Could U2 pull off another ZooTV/Popmart at this point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Could U2 pull off another ZooTV/Popmart at this point?

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Hey, I didn't bring it up, the thread starter did. But c'mon, you don't find this to be downright creepy?

23.jpg

Hahah thats such a great picture, very creppy.

Macphisto is Art.

-----
If Mac returned would he be any different ? i Can imagine him coming back and having a MAJOR rant at the world i.e Iraq , Afgan, Africa, dafur, climate change , bush ( part 2 ),Pope ( part 2 ) etc etc.

they definitely can pull it off, there's lot of themes/issues to play around with, I don't think Bono would be interested in doing characters, one time is good enough a second time would look like a rehash, I don't think they could come up with something that tops Macphisto

they could also fill any stadium at this point in their career, maybe limit the shows in the US to secure sellouts

Mofo said:

they could also fill any stadium at this point in their career, maybe limit the shows in the US to secure sellouts

Why not keep the US away for a while :wink:

They did it on Lovetown Tour :heart:

Nah but i agree they should give europe some more love. Not again 2 legs in USA but what about 2 in europe for a change?

Mofo said:
they definitely can pull it off, there's lot of themes/issues to play around with, I don't think Bono would be interested in doing characters, one time is good enough a second time would look like a rehash, I don't think they could come up with something that tops Macphisto

The only way I could see Macphisto coming back is how The Fly came back this tour. Maybe Bono could just wear the jacket and the horns for some songs from Zooropa. Then he can just take them off and be Bono again for the rest of the show.

As for the question of another ZooTV or Popmart, I do think they could do a huge spectacle again but it'd have to be completely different from those two tours. Otherwise, it would look like they're repeating themselves.

Joey788 said:

The only way I could see Macphisto coming back is how The Fly came back this tour. Maybe Bono could just wear the jacket and the horns for some songs from Zooropa. Then he can just take them off and be Bono again for the rest of the show.

As for the question of another ZooTV or Popmart, I do think they could do a huge spectacle again but it'd have to be completely different from those two tours. Otherwise, it would look like they're repeating themselves.

but wouldn't it be just emulating the past? what would be the point, the zootv videos were really cool during the Vertigo Tour but to bring Macphisto in the same way...I don't think it would work

that's my opinion it would seem like living in the past

They would have to keep it current

Bono's got plenty to bitch about

If he can harness the inner frustrations of being a ass kissing politician now... of growing older... of trying to hold it all together

if he can once again poke fun at himself and what annoys people about him and blow it up on the big screen

If they can embrace the fact that it's okay to let go and risk running with a bad idea and doing so on a grand scale

the way that he harnessed being a cause embracing yet opulant rock star in the 90's

then yes it can be done

I don't know why they would do something like that again. Bono said in a 93 Rolling Stone interview that the music defines everything that comes after it. "If I want to take the glasses off, I gotta change my tune." After the calamity and disappointment of POP (by the band's own admission, the songs just didn't hold up), they're not going in that direction again. By going back to a more straightforward style, they're also going back to a more straightforward live situation. Think about it -- they're in their late 40s, as old as all our dads are. Can you imagine your da getting up there and humping the camera like in Zoo TV? Would you want to?

nathan1977 said:
After the calamity and disappointment of POP (by the band's own admission, the songs just didn't hold up), they're not going in that direction again. By going back to a more straightforward style, they're also going back to a more straightforward live situation.

Have you thought about the Pop-era/90's praisers? They will fall and beat you on the street because you can't say that.
Now this thread is gonna turn into another one about how the 90's were daring contrasting with 00's shit.

LyricalDrug said:
They could do it, if they made the right kind of album.

Imagine a "Zoo Internet" tour...

:drool:

...about a decade too late im afraid....if anything, that was Popmart.

:|

ZooTube :wink:

BTW, the reason that there never will be another Zoo TV is because U2 knows the setlist parties would be too boring for us. :drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom