Crumbs and the diatribe which slipped under the radar.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
Listening to "Crumbs From Your Table" recently got me thinking. I'm under the impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that the song is an attack on the developed world draggings its heels on help for the Aids epedemic in Africa. I'm reading the song as the most forward attack lyrically by U2 on American foreign policy since Bullet the Blue Sky.

"then your face caught up with your psychology"
"with a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends, then you broke every heart thinking every heart mends"

Maybe these potent lyrics explain why Native Son dramatically shifted focus and became the tamer Vertigo.
"Crumbs" becomes even more powerful for me in the wider foreign policy context. Shit, it rocks too.

I think it's an attack on all developed countries, not just America.

I don't think it had anything to do with Native Son being changed. I think Native Son was changed purely because it was choppy and akward at some places and it didn't have much "global" appeal. It's pretty specific in it's lyric and not everyone is going to know the story behind it or for that fact even care...

I recall that the band/Bono said it was an attack on organized religion, hence these lines:

You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I’m waiting on the crumbs from your table

Bono has since said that he is now less critical, as the church has begun to respond in a stronger way to the AIDS in Africa crisis.

Yeah, it was an indictment of evangelical religions in the US. Bono said he couldn't understand how they were so worried about mankind and yet were allowing such a massive tragedy to occur right under their noses.

Although, they were all purportedly pretty hammered when they wrote it so who knows...

Snowlock said:
Bono said he couldn't understand how they were so worried about mankind and yet were allowing such a massive tragedy to occur right under their noses.

Something I still can't understand...

I still think it's an attack on Bush, much moreso than organized religion. "With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends, and you broke every heart thinking every heart mends" is as stinging an indictment of Bush's foreign policy post-9/11 as anything I've heard.

(For me, "You speak in signs and wonders" is an allusion to shock and awe.)

"Signs and wonders" is a direct reference to The Gospels, I believe I heard it in church last weekend. Can't remember which one it is from.

It was either a Gospel or a reading, I'd have to look it up.

nathan1977 said:
I still think it's an attack on Bush, much moreso than organized religion. "With a mouth full of teeth, you ate all your friends, and you broke every heart thinking every heart mends" is as stinging an indictment of Bush's foreign policy post-9/11 as anything I've heard.

From U2 by U2:

Bono - " 'And you speak of signs and wonders / but I need something other / I would believe if I was able / but I'm waiting for the crumbs from your table'. That line was a shot at the Church, because I felt at the time the Church wasn't doing anything about the AIDS emergency. The sleeping giant has since awoken, I'm happy to say." (page 325)

nathan1977 said:

From "Into the Heart" Bono says, "'Crumbs From Your Table' is one of the most vicious songs ever. It's full of spleen about the church and its refusal to hear God's voice on the AIDS emergency." He describes the recording, the band in full flow in the studio, when a call comes through from a friend. She's full of good humor and heart. Hard to believe that she's in a hospital in Africa, taking care of AIDS patients, where they're packed in, three to a bed. It's Sister Annie, an Irish nun, and she's looking for a favour. Actually, by calling just then, she's done him one. "You're going into the song." he tells her. And so she does, a symbol of those who give generously and don't count the cost to themselves. Unlike the Catholic Church, or fundamentalist Christian groups in the U.S. who, says Bono, have failed the AIDS challenge. "I went to speak to Christian groups in America to convince them to give money to fight AIDS in Africa. It was like getting blood from a stone," he recalled. "I told them about a hospice in Uganda, where so many people were dying they had to sleep three to a bed. Sister Anne, who I mention in the song, works at that hospice. Her office is a sewer."

He goes on to talk about how most of the song was written during a late night of drinking. I've always thought of the two of them sitting around with Bono pouring out all the shit he sees in Africa and his frustration with the church and Edge turning it into to music. Very cathartic. It's a good thing that Bono has people close to him that he can dump that shit on because if had to carry that alone it would probably do him in.

As for Vertigo/Native Son, while I think Native Son was a fine song I think what it boiled down to was that Bono had tried to write about a specific issue and unfortunately it was an issue that while important, was not as near and dear to his heart enough for him. Steve Lillywhite has said that when he first got the band to replay the song in preparation to re-record it Bono got on the mic and after about 30 seconds just stopped dead and said I can't sing this song for two years. Steve comments that he felt Bono was imagining singing the song live and realized that he couldn't put himself into it the way he needs to to be able to perform. I am a firm believer that if Bono can't believe in the song it will not work. As for those who think Vertigo is light and meaningless all I can say is that you haven't touched more than the surface of the song. It's about love and faith and temptation and surrender, all the usual deep subjects that Bono constantly ponders.

So that's my take anyway.

Dana

nathan1977 said:

Well, you can think that but its not what Bono was writing about. He indicated an interview when the album came out that it was about organized evangelical religion and some of the hypocrisy involved with it. Maybe thats why it was only played live here and not Europe.

nathan1977 said:

Nah, I disagree. First, see all the previous posts quoting Bono references to Scripture/the church. Second, Bush himself has promised MORE in aid to Africa than any other president. I'm not defending him or his policies, but I don't think this song is about the post 9/11 war on terror, I think it's about Africa or poverty in general and Bono has praised Bush's commitment on that front.

Crumbs is really great lyrically. I love that whole second verse that's been quoted a few times here.

Unfortunatley everything else about it sucks :/ the song should have been a monster, like Bullet, or at least something that begs you to listen, like Please... not a "oh happy fun time generic pop-rock song Electrical Storm Walk On ripoff"

there is a strong message in that song, but the music doesn't macth at all. maybe Bono should have used those lyrics for Love and Peace or Else, which is a badass song but when you look at the lyrics they don't really make a lot of sense.

AtomicBono said:
Crumbs is really great lyrically. I love that whole second verse that's been quoted a few times here.

Unfortunatley everything else about it sucks :/ the song should have been a monster, like Bullet, or at least something that begs you to listen, like Please... not a "oh happy fun time generic pop-rock song Electrical Storm Walk On ripoff"

there is a strong message in that song, but the music doesn't macth at all. maybe Bono should have used those lyrics for Love and Peace or Else, which is a badass song but when you look at the lyrics they don't really make a lot of sense.

I disagree. U2 are masters at the art of opposing forces. Their sharpest knives are hidden in beautiful ornamental sheaths. This song sneaks up behind you and slits your throat rather than punching you in the nose. People are really good at putting on the armor so that a frontal assault can be deflected. But that happy funtime tune gets the song stuck in your head then the when it sinks in its like a slap in the face. Not so easy to block out. Personally I think its a lot more powerfull to have strong biting lyrics over light pop music because the contrast lends more impact to it.

Dana

I personally beleive the song carries more resonanace in the context on an anti Bush administartion attack.

jinn77 said:
I personally believe the song carries more resonanace in the context on an anti Bush administartion attack.

Well, fine, but you need to explain why you think this, particularly in light of all the very legitimate counter arguments above.
What evidence do you have to support this?

AtomicBono said:

"oh happy fun time generic pop-rock song Electrical Storm Walk On ripoff"

:huh: "No one listens to the lyrics".

Yes it does sound similar musically to Walk on/Electrical Storm (Jacknife Lee's ship fog horn sounds should be taken out of the song though) but Edge's riff is more agressive than anything on the other two songs it gets compared to, and the ending is what E. Storm only wishes it did. No contest lyrically, either.

U2girl said:

:huh: "No one listens to the lyrics".

Yes it does sound similar musically to Walk on/Electrical Storm (Jacknife Lee's ship fog horn sounds should be taken out of the song though) but Edge's riff is more agressive than anything on the other two songs it gets compared to, and the ending is what E. Storm only wishes it did. No contest lyrically, either.

I never said no one listens to the lyrics, nor was I trying to infer that, if that's what you're implying :eyebrow: I just said the music doesn't match the lyrics, and I stand by what I said. Edge's riff may be more "aggressive" than on Walk On or Electrical Storm (which aren't agressive songs to begin with), but overall the song is not dark or biting or attention grabbing at all. I just find it boring :shrug:

the end is the best part of the song. it's badass, but it also is like Electrical Storm's, and also reminded me a bit of UTETOW... it's been done before, there wasnt anything really new in it.

I just like the fact that Bono's still mining the Salome Sessions for lyrical content. See: "Heaven and Hell" for (what may well have been) the genesis of the phrase "crumbs from your table." Anyway, it's a decent song and I don't really get all this fuss. It's a general (ie, non-specific) plea/cry/what-have-you for help in lending a helping hand or dollar to developing nations. Shit's in interviews, kids. No need to argue.

Bono isn't attacking anybody or any administration because he's been neutered by his fence-sitting on all things partisan. C'est la vie.

To be fair to the original poster, I too thought that the song was critical of the war/American foreign policy before I found out Bono's true intent in an interview. I think that if you didn't know the whole Church side of it, the anti-war side comes to mind pretty easily.

rihannsu said:

From "Into the Heart" Bono says, "'Crumbs From Your Table' is one of the most vicious songs ever. It's full of spleen about the church and its refusal to hear God's voice on the AIDS emergency." He describes the recording, the band in full flow in the studio, when a call comes through from a friend. She's full of good humor and heart. Hard to believe that she's in a hospital in Africa, taking care of AIDS patients, where they're packed in, three to a bed. It's Sister Annie, an Irish nun, and she's looking for a favour. Actually, by calling just then, she's done him one. "You're going into the song." he tells her. And so she does, a symbol of those who give generously and don't count the cost to themselves. Unlike the Catholic Church, or fundamentalist Christian groups in the U.S. who, says Bono, have failed the AIDS challenge. "I went to speak to Christian groups in America to convince them to give money to fight AIDS in Africa. It was like getting blood from a stone," he recalled. "I told them about a hospice in Uganda, where so many people were dying they had to sleep three to a bed. Sister Anne, who I mention in the song, works at that hospice. Her office is a sewer."

He goes on to talk about how most of the song was written during a late night of drinking. I've always thought of the two of them sitting around with Bono pouring out all the shit he sees in Africa and his frustration with the church and Edge turning it into to music. Very cathartic. It's a good thing that Bono has people close to him that he can dump that shit on because if had to carry that alone it would probably do him in.

As for Vertigo/Native Son, while I think Native Son was a fine song I think what it boiled down to was that Bono had tried to write about a specific issue and unfortunately it was an issue that while important, was not as near and dear to his heart enough for him. Steve Lillywhite has said that when he first got the band to replay the song in preparation to re-record it Bono got on the mic and after about 30 seconds just stopped dead and said I can't sing this song for two years. Steve comments that he felt Bono was imagining singing the song live and realized that he couldn't put himself into it the way he needs to to be able to perform. I am a firm believer that if Bono can't believe in the song it will not work. As for those who think Vertigo is light and meaningless all I can say is that you haven't touched more than the surface of the song. It's about love and faith and temptation and surrender, all the usual deep subjects that Bono constantly ponders.

So that's my take anyway.

Dana

Great post. :up: :up:

I was always under the impression that Bomb could have been a much more political record and that some of the stuff was re-thought - especially looking at Native Son. LAPOE is an older track in the creation of Bomb, isn't it?

But yes, I see Crumbs as a frustration agains the church and developed countries, probably especially the U.S. Bono can get frustrated and dash out some pretty serious "why?" songs.

If you shout... said:

Bono isn't attacking anybody or any administration because he's been neutered by his fence-sitting on all things partisan. C'est la vie.

Very well said.

Precisely because Bono is so soft on Bush in real life (hell, some Republicans are more critical of Dubya than Bono), I think HTDAAB does some things lyrically that are critical of the global mood since Bush took office.

Bono's lyrics align him with the social justice tradition in Christianity even while his personal life choices do not.

We need to go all the way back to the ranting Bono of rattle and hum to see the real cajones.

I think Crumbs exemplifies everything I dislike about current U2. It's very safe musically, has rehashed U2-cliche lyrics, and packs all the power of a AAA battery.

Back
Top Bottom