as being a full band version but without Willie Nelson ruining it, something like the 31 October 2001 live performance.

Fair point on the theme - I was just going off of the AB tracklisting. But I might leave it off, because it's a slippery slope to Ultraviolet and TTTYAATW.

I would use Extended Dance Mix but it's too long for the album. I might use a live of Slow Dancing because yeah, Willie Nelson makes me sad.

Axver said:

Who the hell gave you a licence to butcher a beautiful language? :tsk:

OK, kidding aside, I disagree that it is a beautiful language. It is, however, an irrational language. I was helping an ESL speaker taking classes here with the pronunciation of words in her reading and it illuminated for me (for the nth time) how ridiculous English is. Like, why are the "cia"s in judiciary and judicial pronounced so differently? And how do you know when it's a hard g or a soft g?

Having heard it debut in Minneapolis, it definitely sounded good -- but it could have been better. I think there was some feel of it being rushed, like they wanted to play it but didn't know how.

I think with a better arrangement, it may have been a great song live.

Varitek said:
OK, kidding aside, I disagree that it is a beautiful language. It is, however, an irrational language. I was helping an ESL speaker taking classes here with the pronunciation of words in her reading and it illuminated for me (for the nth time) how ridiculous English is. Like, why are the "cia"s in judiciary and judicial pronounced so differently? And how do you know when it's a hard g or a soft g?

See, I absolutely love the English language. I find it be wonderfully expressive and versatile, and I would certainly say it has beauty. Sure, it has its perceived peculiarities and irrationalities, but you can't say the English language is a regimented and boring language with no character!

PS 'Judiciary' and 'judicial' have the same sound for the 'c' in my English. Joodishury and Joodishul.

Axver said:

See, I absolutely love the English language. I find it be wonderfully expressive and versatile, and I would certainly say it has beauty. Sure, it has its perceived peculiarities and irrationalities, but you can't say the English language is a regimented and boring language with no character!

PS 'Judiciary' and 'judicial' have the same sound for the 'c' in my English. Joodishury and Joodishul.

I agree that the English language can be molded into expressive and beautiful sentences, but if you didn't speak it as a native language you would not find charm in its "peculiarities" and "irrationalities."

PS Judicial/Judiciary may be bad examples due to accents, but you can't counter the "g" thing. It's just strange. And we could really have done with some accented letters or whatever to replace all the weird constructions and create phonetic spelling.

But I do like our word ordering and the ways you can play with it, and the fact that we don't have declensions and for the most part we don't have conjugations. But I was biased from birth.

Varitek said:
I agree that the English language can be molded into expressive and beautiful sentences, but if you didn't speak it as a native language you would not find charm in its "peculiarities" and "irrationalities."

To be fair, I think sometimes the English language gets some harsh treatment. Other languages can be completely illogical too. How about words being masculine, feminine, or neuter? It seemed to me that German was a complete mess with that. At least English avoids all that rubbish.

PS Judicial/Judiciary may be bad examples due to accents, but you can't counter the "g" thing. It's just strange. And we could really have done with some accented letters or whatever to replace all the weird constructions and create phonetic spelling.

I recall I once actually read a rule, or at least an almost-rule, with regards to the hard and soft 'g', but I'm buggered if I can remember it now.

And as somebody whose name includes an acute (that would be André, for the unaware), I entirely agree on the point of accented letters! I just laugh when I see people type my name as Andre'. Credit for trying, at least. In high school, my name was rendered as Andr? on the internal computer system. I wasn't quite so pleased with that.

Axver said:

To be fair, I think sometimes the English language gets some harsh treatment. Other languages can be completely illogical too. How about words being masculine, feminine, or neuter? It seemed to me that German was a complete mess with that. At least English avoids all that rubbish.

Yes, I forgot, along with conjugations and declensions we avoid the gendering of nouns, which is the least rational thing in any language ever.

But the pronunciation is still bullshit. And I don't like the way it sounds compared to other langauges, though admittedly part of that is that I usually hear it with the American accent - ugh.

Varitek said:
But the pronunciation is still bullshit. And I don't like the way it sounds compared to other langauges, though admittedly part of that is that I usually hear it with the American accent - ugh.

How can I phrase this without offending anybody? I don't know. I'm blunt about my dislike for One despite the fact people I respect love it, so I'll be blunt here too: any language will sound bad in most American accents, especially Southern accents. Southern accents are truly nails on a chalkboard to me.

Though I can't stand ultra-bogan Australians who talk through their nose either.

Axver said:

How can I phrase this without offending anybody? I don't know. I'm blunt about my dislike for One despite the fact people I respect love it, so I'll be blunt here too: any language will sound bad in most American accents, especially Southern accents. Southern accents are truly nails on a chalkboard to me.

Though I can't stand ultra-bogan Australians who talk through their nose either.

I don't think it's that any language sounds bad in American accents so much as any outside accent is going to butcher a language. I just think that American English is less attractive than the other versions (except Canadian, which is just as bad as American only funny as well).

Varitek said:
I don't think it's that any language sounds bad in American accents so much as any outside accent is going to butcher a language. I just think that American English is less attractive than the other versions (except Canadian, which is just as bad as American only funny as well).

I think English sounds good in most non-English accents. Certainly as far as countries with English as a first language go, I think it sounds quite alright in New Zealand, South African, non-bogan Australian, and non-native British Isles accents. In countries where English isn't the native tongue, I think it usually comes out quite well; for example, I love the sound of English in accents from the Indian subcontinent. But I'll steer clear of most American accents. Not all; some regions are quite alright. But the South, ick.

Axver said:

I think English sounds good in most non-English accents. Certainly as far as countries with English as a first language go, I think it sounds quite alright in New Zealand, South African, non-bogan Australian, and non-native British Isles accents. In countries where English isn't the native tongue, I think it usually comes out quite well; for example, I love the sound of English in accents from the Indian subcontinent. But I'll steer clear of most American accents. Not all; some regions are quite alright. But the South, ick.

Good luck steering clear.

Which ones do you tolerate?

Varitek said:
Good luck steering clear.

Which ones do you tolerate?

I don't recall ever having any problem with northwestern or most northeastern accents.

One of my American friends has a gorgeous accent and I wish I could say it's a particular type, but I can't. She was born in California to an Australian mother and has lived most of her life in Tennessee without acquiring any kind of Southern twang. I don't know what the hell I would call her accent, but it's clearly American and it rocks.

Back
Top Bottom