..crazy to ask but, did they have two PoP Arches on the go (or three?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
LMAO!!!!

Ok Ok reason I ask is this, it musta taken aaaaaages, even with all the peeps to get those huge tings up, so does anyone know if there was more than one on the go for next night gigs at diff locations?

As far as I remember it took almost a week to get the one in Belfast up!!!!!

Well, the staff and all were here for like 4 days pre the gig.......

am I right?

:)

hello?

:D

Not true.

For tours U2 usually have 2 or 3 of the stages, but that is all. When I say stage I mean platform, scaffolding, and anchors. Sometimes they have two sets of lights, but as for props, there was only one arch, one lemon, and one giant screen.

Those items are too damn expensive to have two of. They would pack those first and get them to the next town while the other stage was there waiting for them...

hubba hubba!

ouizy said:
Not true.

For tours U2 usually have 2 or 3 of the stages, but that is all. When I say stage I mean platform, scaffolding, and anchors. Sometimes they have two sets of lights, but as for props, there was only one arch, one lemon, and one giant screen.

Those items are too damn expensive to have two of. They would pack those first and get them to the next town while the other stage was there waiting for them...

I thought Maddie was asking about the arches and such, and I am fairly sure that U2 had 2 arches, 2 lemons, etc. However, they only had the one giant screen.

I'm sure the way it worked was that one group of people would begin setting up the basic stage at one place. This included the platform, anchors, etc. U2 performed on one stage with the lemon and arch. Then another group were taking apart the stage where U2 just performed. That last group would then deliver those final props (lemon, arch, etc.) to the first group and the process would start again.

Originally posted by maddie
*runs and jumps-wrestles on top of the Doc, givin it her all*

*is scandalized... yet is oddly enjoying himself. :D

oh, well, I was so sure they'd have two Arches, Cocktails and Lemons..........

mind u, hang on..........they played Botanic on a Tuesday, then it was to Dublin on Saturday, cant remember if any gigs between then.........but I DO know, right enough O, that as soon as they stopped playin One, even before the crowd was out, the staff or whateva started dismantlin everything dead quickly, so maybe there was one.........

It just sounded so 'exhausting' workin with one, what with time limits and stuff..........:slant:

:D

elevatedmole said:
I was wondering.. is there any truth to that rumour that the heart is built out of the Popmart arches?

I don't think that's true, as they are different pieces, made of different materials and with a different purpose. Some people said that the heart was LIKE the arch, but then put on the ground, as the shape of the heart is quite alike to the shape of the arch. But the heart is not physically built out of the arch (only figuratively speaking).

Am I clear or am I just rambling on?

C ya!

Marty

Ach, well, when u tink about it, I hardly tink the heart was made of the PoP Arches, for back then I dont tink (even though they did say they would tour again only low-key) they had Elevation planned as 'Elevation with a heart'...............so if nobody knew back then Im sure those Arches were dealt with another way, either demolition or other use.......but no way would they have been used for the Ele Heart..................

hmmm...I know it would have been expensive but I thought they had two video screens. during the first leg of the tour, didn't one screen get damaged due to rain? but the show the next night was fine?

sharky said:
hmmm...I know it would have been expensive but I thought they had two video screens. during the first leg of the tour, didn't one screen get damaged due to rain? but the show the next night was fine?

Actually it was just the opposite. The screen was damaged by a rain storm the night before the DC show. It still worked for DC but you could tell it had been damaged. The next show after DC was Raleigh and that show was cancelled and repairs to the screen was the reason given. Although the show was never re-scheduled and I have a feeling that was due to low ticket sales for that show. I think if Raleigh had been a sellout they would have done the show anyway as they obviously still could in DC. I think the screen just became the scapegoat it sounded better to say that was the only reason for the cancellation.

They only had 1 screen, that is a fact. They always started taking it down immediately after the show was over because it had to be transported immediately to the next show.

I dont know for sure, but I think there was only one lemon also. Everything else they had two of.

Last edited:
You guys haven't a clue what you are talking about. For the final time... there were 5 lemons, 11 Olives, 19 arches and only 1 screen.

As for Elevation, I know for a fact that there were at least 37 hearts.

I'm with Dr. Who on this one.. I seem to remember there being two arches....

And I'm pretty sure McDonald's bought them on ebay for their expansion plans to be the first fast food joint on the moon- it will be seen from Earth!

..coming to a telescope near you...

FLYNNTASTIC said:
I'm with Dr. Who on this one.. I seem to remember there being two arches....

And I'm pretty sure McDonald's bought them on ebay for their expansion plans to be the first fast food joint on the moon- it will be seen from Earth!

..coming to a telescope near you...

LMFAO FLYNNTASTIC!!!!!

:laugh::laugh::lol::lol:

The show in Gothenburg took place on a saturday. I was in town and passed the stadium on wednesday, four days before the show and half the arch was already up. (the stadium is very low on the short ends so you could easily see it from the outside) Then they had a show in Copenhagen on monday, which means they at least had to be at the same stage of the building on friday as they were on wednesday for the Gothenburg show... which means there were AT LEAST two arches.

And considering the stage was pretty much finished on friday evening, with the lemon, olive, screen, everything. I have a hard time seeing that they would have had the time to undo all that in Gothenburg after the show, transport it to Copenhagen during the night and have it up by the next afternoon/evening in Copenhagen, and then the same route for the show in Oslo another two days later. Specially not since the bridge wasn't finished by then so they had to rely on ferries which is not operating a few hours per night.

My logic says that there were at least two entire stages. The one in Gothenburg was after the show transported up to Oslo while the stage in Copenhagen after that show made it's way to Helsinki for the show on saturday (one week after Gothenburg). If it wasn't a third stage in Helsinki because that city is far out of any logic routes and going there by land takes forever whichever way you choose (through Sweden and then boat over the sea or via Baltikum)

So with some logic thinking and looking at the dates for the shows makes it pretty clear that there are not a chance there could only have been one copy of anything, not the screens, not the lemon etc.

And for where the screens are. Last time I saw one was for the Milleniumcelebrations in Stockholm where they used one. :)

Ok, done ranting.... :D

MissZooropa said:
The show in Gothenburg took place on a saturday. I was in town and passed the stadium on wednesday, four days before the show and half the arch was already up. (the stadium is very low on the short ends so you could easily see it from the outside) Then they had a show in Copenhagen on monday, which means they at least had to be at the same stage of the building on friday as they were on wednesday for the Gothenburg show... which means there were AT LEAST two arches.

And considering the stage was pretty much finished on friday evening, with the lemon, olive, screen, everything. I have a hard time seeing that they would have had the time to undo all that in Gothenburg after the show, transport it to Copenhagen during the night and have it up by the next afternoon/evening in Copenhagen, and then the same route for the show in Oslo another two days later. Specially not since the bridge wasn't finished by then so they had to rely on ferries which is not operating a few hours per night.

My logic says that there were at least two entire stages. The one in Gothenburg was after the show transported up to Oslo while the stage in Copenhagen after that show made it's way to Helsinki for the show on saturday (one week after Gothenburg). If it wasn't a third stage in Helsinki because that city is far out of any logic routes and going there by land takes forever whichever way you choose (through Sweden and then boat over the sea or via Baltikum)

So with some logic thinking and looking at the dates for the shows makes it pretty clear that there are not a chance there could only have been one copy of anything, not the screens, not the lemon etc.

And for where the screens are. Last time I saw one was for the Milleniumcelebrations in Stockholm where they used one. :)

Ok, done ranting.... :D

Once AGAIN. It is a FACT, there was only ONE screen. It was given with the statistics for Popmart. The ONE screen cost 10 million on its own. That is why they did not have two of them. There were definately 2 stages but it didnt take a whole lot to transport the screen to each show. I know for the Clemson show the entire stage was set up a few days ahead of time. The screen did not arrive until the morning of the day of the show. And it was the first thing they took down and shipped after the show.

I will search for the concrete info on the screen. But I know I'am right on this.

Last edited:
Ok, just a question. :)

I don't doubt your knowledge about this Blue room, I know you know your stats BUT I still wonder how it's possible to take the screen down, drive 1400 km (850 miles), and that with two ferries on the way and wait for that, in total maybe an hour the most but for maybe 2km "drive" at one place and 3-4 hour on the ferry on the other place and then have it up again, in 24 hours.

It sounds impossible but maybe it's not. I know the guys working for U2 is miracleous but anyway, they can't drive faster then they are allowed to with trucks. And through germany in late July, you don't want to know what it's like. :D

Don't know how long it takes to get it down and then build it up again. But still just that drive should take almost 20 hours point to point, with trucks. Or did they ever use a flight? :scratch:

:laugh: @ Dr Who

Actually it becomes more and more logic that they DID have two screens. If not, I want to know the logic in PASSING Copenhagen and drive 400km up to Gothenburg and then back down 400km for the next show in Copenhagen and then UP again the same way passing Gothenburg where they just played two days earlier, on it's way to Oslo for a show.
If they only had one wouldn't it be the smartest to do the route Copenhagen-Gothenburg-Oslo and then over to Helsinki (You who wonders what the heck I'm talking about, check you nearest map over Scandinavia. :D )

I think Popmart was expensive enough without alot of stupid extra detours of thousands of kilometres with expensive personel and trucks on the road, don't you think? :)

MissZooropa,

IIRC, U2 took the screen with them in the Jumbo 747 they had during the tour. It was big enough for U2 to travel with and transport the expensive screen (+ lemon). I recall reading somewhere that although the Popmart screen was more than twice the size of the Zooropa video walls (combined) it only took half the space. So I guess it fitted in the Jumbo.

C ya!

Marty

If that's the case, it makes sense. Didn't know if they did pack it in the plane.
BUT to some of the shows U2 didn't arrive until the same afternoon, how did they solve it then? Did they have two planes instead? ;) Two planes, two screens, I guess the price tags are in the same league. :D

Well that is partially correct. They would fly if it wouldnt make it by ground transport but I dont think they used the tour jet to do so. They actually used cargo jets at different times to transport different elements of the stage. The screen was in approximately 5'x5' sections, so when it was dismantled it was much more compact.

U2's tour jet on Popmart was a 727 and a 737 so it was not a jumbo jet. Not to mention the band typically arrives the afternoon of the show. The screen would typically arrive in the morning.

MissZooropa, sorry, maybe it did look like I got a little carried away. But U2 touring, and bootlegs are my area of U2 expertise. I'am wrong sometimes on these topics but I know this one for sure. I seem to retain anything I read on both subjects for some reason. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom