Crumbs bashing thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:15 PM
Crumbs bashing thread

Am I the only person who finds this song cringeworthy? From the horrible 'cool down moma' to the lameness of rhyming table with able to other places the lyrics don't fit the music, along with the general disjointedness of a song that tries to be 3 different songs in one, this song is a stinker that should have been left off the album. I don't understand what the appeal is. Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Africa and you feel guilty hating it for that reason? I was going to ask for an explaination of the appeal of it, but I'd rather find out if I am alone is disliking this song. Anyone?

Old 12-12-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 01:15 AM
YES I'M HERE!!!
I'm so surprised that CFYT is still surviving even in Round 4 of that contest.
It's got good intro a great outro, also some verses are good, BUT IT DOESN'T FIT TOGETHER!!
I don't skip any song on HTDAAB, but this one is damn close to it.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:15 PM
I think the line about 'where you live. . . ' is kind of crap, really. I really like the stripped down studio performance on the DVD though, which is the only reason why I dont totally hate the song. I do think it's kind of a weak track, too similar to Walk On (i mean, the chord progression, the solo, cmon!). The story behind it is pretty funny, and Edge's guitar work is cool, but that's about it. I think a finalized version of Mercy would have fit perfectly.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks! I agree with both of you! The outro and guitar work is great but the rest of it doesn't fit and is not good!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My least favorite song on the album One Step Closer completely owns this it just aint good enough for a U2 album but i still think it's alrite but since when has that been good enough?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:16 AM   #6
Refugee

Love Crumbs, great music from the band, best drumming from Larry, great guitar sound, very JT, and the 2nd best song that has U2 magic, behind, AMAAW, and Yahweh comes in 3rd.

Crumbs also doesn't suffer from overproduction, sounds raw still, the cool down mamma line is a bit naff, but kinda the quirky part of U2 songs that make them really special!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I find a lot of personal identification in One Step Closer so I like it, though I do think the 'to knowing's' are drawn out too far. But at least it is a consistant song for what it is, like it or not, it doesn't jump all over and take on different styles like Crumbs, and at least the lyrics fit the music, unlike most of Crumbs.

Innocent eyes, this is a Crumbs BASHING thread, if you like it, start a Crumbs loving thread!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

Innocent eyes, this is a Crumbs BASHING thread, if you like it, start a Crumbs loving thread!
But didn't you ask "Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Africa and you feel guilty hating it for that reason?" ?

You're addressing the Crumbs-lovers/likers here, right?

I love Crumbs. Adore it. And nope, not because I'd feel guilty if I didn't.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

why not just stop bashing any song? yes i personally like that song as am sure many others do, and you may not which is your own opinion, but why oh why have a full thread just to "bash" this song?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:45 AM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 12:15 PM
Sorry U2kitten, I just can't hate this song.

The guitar is standout, the chorus melody is very catchy, and although it has some dodgy lyrics (Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die ... um, shouldn't it? Isn't that just nature/life), especially the cool down mama's, it is vindicated by it's raw production. Not a single perhaps, but great song IMO
Old 12-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwilad
(Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die ... um, shouldn't it? Isn't that just nature/life)
I think he's just showing the contrast of life in different parts of the world, and that people shouldnt be dying purely because theyre in a 'far away' place, or because the problems too big to solve. :-)
Old 12-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

But the song just plain DOESN'T WORK. It's like trying to put on a pair of shoes that doesn't fit and walk. Sometimes they feel okay sometimes you're falling over or aching so bad you rip them off. This song has its moments, but it's not a complete song, and with the great songwriting skills of Bono and Edge I find it disappointing something so disjointed made the album. I would say that it's more 'incomplete' than anything on Pop, and I don't even like Pop. The rhymes are 3rd gradeish.

As far as my bashing, actually I've been complaining about bashing, when it's over the same thing all the time over and over for years and when it gets nasty. This is very civilized, and it's the first thread on this subject. If I'm still bashing this song in 4 years, I'd see that as a bad thing. But I won't.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 05:15 PM
Do the same people who bash Crumbs' lyrics praise the lyrics in Discoteque??

BOOM CHA!!

hmmmmm......
Old 12-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
why not just stop bashing any song? yes i personally like that song as am sure many others do, and you may not which is your own opinion, but why oh why have a full thread just to "bash" this song?
I seem to lose either way on the 'opinion' shit. If I complain about someone else's bashing, I get lectured 'let them bash, everyone has their own opinion.' If I am doing the bashing, I have to hear 'don't bash because some people like it and everyone has their own opinion.' Apparently, everyone has a right to their opinion, except me
Old 12-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #15
Refugee

On the contrary, I feel it does work. Didn't like it at first listen but do now. I find everything "fits" finely .