Could this U2 marketing blitz have a negative impact?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
You know, I was thinking about how U2 are all over the place, be it in the iPod commercial which gets played A LOT, and then the U2 songs being aired on TV shows and the stuff that has nothing to do with marketing, but Bono's recent awards and then the band being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.. It's like U2 are everywhere and in our faces, which for us fans is a good thing.. But do you think the casual person might be like "Oh there is that U2 again.." or "I am really sick of that damn iPod commercial."

Could U2 once again be overexposed again like during the Joshua Tree era and into the Rattle and Hum era? Do you guys think this could overshadow the fact that the album will be great but more people are going to focus on U2 being in the media a lot instead of focusing on the album.

There's a mate of mine who, fo whatever reason (probably just to wind me up), doesnt like U2 at all. Describing them, (before the i-pod thing), as corperate sell-outs. Without even knowing what it means probably. Now this i-pod stuff has just made him ten times worse.

As for me tho, I will never be sick of the sight of the band on tv and in the papers all the time!!:wink:

Yeah, I read on other message boards that I post at that people are already sick of the iPod commercial. "If I see that damn U2/iPod commercial one more time."

Here in Australia you dont hear a damn thing about U2. I haven't heard anyone mention HTDAAB or ANYTHING U2 related. They definately aren't 'selling out' over here.....

The people that say 'If I see hat U2/iPod commercial one more time' need to turn off the fucking tv and go do something more useful instead. Why Don't You.

AussieU2fanman said:
Here in Australia you dont hear a damn thing about U2. I haven't heard anyone mention HTDAAB or ANYTHING U2 related. They definately aren't 'selling out' over here.....

I know, well at least i've not seen too.
Yeah, maybe they've been in the newsapaper a few times.
Vertigo was on 24 times (once per hour) on its release day....thats about it....

I hope it doesnt have a negative effect, because most U2 events
only happen every 4 years....see you all in Bejing :)

What does suck is now everyone will start to take more notice of them and it will be harder to get tickets! :rant:

I think the marketing blitz is fine and is too be expected for any album and tour by a major act. The added presence of these U2 commercials that are constantly on could create a backlash to the whole album and tour.

U2 have already got the marketing bit mastered. Their music-making ability is only matched by their great business sense and marketing ability. U2 have studied their audience well, and they know how to be overexposed without it having a negative impact.

Cheers,

J

Yes. Any hyped album automatically sucks. The fact that U2 are advertising with Ipod and will feature new songs on TV shows means that album will be worse. The music will be worse because it's advertised more.

jick said:
U2 have already got the marketing bit mastered. Their music-making ability is only matched by their great business sense and marketing ability. U2 have studied their audience well, and they know how to be overexposed without it having a negative impact.

Cheers,

J

I admit it. I agree with Jick. I think I can ice skate home now cause hell just froze over.

:wink:

I think a lot depends on the quality of the album, or at least how it is percieved by the general public. The first major u2 backlash was after the release of "Rattle and Hum", which was panned by critics. They avoided major backlash again until '97 when POP and POPmart were considered " failures.

So if this album gets a lot of bad press, I would expect all this advertising to backfire in a way. But if it is viewed as a success or even a "masterpiece", then I wouldn't worry about a backlash.

that is why u2 are the greatest band ever, because the "failure of their career" was the POP album and the Popmart tour....to me its an amazing album, one of their bests, and the tour was incredible, no one had ever put on a spectacle like that. Yes, in the beginning they were a little under-rehearsed, but it came out perfect to me and just the balls to pull something like that off around the world is amazing. They were spending $250,000 a night on their fans. What a horrible "slump" for u2 :rolleyes:

And yes, I do think the I_tunes commerical is getting too overplayed now, they should take it off the air. But I dont think it will make a negative impact, in the end it got peoples attention.

Back
Top Bottom