Crumbs bashing thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
Am I the only person who finds this song cringeworthy? From the horrible 'cool down moma' to the lameness of rhyming table with able to other places the lyrics don't fit the music, along with the general disjointedness of a song that tries to be 3 different songs in one, this song is a stinker that should have been left off the album. I don't understand what the appeal is. Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Africa and you feel guilty hating it for that reason? I was going to ask for an explaination of the appeal of it, but I'd rather find out if I am alone is disliking this song. Anyone?

YES I'M HERE!!!
I'm so surprised that CFYT is still surviving even in Round 4 of that contest.
It's got good intro a great outro, also some verses are good, BUT IT DOESN'T FIT TOGETHER!!
I don't skip any song on HTDAAB, but this one is damn close to it.

I think the line about 'where you live. . . ' is kind of crap, really. I really like the stripped down studio performance on the DVD though, which is the only reason why I dont totally hate the song. I do think it's kind of a weak track, too similar to Walk On (i mean, the chord progression, the solo, cmon!). The story behind it is pretty funny, and Edge's guitar work is cool, but that's about it. I think a finalized version of Mercy would have fit perfectly.

Thanks! :bow: I agree with both of you! The outro and guitar work is great but the rest of it doesn't fit and is not good!

My least favorite song on the album One Step Closer completely owns this it just aint good enough for a U2 album but i still think it's alrite but since when has that been good enough?

Love Crumbs, great music from the band, best drumming from Larry, great guitar sound, very JT, and the 2nd best song that has U2 magic, behind, AMAAW, and Yahweh comes in 3rd.

Crumbs also doesn't suffer from overproduction, sounds raw still, the cool down mamma line is a bit naff, but kinda the quirky part of U2 songs that make them really special!

I find a lot of personal identification in One Step Closer so I like it, though I do think the 'to knowing's' are drawn out too far. But at least it is a consistant song for what it is, like it or not, it doesn't jump all over and take on different styles like Crumbs, and at least the lyrics fit the music, unlike most of Crumbs.

Innocent eyes, this is a Crumbs BASHING thread, if you like it, start a Crumbs loving thread! :p

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Innocent eyes, this is a Crumbs BASHING thread, if you like it, start a Crumbs loving thread! :p

But didn't you ask "Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Africa and you feel guilty hating it for that reason?" ?

You're addressing the Crumbs-lovers/likers here, right?

I love Crumbs. Adore it. And nope, not because I'd feel guilty if I didn't.

:D

why not just stop bashing any song? yes i personally like that song as am sure many others do, and you may not which is your own opinion, but why oh why have a full thread just to "bash" this song?

Sorry U2kitten, I just can't hate this song. :tongue:

The guitar is standout, the chorus melody is very catchy, and although it has some dodgy lyrics (Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die ... um, shouldn't it? Isn't that just nature/life), especially the cool down mama's, it is vindicated by it's raw production. Not a single perhaps, but great song IMO :)

kiwilad said:
(Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die ... um, shouldn't it? Isn't that just nature/life)

I think he's just showing the contrast of life in different parts of the world, and that people shouldnt be dying purely because theyre in a 'far away' place, or because the problems too big to solve. :)

But the song just plain DOESN'T WORK. It's like trying to put on a pair of shoes that doesn't fit and walk. Sometimes they feel okay sometimes you're falling over or aching so bad you rip them off. This song has its moments, but it's not a complete song, and with the great songwriting skills of Bono and Edge I find it disappointing something so disjointed made the album. I would say that it's more 'incomplete' than anything on Pop, and I don't even like Pop. The rhymes are 3rd gradeish.

As far as my bashing, actually I've been complaining about bashing, when it's over the same thing all the time over and over for years and when it gets nasty. This is very civilized, and it's the first thread on this subject. If I'm still bashing this song in 4 years, I'd see that as a bad thing. But I won't.

KUEFC09U2 said:
why not just stop bashing any song? yes i personally like that song as am sure many others do, and you may not which is your own opinion, but why oh why have a full thread just to "bash" this song?

I seem to lose either way on the 'opinion' shit. If I complain about someone else's bashing, I get lectured 'let them bash, everyone has their own opinion.' If I am doing the bashing, I have to hear 'don't bash because some people like it and everyone has their own opinion.' :banghead: Apparently, everyone has a right to their opinion, except me :sigh:

Sigh, could we please have this as a thread for those who DO NOT like Crumbs? That's why I started this thread, to find some companionship on this. I've already heard all the nauseating gushing on other threads, please spare me. The song is junk.

Oh whatever. It's obvious this is only going to be used to pick on me. Will a mod PLEASE delete the thread now.

Haha. yeah jeez people. the community of hate didn't work out.. let's burn it!!

I really don't see the need to be critical of any U2 song.

If a song doesn't work for you, then just ignore it and play those that you like, but what is the underlying reason to bash anything or anyone here? It just doesn't fit with U2's overall message of love.:ohmy:

There are songs on HTDAAB that I prefer over others, but I keep my preferences to myself. I don't have a need to go out of my way to be negative and bash them.

"Crumbs" is a BEAUTIFUL EXPRESSION OF BONO'S ANGER AND FRUSTRATION OVER THE APATHY OF MANY PEOPLE REGARDING THE AIDS PANDEMIC AND EXTREME POVERTY in the world.:up:

If the song makes you cringe, maybe instead of criticizing it, it would be a more productive use of your time to figure out what about the song you really dislike and then maybe begin to change your viewpoint in a way that you could appreciate the MASTERFUL MESSAGE IN "Crumbs".

Positivity is better than negativity everytime. :yes:

YOU SPEAK OF SIGNS AND WONDERS BUT I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

U2Kitten said:
Am I the only person who finds this song cringeworthy? From the horrible 'cool down moma' to the lameness of rhyming table with able to other places the lyrics don't fit the music, along with the general disjointedness of a song that tries to be 3 different songs in one, this song is a stinker that should have been left off the album. I don't understand what the appeal is. Is it that some of you see parts of it as a reference to Africa and you feel guilty hating it for that reason? I was going to ask for an explaination of the appeal of it, but I'd rather find out if I am alone is disliking this song. Anyone?

Yep its the worst song on the album and that is saying something when you have an album containing A Man And A Woman. Yes Crumbs is a pretty poor song, with a solo that is verrrrrrrry bland and a guitar intro sound that has been used a million times before by The Edge and a playout that sounds too similar to Electrical Storm. Boring song, the only re-deeming feature is good lyrics.

U2Kitten said:
Oh whatever. It's obvious this is only going to be used to pick on me. Will a mod PLEASE delete the thread now.

I'm sorry, U2Kitten, but I don't see where anybody is picking on you. Right now, there's no reason for this thread to be deleted and/or closed.

Yeah, let's just have hate threads now. What a lovely idea.

This song is WONDERFUL and stands out for two reasons in particular:
- Edge's fantastic guitar. [If you don't like his guitar on this song, I suppose you hate Pride, ISHFWILF, and Walk On too.]
- Bono's brilliant and insightful lyrics. [Some of his best ever.]

I can't see why anyone would dislike this song, let alone outright hate it. It's part of the canon of political U2.

Bonochick said:

I'm sorry, U2Kitten, but I don't see where anybody is picking on you. Right now, there's no reason for this thread to be deleted and/or closed.

I have seen many other threads closed at the request of the author alone. The reason you can't see what's happening here is because it all looks like happy little comments to you, but there are people who do not like me who are posting how great the song is to irritate me because they see I have asked several times that this is not for those who love the song, and that the praise of it makes me ill. The fact that people continue to gush over it even though I have asked this proves that it's being done to get my goat and piss me off. I am truly disappointed that my request has not been honored. I have seen threads closed or deleted at the request of the author for sillier things than this. Why are you leaving it open, to make me look like a fool? Because that's it's done.

Oh, and for those of you who say this should have been done in private, my 3 PMs have gone ignored.:down:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom